Game Thread: San Antonio Spurs @ Warriors 2008-01-07

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will the Spurs hand the Warriors three losses in a row?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:56 pm

YES
48%
NO
52%

Total votes : 23

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:08 am
sleandres wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:What a great win. Pietrus, Jackson, Baron, everbody.

One thing I noticed... the Spurs are crybabies. Manu and Parker whine about everything. :roll:

Thats is actually the reason I have never cared much for the team. I hate that face Tim Duncan makes when someone calls a foul on him. Its kinda like this :shock:

Great win Dubs!

Amen. He looks like a ****ing sea-turtle.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:43 am
GSW United wrote:
TMC wrote:We won our last meeting. The Spurs won't want to see it happen again.

Spurs by 8.

it happen again... :-$

I'm gonna keep betting against the Dubs til they stop winning. If we go undefeated the rest of the year, you know who you have to thank for that. :mrgreen:

As for the game itself, what a great win. Not only for the win itself, but also because the Spurs is one of the teams that usually knew how to defeat us. Seems like this team is maturing and now it's able to win some of those close wins you have to win to go deep into the playoffs.

Big, big game by S-Jax, with 12 points in overtime. And Baron was also amazing, particularly in the final minutes of the last quarter and during OT. Both definitely should make the all star. And, winning games like this one, I can't see how the coaches would justify keeping them out.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:31 am
In a way, we beat the Spurs at their best... Think about it, we lose all momentum heading into OT after Tony Parker drains a three. Spurs comes out and makes the first basket and we struggle in our first possession.

AB was in foul trouble, so we had to use MP more. Steve Jackson was COLD all night! Monta was patient and hit a lot of mid range jumpers but missed a couple of Monta-liek shots. (BTW Parkers toe appeared to be on the line) MP rejection was called for a foul for no reason... Baron was foul going to the rim and no call, and technical on Nelly...

I can name coutnless amount of things that should of kept the Warriors down but they refused to lose. Actually, Baron refuse to let them lose. Proprs to Nelly for calling plays to AB all night long. You get him rolling, you get the Warriors rolling!@!@

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 am
I think this game just shows once again than when Baron is at the top of his game he's a top 5 player in the NBA. And that's not just lip service. He's an MVP caliber guy when he's on, as we saw last year when he was playing out of his mind against the Mavs.

Baron is a special player who unfortunately isn't able to be at his best all the time. If he played every game like he did last night the Dubs would be a top 4 seed in the west. Which is why it's so frustrating moving forward... if we sign him for the max we're going to have an inconsistent star for years to come. But if we let him go we have no one of his caliber to replace him.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:19 am
StuckInSoCal wrote:I think this game just shows once again than when Baron is at the top of his game he's a top 5 player in the NBA. And that's not just lip service. He's an MVP caliber guy when he's on, as we saw last year when he was playing out of his mind against the Mavs.

Baron is a special player who unfortunately isn't able to be at his best all the time. If he played every game like he did last night the Dubs would be a top 4 seed in the west. Which is why it's so frustrating moving forward... if we sign him for the max we're going to have an inconsistent star for years to come. But if we let him go we have no one of his caliber to replace him.

Nobody is denying that, but the fact that he's not consistent (albeit he's always productive, as long he stays healthy) makes that max contract it a tough sell.

Still... can we afford to not sign him?. I don't think so.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:40 am
TMC wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:I think this game just shows once again than when Baron is at the top of his game he's a top 5 player in the NBA. And that's not just lip service. He's an MVP caliber guy when he's on, as we saw last year when he was playing out of his mind against the Mavs.

Nobody is denying that, but the fact that he's not consistent (albeit he's always productive, as long he stays healthy) makes that max contract it a tough sell.

Still... can we afford to not sign him?. I don't think so.

That's one question. The next question: can anyone else afford (or are willing) to outpay the Warriors?

This reminds me of the Barry Bonds situation a few years back when the Giants offered him arbitration instead of big dollars and he accepted arbitration because there wasn't the market out there to pay him what he wanted. Davis may be in a similar situation, especially with all these wonderful new stars entering the league demanding big bucks.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:46 am

He can't be consistent putting all the minutes in as well as the style of play that Warriors maintain. When the jump shots are not falling, he is going to try to find another way to score, and that's when he starts forcing shots, turning the ball over, etc.
-----------------------------------
The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:46 am
It was a very good win. However, it is just a win in an 82-game season and it won't mean much if the team can't maintain the consistency. The fight for the playoffs is going to be tough this year.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:47 am
StuckInSoCal wrote:That's one question. The next question: can anyone else afford (or are willing) to outpay the Warriors?

Yeah, there will be teams with enough cap to make him a max offer (from the top of my mind Philly, Charlotte & Atlanta will have the money to make him a max offer), but I can't see Baron interested in any of those teams, and I can't see them interested in Baron at that price, either.

Maybe, just maybe, Atlanta, if they're willing to pay the luxury tax, but that doesn't seem likely.

There may be other teams in position to sign to that contract, tho. I haven't checked all of them.
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:52 am
Philly has Andre Miller and that youngster at the PG, Charlotte has Felton, and Atlanta has Acie Law. I don't see these teams being interested in Baron to the extent of the max contract. I don't know if anyone would offer that seeing what Magic has put themselves through.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:37 am
~W~ wrote:This is WHY BARON is the best pg in the league.. When he wants to, he can take over a game...

C'mon the guy WOW...speechless... I BETTER NOT SEE one of these BARON IS OVERRATED THREAD CRAP

:D

a man who knows his point guards...
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:53 am
StuckInSoCal wrote:Baron is a special player who unfortunately isn't able to be at his best all the time. If he played every game like he did last night the Dubs would be a top 4 seed in the west. Which is why it's so frustrating moving forward... if we sign him for the max we're going to have an inconsistent star for years to come. But if we let him go we have no one of his caliber to replace him.

until the warriors find a legit backup pg, there's no way BD can expend this type of energy for 40+ minutes and play at the level he did last night. inevitably there ARE going to be games where he just doesn't have it. he just has to pace himself and pick his spots to take over the game.

i felt bad for BD when the tv camera zoomed in on parker, chillin' and resting on the bench, and the next shot was BD, STILL on the court w/o a rest, dripping sweat, having to be all-everything for the team.

the same thing happened with the new orleans game, shot at CP resting, BD huffing and puffing.

and no other point guard in the league has the kind of responsibility that BD has to the warriors...no one.
Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:20 pm
Congrats on winning this one guys. :) I didn't get to see the game since I'm out of the country for 3 weeks. Man, I missed a lot of basketball games.
a.k.a. 33 & 3

"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships." --- Michael Jordan

"My main objective was not to succumb, but to overcome." --- Alonzo Mourning
Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:20 am
is it just me or the Spurs are really worse this year?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:49 am
themind wrote:is it just me or the Spurs are really worse this year?

I don't think so. That team changes a lot for the playoffs...
Previous

Return to Game Threads