Game Thread: Memphis Grizzlies @ Warriors 2007-02-21

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Do you expect another trade before the deadline?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:34 am

YES
8
50%
NO
8
50%
 
Total votes : 16


Rookie
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:51 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:14 am
Reasons we might lose:
1) Ellis will have about 8 turnovers...
2) Richardson wasn't right before his broken wrist, he'll have a poor shooting night...
3) Biedrins will, by the end of the first quarter, foul out...
4) Harrington will miss 10 layups and air ball a few three's...
5) SJax will get tossed after a couple of quick T's...
6) Barnes will attempt to take over...unsuccessfully...
7) Cabbage will be tossed over and over...
8) Powell will be the most productive and active player on the floor but will only get 5 minutes of playing time...
9) Pau is back!
10) The entire grizzlies roster will have a career night...

Reasons we might win:
1) Powell will get more than 5 minutes of playing time...
2) Oracle Arena fans...


I need some prozac....
Nothing good comes easily...
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:15 am
luckyace wrote:Reasons we might lose:
1) Ellis will have about 8 turnovers...
2) Richardson wasn't right before his broken wrist, he'll have a poor shooting night...
3) Biedrins will, by the end of the first quarter, foul out...
4) Harrington will miss 10 layups and air ball a few three's...
5) SJax will get tossed after a couple of quick T's...
6) Barnes will attempt to take over...unsuccessfully...
7) Cabbage will be tossed over and over...
8) Powell will be the most productive and active player on the floor but will only get 5 minutes of playing time...
9) Pau is back!
10) The entire grizzlies roster will have a career night...

Reasons we might win:
1) Powell will get more than 5 minutes of playing time...
2) Oracle Arena fans...


I need some prozac....

Your first 1-7 are just being pessimistic.

Monta's turnovers have majorly tuned down lately (he's averaging 2.1 a game in February, much better than his 3.8 in December). Richardson was never more than 80% healthy when he played earlier this year (his knee was still extremely sore). His return will be a blessing, not a curse.

Harrington is a streaky player; usually rewarding a bad game with one or 2 great ones. Al hasn't shot under 40% in the past 3 games. You might be right, with this prediction, but he'll likely get less shots with Richardson's return. Jackson has been a friggin' angel since coming to the Bay; in fact, he and Artest both claim it was Tinsley who used to egg them into those moronic choices (and, after that recent barfight, in contrast with Artest's behavior in Sacramento and Jackson's in Golden State, I gotta agree).

Barnes is a one-season hit. His FG% has declined every month of the season... but I've found he's less prone to try and take over games lately. Will he launch an ill-advised three? Sure, probably a couple. But nothing worse than that.

And Cabbage is worthless; don't count on him.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:16 pm
Dude, lay off on Cabbage. He's not a major player. He's fine for 10-15 minutes a game and he's a good shooter (everyone has slumps).
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:01 pm
JayPat wrote:Dude, lay off on Cabbage. He's not a major player. He's fine for 10-15 minutes a game and he's a good shooter (everyone has slumps).

'Roony reminds of Anthony Roberson.

Lotta hype, lotta people talking about how good he used to be (or still could be), lotta support, and a lotta let-down. So far, all Roberson and Jasikevicious have shown me is a lotta sizzle and not a lotta steak.

A streaky shooter is a dime a dozen. Right now, I believe that Will Bynum would be a much better alternative than Sarunas Jasikevicious (especially in Nelly's offense).

If we could bring back Bynum and drop Cabbage, without taking a salary hit, I'd do it. Maybe I'm being picky, talking about which 3rd-string PG I'd rather have, but it's true.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

Rookie
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:51 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:34 pm
32 wrote:Your first 1-7 are just being pessimistic.

Monta's turnovers have majorly tuned down lately (he's averaging 2.1 a game in February, much better than his 3.8 in December). Richardson was never more than 80% healthy when he played earlier this year (his knee was still extremely sore). His return will be a blessing, not a curse.

Harrington is a streaky player; usually rewarding a bad game with one or 2 great ones. Al hasn't shot under 40% in the past 3 games. You might be right, with this prediction, but he'll likely get less shots with Richardson's return. Jackson has been a friggin' angel since coming to the Bay; in fact, he and Artest both claim it was Tinsley who used to egg them into those moronic choices (and, after that recent barfight, in contrast with Artest's behavior in Sacramento and Jackson's in Golden State, I gotta agree).

Barnes is a one-season hit. His FG% has declined every month of the season... but I've found he's less prone to try and take over games lately. Will he launch an ill-advised three? Sure, probably a couple. But nothing worse than that.

And Cabbage is worthless; don't count on him.


Don't think for 1 second that I believe all that, but everyone was predicting a warriors win, just wanted to switch it up a bit. I was just giving reasons why they could "possibly" lose, I never said they would lose.

Glad to see Ellis is cutting back on the turnovers, but he is still very young and a few turnovers are expected, but he more than makes up for it. And I'm the biggest J-Rich fan you'll find, i never said his return is a curse...

Only gripe I have about Al and SJax is they seem to miss a lot of point blank shots, get a bit lax near the hoop and dont finish like they are capable of.

Warriors 110 - Grizzlies 109.
Nothing good comes easily...
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:58 pm
luckyace wrote:Only gripe I have about Al and SJax is they seem to miss a lot of point blank shots, get a bit lax near the hoop and dont finish like they are capable of.

I've noticed this, too (mostly with Harrington).

With Al, it's almost like his shot selection and FG% is reversed from the average player.

What I mean by that is this: he misses easy, point-blank shots that 99 out of 100 people would make... but, in the same game, he'll make tough fade-away's, physical lay-ups, and insanely long 3's look like nothing.

Al's a weird guy. In a good way. :mrgreen:
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:55 pm
32 wrote:
JayPat wrote:Dude, lay off on Cabbage. He's not a major player. He's fine for 10-15 minutes a game and he's a good shooter (everyone has slumps).

'Roony reminds of Anthony Roberson.

Lotta hype, lotta people talking about how good he used to be (or still could be), lotta support, and a lotta let-down. So far, all Roberson and Jasikevicious have shown me is a lotta sizzle and not a lotta steak.

A streaky shooter is a dime a dozen. Right now, I believe that Will Bynum would be a much better alternative than Sarunas Jasikevicious (especially in Nelly's offense).

If we could bring back Bynum and drop Cabbage, without taking a salary hit, I'd do it. Maybe I'm being picky, talking about which 3rd-string PG I'd rather have, but it's true.

gotta dissent, here, bro. Bynum can't even spell assist - at least cabbage can run a nice screen and roll with Biedrins. As a reserve PG he is fine, and gives you someone to shoot the techs

BTW, don't look now, but Ws win tomorrow, they are in 8th place. Don't know what would be more surprising. Ws being in 8th place after their abysmal string of injuries and with dungmurphy on the team for the first 40 games, or the fact that the 8th seed in the west would have a 26-29 record! 8)
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:40 pm
coltraning wrote:gotta dissent, here, bro. Bynum can't even spell assist - at least cabbage can run a nice screen and roll with Biedrins. As a reserve PG he is fine, and gives you someone to shoot the techs

Dunno about that...

Bynum played in 15 games last year, averaging 10 MPG, and kept a 1.3 APG average. That's roughly 4 or 5 every start (which isn't Baron-status, but it's still do-able for a backup PG).

Cabbage is a slightly better playmaker, but Bynum was masterful at the drive & kick (something 'Roony doesn't do)... and that would pay off WAY MORE in Nelly's system than Cabbage's screen and roll.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21380
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:11 am
coltraning wrote:the fact that the 8th seed in the west would have a 26-29 record! 8)



It is surprising isn't it but that can be put down to pretty much every team in the West winning a fair few games (even the Grizz have managed to win some and won't end up with an absolute disgraceful record) and the top teams (Mavs and Suns especially) winning so much
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:25 am
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:the fact that the 8th seed in the west would have a 26-29 record! 8)



It is surprising isn't it but that can be put down to pretty much every team in the West winning a fair few games (even the Grizz have managed to win some and won't end up with an absolute disgraceful record) and the top teams (Mavs and Suns especially) winning so much


Yeah - have you ever recalled a season where 2 teams in one league, let alone one conference went 30-2 and had 2 double digit win streaks prior to the all-star break? Nash demonstrated once again why he is the MVP. Suns were LOST without him and they SPANKED the clippers in LA w/him. That's another reason why the likely Mavs matchup if the ws get the 8th is the best they will do. I am not delusional enough to think they will win the series, but if they make 8th seed, don't be at all surprised to see them win 2 games. They match up well with the best record in the league (I still think a healthy Phoenix is the best team).
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:30 am
32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:gotta dissent, here, bro. Bynum can't even spell assist - at least cabbage can run a nice screen and roll with Biedrins. As a reserve PG he is fine, and gives you someone to shoot the techs

Dunno about that...

Bynum played in 15 games last year, averaging 10 MPG, and kept a 1.3 APG average. That's roughly 4 or 5 every start (which isn't Baron-status, but it's still do-able for a backup PG).

Cabbage is a slightly better playmaker, but Bynum was masterful at the drive & kick (something 'Roony doesn't do)... and that would pay off WAY MORE in Nelly's system than Cabbage's screen and roll.

must have missed those assists -maybe I was getting a beer :wink: cabbage averages 9 dimes per 48, and the thrill averages 5. I always saw Bynum who looked for his shot more than to dime it. I think you've always been more taken with bynum than I have...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

Role Player
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:44 am
I like the Warriors chances of winning tonight. With two big games coming up against the Clippers and Lakers back-to-back on Saturday and Sunday, it is vital the team gets off to a winning start after the all-star break with a win.

This one should be high scoring with little defense. I expect a Warriors win by a score of something like 121-109.

Role Player
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:51 pm
Location: Fremont
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:27 pm
I think the return of J-rich gives us a big boost even if he doesnt do alot.

Warriors by 7
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:04 pm
coltraning wrote:
32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:gotta dissent, here, bro. Bynum can't even spell assist - at least cabbage can run a nice screen and roll with Biedrins. As a reserve PG he is fine, and gives you someone to shoot the techs

Dunno about that...

Bynum played in 15 games last year, averaging 10 MPG, and kept a 1.3 APG average. That's roughly 4 or 5 every start (which isn't Baron-status, but it's still do-able for a backup PG).

Cabbage is a slightly better playmaker, but Bynum was masterful at the drive & kick (something 'Roony doesn't do)... and that would pay off WAY MORE in Nelly's system than Cabbage's screen and roll.

must have missed those assists -maybe I was getting a beer :wink: cabbage averages 9 dimes per 48, and the thrill averages 5. I always saw Bynum who looked for his shot more than to dime it. I think you've always been more taken with bynum than I have...


Yeah, I agree here. Cabbage is a better playmaker and passer --and a better shooter-- than Bynum. Sure, Bynum is better at driving. But do we need that from a backup PG? No. Especially w/ Jax, Azubuike, Harrington probably on the floor.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:58 pm
I think Bynum's passing was underrated. He wasn't a playmaker at all, but neither was Monta last year (in fact, Bynum's A2TO numbers were better than Ellis' last season).

When given the choice, in a run & gun offense, who I'd rather have running the point, Bynum gets my nod. Cabbage is slow, needs a half-court setting to thrive, and is an up-and-down shooter. Bynum can drive & dish, finish on the break, and play decent defense.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest