Game Thread: Warriors @ Portland Trail Blazers 2009-01-10

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will another Warrior get injured in this game?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:51 pm

YES
40%
NO
60%

Total votes : 15

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:34 am
Captain_Jack wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
Jackattack wrote:I watched the game sporadically with the sound down while hanging at my friends house. Looks like we had a decent first half until the end of the 2nd quarter. Things in general looked pretty ugly in the second half.

What happened to Randolph? Seriously, I walked in the room and saw him going to sit on the bench, and he really looked like he was going to cry. I thought wtf just happened? did someone just tell him his dog died?

What did I miss? because he looked mortified, like someone had just pulled down his pants in front of the whole stadium. Or like my four year old when he throws a fit. So did I miss him making a huge mistake? what happened?
Was he that upset from the third foul called on him? I like his passion but man he needs to chill out.

4 fouls in 10 minutes............with Nelson as his coach.............I think he was pissed cuz he knew his night was over. :roll:

I know you don't like Nelson Bigs, but he had a perfectly legitimate reason to pull Randolph. The kid is NOT ready to play. Yes he is immensely talented and yes he will eventually be a good player, but he is not NBA ready and he shows it over and over every time he gets into the game. Nelson's call on this kid is dead on.

Dont care, hes wrong...............we are sh*t, we are not winning, we need rebounding, we need defense, we need to develp Randolph and TEACH HIM!!!

Whats wrong with him fouling out?
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:43 am
bigstrads wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
Jackattack wrote:I watched the game sporadically with the sound down while hanging at my friends house. Looks like we had a decent first half until the end of the 2nd quarter. Things in general looked pretty ugly in the second half.

What happened to Randolph? Seriously, I walked in the room and saw him going to sit on the bench, and he really looked like he was going to cry. I thought wtf just happened? did someone just tell him his dog died?

What did I miss? because he looked mortified, like someone had just pulled down his pants in front of the whole stadium. Or like my four year old when he throws a fit. So did I miss him making a huge mistake? what happened?
Was he that upset from the third foul called on him? I like his passion but man he needs to chill out.

4 fouls in 10 minutes............with Nelson as his coach.............I think he was pissed cuz he knew his night was over. :roll:

I know you don't like Nelson Bigs, but he had a perfectly legitimate reason to pull Randolph. The kid is NOT ready to play. Yes he is immensely talented and yes he will eventually be a good player, but he is not NBA ready and he shows it over and over every time he gets into the game. Nelson's call on this kid is dead on.

Dont care, hes wrong...............we are sh*t, we are not winning, we need rebounding, we need defense, we need to develp Randolph and TEACH HIM!!!

Problem is Bigs when you throw rookies, especially emotional ones like Randolph, in like that and let them make mistake after mistake after mistake they start to get down on themselves and then they struggle more. Eventually if they continue to fail they start doubting their abilities and sometimes it ruins entire careers. You want to play rookies in situations where they can succeed, help them build their confidence in themselves and their abilities. So when Randolph starts to struggle Nelson pulls him out before he can get himself into a hole that he can't get out of. I've seen it happen before with rookies.

Not to mention, from a basketball standpoint, that letting rookies play when their not ready develops tons of bad habits. When kids have to improvise they start doing things that are incorrect fundamentally and it slows their future development. We're not going to win with Randolph (or without him) so there's no harm in bringing him along slowly and making sure that he has a really good foundation of basic skills before he is forced to play.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:58 am
Captain_Jack wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

Problem is Bigs when you throw rookies, especially emotional ones like Randolph, in like that and let them make mistake after mistake after mistake they start to get down on themselves and then they struggle more. Eventually if they continue to fail they start doubting their abilities and sometimes it ruins entire careers. You want to play rookies in situations where they can succeed, help them build their confidence in themselves and their abilities. So when Randolph starts to struggle Nelson pulls him out before he can get himself into a hole that he can't get out of. I've seen it happen before with rookies.

Not to mention, from a basketball standpoint, that letting rookies play when their not ready develops tons of bad habits. When kids have to improvise they start doing things that are incorrect fundamentally and it slows their future development. We're not going to win with Randolph (or without him) so there's no harm in bringing him along slowly and making sure that he has a really good foundation of basic skills before he is forced to play.

Ok ok, all your points are very valid and true.............but this is Don Nelson, what kind of track record does he have with developing bigs? = none.

He beats down the ones that dont fit his mold of the Dirks or point centers.............thats what I see here, I dont see the general correctness of your points up there in this situation, which if were made for any other coaches decisions I would take as being fully relevant to this.

But I just dont have any faith in Nelson, at all, with handling this situation correctly...........so thats why I kind of disregard those sensible explanations for whats happening with Randolph.

Every single game I have seen Randolph in...........his floor running, incredible blocks, rebounding, finishing inside and general presence on the floor...........far out weighs the silly fouls and poor shot selection.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:24 am
bigstrads wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

Ok ok, all your points are very valid and true.............but this is Don Nelson, what kind of track record does he have with developing bigs? = none.

He beats down the ones that dont fit his mold of the Dirks or point centers.............thats what I see here, I dont see the general correctness of your points up there in this situation, which if were made for any other coaches decisions I would take as being fully relevant to this.

But I just dont have any faith in Nelson, at all, with handling this situation correctly...........so thats why I kind of disregard those sensible explanations for whats happening with Randolph.

Every single game I have seen Randolph in...........his floor running, incredible blocks, rebounding, finishing inside and general presence on the floor...........far out weighs the silly fouls and poor shot selection.

I see your point on Nellie. I guess I look at Wright as the most recent example. We all bitched and complained about him not playing last year, but now that I look back on it I think it was a great decision. Wright wasn't ready either and when he got in the game he did the same things that Randolph does now. I'd look to see Randolph be a big contributor next year.

I actually don't think his skill outweighs the mistakes he makes at this point. In his extended minutes the other night after Wright got hurt, he'd make one play and then follow it up with a turn over and a foul. Those kinds of things are not only not going to help the team, but they're not going to help him be a better player.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:55 am
bigstrads wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

I completely agree here. Just because he isn't ready NOW doesn't mean he shouldn't get more minutes. For the season, we don't even have a chance at a .500, so why not develop him? SRSLY
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:56 am
FishStix wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

I completely agree here. Just because he isn't ready NOW doesn't mean he shouldn't get more minutes. For the season, we don't even have a chance at a .500, so why not develop him? SRSLY

Read what I wrote back to Bigs...letting him play won't necessarily develop him.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:28 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

I see your point on Nellie. I guess I look at Wright as the most recent example. We all bitched and complained about him not playing last year, but now that I look back on it I think it was a great decision. Wright wasn't ready either and when he got in the game he did the same things that Randolph does now. I'd look to see Randolph be a big contributor next year.

I actually don't think his skill outweighs the mistakes he makes at this point. In his extended minutes the other night after Wright got hurt, he'd make one play and then follow it up with a turn over and a foul. Those kinds of things are not only not going to help the team, but they're not going to help him be a better player.

I see what you saying Cap............but its all under assumption that leaving him out there would do more damage.

Whereas leaving him on the bench and constantly yanking him will only do damage to confidence.

With Brandan, to be honest, I see him as the same player last year...........he was knowhere near as turnover and bad shot prone as Randolph is.

Brandan this year is basically doing the same things, just more of it as hes playing more minutes, ergo, last year was a complete waste for him.

I am just of the firm belief that players only learn by playing............lets say Randolph carries on being treated like this this year, and next year Nelson decides to give him consistent minutes. I believe he will still be exactly the same and only getting used to being in games and game situations, seeing how he affects them and how he can rectify them, as soon as he starts to see consistent minutes and doesnt have to come into the game anxious to prove himself.

Brandan is the beaten house wife who will do what he (she :mrgreen:) does regardless of how you treat them.......whereas Randolph will not listen to his evil husband and keep doing things his own way until he is set free. :wink:

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:03 pm
Once again, we play a near perfect offense and still fall short by double digits in the end. How depressing. Can a brotha get a defensive rebound, for the sake of Baron's Beard?
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:19 pm
Ws played a nice offensive game, and moved the ball really well and shot it well. They just could not BUY a ****ing offensive rebound...it was brutal...second chance points 24-6 Portland, that was the story of the game, period. Nice offensive contributions by Maggs, Craw, Azu, Turiaf and CJ, and good defense on Roy by Belli, but even when Turiaf and Biedrins were in together, we were getting killed on the offensive boards. Of course Nelson had to take Randolph out, as he could not stop stupid fouls, this is one case where I would not slam Nelson for that. On the other hand, Kurz was such a joke again, minus 14 in 7 minutes!!! My fave was when he fell down on defense on a fastbreak, and they cut to Nelson holding his head in his hands...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Previous

Return to Game Threads