Game Thread: Warriors @ Utah Jazz 2007-05-07

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Can the Warriors play their style against the Jazz?

Poll ended at Tue May 08, 2007 12:48 am

YES
86%
NO
14%

Total votes : 29

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:46 pm
I think Al will show up big in this series both on defense and offense....you cant keep a 19 point per game guy down for too long. Warriors steal game one as the Jazz will be tired and hung over from a tough series against the Rockets
I have seen the 49ers win a Superbowl. I have now seen the Giants win a world series. I need one more championship in my lifetime to make my life complete...
Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:02 pm
Ok so here it is my series prediction! So far I am 6-0 on predicting the winners of each game as I did so before the Warriors Mavs Series, check the 4/22 game day thread if you don't believe me.

I really think Monta and Al will have a big bounce back series. Monta looked like a 21 year old finally in that series and I just think the matchup with Devin Harris didn't fit him well. Speed vs. Speed cancelled each other out so look for Monta to get better looks and have a big series. I think Al will have a decent series, I would have liked him a lot more if we were playing Houston but I think he will help out more than he did in the Dallas series. That's the scary thing about these Warriors they were basically missing two of their key parts in the Dallas series in Al and Monta so think if they start playing well how everything will go.

You have to assume Baron and S-Jax will cool off a little bit but I still think they will be very effective. Baron has a decent matchup against Deron Williams, I think Williams can bang with him but Baron's quickness might get Williams in some foul trouble. S-Jax will have a tougher matchup defensively against Boozer as I think that Boozer is even more dangerous than Noshowitzki. Boozer is the real x-factor in this series and is the only guy that really scares me. I think it is important that we get a body on him on the defensive and offensive glass. The guy could kill us on second chance points and a lot of that will fall on S-Jax and Al. I just don't think the Jazz will have enough weapons to keep up with us and for that reason I'm picking the Warriors in 5.

Game 1- W's by 7
Game 2- Jazz by 5
Game 3- W's by 11
Game 4- W's by 6
Game 5- W's by 1

I was very close to saying 6 but I think we'll get it done on the road and hope for a 7 game series with Phoenix and SA

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:40 am
There might be a chance that the Warriors will lose game 1, but if the Warriors take game 2, then the series will end on game 5.
New. Stuff.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:47 am
I don't know. I'm still picking Dubs in 6, but I wouldn't be surprised if we win in 5... or 7, although I'd rather not wait til that 7th game.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:56 am
I believe Boozer will be huge but the Warriors can throw a number of diverse defenders at him - Biedrins has the length and speed, Harrington has enough muscle and strength and SJackson has great mobility and intensity. In all, Boozer will be guarded well and often. It is the play of AK and Okur that will cause the Warriors problems. Deron should be relatively shut out in this series, the way Terry was in the 1st round. The Jazz will find it hard to guard JRich as they have noone capable of keeping up with him. Their bench is also outdone with only Millsap being a good contibutor. The Warriors have Monta, Barnes and Pietrus who can fill it up and play both ends of the floor

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:47 am
ya for the warriors, they pretty much have to close out everything by game 6. Its going to be painful if they have to go to a game 7 unless teh momentum is carrying us from game 6.
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:05 am
migya wrote:. It is the play of AK and Okur that will cause the Warriors problems. Deron should be relatively shut out in this series, the way Terry was in the 1st round. The Jazz will find it hard to guard JRich as they have noone capable of keeping up with him. Their bench is also outdone with only Millsap being a good contibutor.

Wow, you guys are pretty optimistic!! We'll see. Umm, I think you are overlooking Harpring and Giriceck as far as writing off the Jazz bench. If anything, that is where the Jazz hold their biggest edge against the W's. And, do you remember our rookie 2/3 Brewer dropping 20 points on your head this year?. Hope partying with Snoop and the chronic was all good for BD and S-Jax. Like the name says, Jazz in 6.
Be nice to us or we will bring democracy to your country.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:45 am
jazzin6 wrote:Wow, you guys are pretty optimistic!! We'll see. Umm, I think you are overlooking Harpring and Giriceck as far as writing off the Jazz bench. If anything, that is where the Jazz hold their biggest edge against the W's. And, do you remember our rookie 2/3 Brewer dropping 20 points on your head this year?. Hope partying with Snoop and the chronic was all good for BD and S-Jax. Like the name says, Jazz in 6.

Well, Giriceck sucks. Harpring is nice but was awful in his last game against us. Brewer probably won't play much for Sloan during the playoffs (although I think he might be their best option to stop Monta)... Nah, your edge is inside only.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:30 am
I disagree with the "Deron Williams will be completly shut out like Jason Terry of the 1st round" because Deron Williams isn't the same kind of player as Jason Terry and Jason Terry wasn't even completly shut out. He had a dominating game in Game 2, but that was mostly because Baron Davis was ejected. However, Deron Williams will post his usual numbers but Mehmet Okur will be shut down. The Jazz fans aren't looking at the Warriors kind of play, they talk about how Okur will spread the defense. Well that would only work if the Warriors play zone, and if the Warriors do play zone, when is spreading the defense effective? When you have a post player! Not when you have versatile small forwards as your centers.
New. Stuff.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:15 pm
So in other words, this will be a very tough, interesting series for the Warriors. Deron is good, AK is up and down this year, but can be good, Fisher.. well we all know fisher. Okur was very good from the 3pt line, and Boozer is a monster inside when motivated (which was all series). Warriors will have to keep running. Sloan is a master of the half court set and thats what the Warriors style sets to counter by running them out of the building. We just have to find a way to win. That is all.

Anyways, beyond the matchup worries and deliberations,

JUST WIN!!!!
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:30 pm
Jazz take game 1 by 7pts. Warriors come back to win by 3 in Game2 and sieze HCA

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:58 pm
jazzin6 wrote:
migya wrote:. It is the play of AK and Okur that will cause the Warriors problems. Deron should be relatively shut out in this series, the way Terry was in the 1st round. The Jazz will find it hard to guard JRich as they have noone capable of keeping up with him. Their bench is also outdone with only Millsap being a good contibutor.

Wow, you guys are pretty optimistic!! We'll see. Umm, I think you are overlooking Harpring and Giriceck as far as writing off the Jazz bench. If anything, that is where the Jazz hold their biggest edge against the W's. And, do you remember our rookie 2/3 Brewer dropping 20 points on your head this year?. Hope partying with Snoop and the chronic was all good for BD and S-Jax. Like the name says, Jazz in 6.

If you had watched our last 20 games or so leading up to the playoffs, you would understand why we are so optimistic. We had 20 point leads, at one point, in all of our home games down the stretch and San Antonio is the only team we did not play well against in the last few weeks. We were running folks out of the gym in several of our road wins, against some good teams, towards the end as well.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:04 pm
new poster here - always been reading, never took the chance to post my 2 cent. I am from Italy, but live in SF - I was a season ticket holder 2 years ago, then couldn't make it this year, but have seen several games at the arena this year, last thursday's win included

surfing some Jazz boards, it seems that they are so confident of taking us in 4 or 5 - let them believe so, they will be so disappointed this time

GS in 6 - it's the most reasonable assumption if you understand just a little basketball...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:06 pm
jazzin6 wrote:

Please note, we blew the Jazz out at the Oracle. The Jazz did not look to give a freebee, they were looking to lock up that 4th seed which they didn't do 'til the last couple games. We have the advantage on the bench regardless of our starting lineup. If we go small ball, Biedrins, Barnes, and MP are better high energy players than the Jazz's. If we go with Biedrins starting, that still proves so. Then you have the lineup from Game 6 with Monta, Harrington, and MP off the bench. Boozer is your advantage. But I think Harrington or Beans can deny and keep up with him well enough.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:16 pm
mattiri wrote:new poster here - always been reading, never took the chance to post my 2 cent. I am from Italy, but live in SF - I was a season ticket holder 2 years ago, then couldn't make it this year, but have seen several games at the arena this year, last thursday's win included

surfing some Jazz boards, it seems that they are so confident of taking us in 4 or 5 - let them believe so, they will be so disappointed this time

GS in 6 - it's the most reasonable assumption if you understand just a little basketball...

well its about time buddy. you know any hot italian woman around here? but yeah, i agree that utah is in for a run for their money, one thing i fear is baron agrevating his hamstring more and being even worse off... deron williams could really thrive if barons leg isnt halfway cosh. we HAVE to run or it could be ugly, utah is going to rebound the crap outta the ball if they slow it down.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads