Game Thread: Memphis Grizzlies @ Warriors 2007-02-21

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Do you expect another trade before the deadline?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:34 am

YES
50%
NO
50%

Total votes : 16

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:45 am
If it wasn't for Miller's phenominal shooting, this game wouldn't have been nearly as close. Did anyone else notice how much J-Rich wanted to win in the 4th? How I missed him......SJax played great, not much of a clutch shooter though, is that 2 air balls now and the end of a game?

Team seems to have better chemistry without Baron.....with all the capable scorers around him, he should easily be averaging 10apg when he returns to action.
Nothing good comes easily...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:48 am
luckyace wrote:If it wasn't for Miller's phenominal shooting, this game wouldn't have been nearly as close. Did anyone else notice how much J-Rich wanted to win in the 4th? How I missed him......SJax played great, not much of a clutch shooter though, is that 2 air balls now and the end of a game?

Team seems to have better chemistry without Baron.....with all the capable scorers around him, he should easily be averaging 10apg when he returns to action.

Baron really will have many guns at his disposal and he better defer to them more often than not because that is how it will work best. This season still looks promising but it is the offseason that is interesting as guys like Barnes, Abu*$%^& and Pietrus will be looking for a contract and deserve more than what they get now. Still, more talent is better than not enough and there is always the possibility to trade quantity for quality

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:00 am
migya wrote:Baron really will have many guns at his disposal and he better defer to them more often than not because that is how it will work best. This season still looks promising but it is the offseason that is interesting as guys like Barnes, Abu*$%^& and Pietrus will be looking for a contract and deserve more than what they get now. Still, more talent is better than not enough and there is always the possibility to trade quantity for quality

If I had to choose from one of those, I would go with Barnes.
Nothing good comes easily...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:44 am
32 wrote:and play decent defense.

That's the only real reason I'd rather have Bynum over Saras... but I'd rather have lots of other players instead of those two.

luckyace wrote:
migya wrote:Baron really will have many guns at his disposal and he better defer to them more often than not because that is how it will work best. This season still looks promising but it is the offseason that is interesting as guys like Barnes, Abu*$%^& and Pietrus will be looking for a contract and deserve more than what they get now. Still, more talent is better than not enough and there is always the possibility to trade quantity for quality

I'd go with Azu... then Barnes and MP would be the last option. But we'll probably be able to keep just one of them.

luckyace wrote:Team seems to have better chemistry without Baron

I'd hate to see that... I don't want to think about what may happen if we actually win more games without Baron than with him.

btw, Warrior Wonder of the season, even above Monta:

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:20 am
TMC wrote:
luckyace wrote:Team seems to have better chemistry without Baron

I'd hate to see that... I don't want to think about what may happen if we actually win more games without Baron than with him.

That would be a plus because that would make Baron tradeable and a package involving him could get a superstar! IF Monta can become a great PG, Baron is the one that should go (if anyone should) and a player like Pierce could be had

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:05 am
A nice win last night. It was not the prettiest win, but the Warriors found a way to pull it out and that is all that counts. Some observations both good and bad:

1. Monta was great in overtime. I was saying during the game that I thought he needed to get some more shots. He has developed a solid mid-range jump shot and is quite accurate shooting it. I would like to see Monta shooting a few more shots throughout a game to keep the defense from simply guarding against his drives to the hoop. Overall, he was solid last night. 22 points, 7 assists, six boards and I think just two turnovers. Monta is turning a new leaf at the point guard position.

2. What was the defensive plan on Mike Miller? I know he was making some tough shots, but there were a number of times when the Warriors were caught doubling and trying to rotate to get to Miller and know one was within five feet of him. Jim Barnett kept saying last night that nobody should be helping off Miller. Fortunately, Miller's 45 were not enough to beat the Warriors.

3. Others have said this and I will go along with it, when Andris Biedrins is active and involved in the game, the Warriors success right sky rockets. His energy and ability on both ends of the floor last night were great. He stayed out of foul trouble for the most part and was a vital component to last night's win.

4. I am not a big fan, but Stephen Jackson made some big shots for the Warriors. He lead the team in scoring and for the most part, his shot selection was not too bad. I questioned a few threes and some drives to the hoop, but he played better last night than normal in my eyes. He still has work to do to get better, but I thought he took a positive step last night.

5. The presence of Jason Richardson not only added some scoring with 17 points, but he had ten rebounds as well which really helped even more. The Warriors have struggled rebounding this season and with a leaper like Richardson attacking the glass, this problem can be addressed which in turn will lower the opponents second chance points.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:25 am
TMC wrote:
luckyace wrote:

I'd go with Azu... then Barnes and MP would be the last option. But we'll probably be able to keep just one of them.

Azuibuke, for sure. The kid's putting up phenominal rookie numbers.

If Pietrus wants to stay another 2-3 years for a minor amount of money, then whatever. I wouldn't even offer Barnes a contract.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:38 am
32 wrote:If Pietrus wants to stay another 2-3 years for a minor amount of money, then whatever. I wouldn't even offer Barnes a contract.

I'm sure Pietrus re-signing numbers will be around $ 5-6 million per year, while Barnes will be much cheaper. Probably around $1-1.5 million...
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:41 pm
TMC wrote:
32 wrote:If Pietrus wants to stay another 2-3 years for a minor amount of money, then whatever. I wouldn't even offer Barnes a contract.

I'm sure Pietrus re-signing numbers will be around $ 5-6 million per year, while Barnes will be much cheaper. Probably around $1-1.5 million...

Yeah... screw that. Just let him go. If Barnes wants to stay for 1 million a year, keep him by all means.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:41 pm
JayPat wrote:
TMC wrote:

Yeah... screw that. Just let him go. If Barnes wants to stay for 1 million a year, keep him by all means.

If we can keep Barnes for 4 or 5 million a year less than Pietrus, kick the Frenchman to the curb.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:16 pm
I agree re Pietrus - best would be to trade him for some big...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:23 pm
coltraning wrote:I agree re Pietrus - best would be to trade him for some big...

that's what I've been saying recently and Mullin should package two or three players for a very good player

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:29 pm
dude, pietrus is driving me nuts, i dont know why they dont do dribbling drills to no end with this guy. he's horrible, its been what almost 4 years now? i dont see him getting much better. let him walk, keep OZ around.

yea yeah he's have a good year as far as fg % and all that, but he's too limited of a player to sign for any real money.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:08 pm
ChronicallyInclined wrote:dude, pietrus is driving me nuts, i dont know why they dont do dribbling drills to no end with this guy. he's horrible, its been what almost 4 years now? i dont see him getting much better. let him walk, keep OZ around.

yea yeah he's have a good year as far as fg % and all that, but he's too limited of a player to sign for any real money.

:D Excellent opinion.

Pietrus has just about peaked... and he's still fundamentally retarded. Guy needs dribbling drills, passing excercises, and (even then) he's still not star-material (like many people here were claiming).

Azuibuke is worth a resign. Pietrus isn't.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:40 pm
Agreed. We shouldn't resign a player that lacks the basic fundamentals. The guy only shoots from one area. He has no mid-range jumper, no ball handling and passing skills... he's pretty much not fundamentally sounded. If MP returns next season and Azu doesn't, I'm going to go nuts. If anything, everyone should be resigned except MP. Barnes, Azu, Monta, Biedrins, and Powell should be Warriors next year, not MP. He's shown us his potential with us, Mully would be crazy to not let him walk and let others do.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads