Game Thread: Warriors @ Indiana Pacers 2014-03-04

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:24 pm
Golden State Warriors (36 - 24) @ Indiana Pacers (46 - 13)

Start time: 4:00 PM PST @ Bankers Life Fieldhouse
Local TV: CSN Bay Area
Nat TV: None

Probable starters for the Golden State Warriors:
ImageImageImageImageImage
C - Andrew Bogut
PF - David Lee
SF - Andre Iguodala
SG - Klay Thompson
PG - Stephen Curry

Probable starters for the Indiana Pacers:
ImageImageImageImageImage
C - Roy Hibbert
PF - David West
SF - Paul George
SG - Lance Stephenson
PG - George Hill

Team leaders:
PPG - S. Curry (23.9) | P. George (22.6)
RPG - A. Bogut (10.5) | R. Hibbert (7.6)
APG - S. Curry (8.9) | L. Stephenson (5.1)
SPG - A. Iguodala (1.7) | P. George (1.8)
BPG - A. Bogut (1.8) | R. Hibbert (2.5)
I've been a Warriors fan since they traded Chris Webber. Can you imagine how that's like....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:09 pm
The key to beating Indy is winning 3 of the following 5 categories:

1, The DLee-DWest matchup

These guys are practically doppelgängers. Aside from Lee's advantage in finesse and West's superior strength, I don't see a lot of difference in their approach. Lotta offense, minor defense, both are smart bigs who look to establish easy buckets out of the face-up and can explode for 10+ in any given quarter. If you're the Warriors, you want to take this matchup on the road. If DLee can upset West's rhythm and keep him off the glass, that's step one.

2, Forcing Hibbert to the bench

The only center in the entire league with more Defensive Win Shares and a higher Defensive Rating than Andrew Bogut is Roy Hibbert. It is paramount that the Warriors find a way to get him off the floor. Whether that's running small ball and hitting three's or instructing the Splash Brothers to take it at his chest, Hibbert is the key to Indy's defensive scheme. In boxing, they say kill the body and the head will die. Hibbert is Indy's body, George is their head. The Warriors will have a much better go of it if Paul George wants to play NBA Jam versus Steph Curry.

3, Keeping role players in check

A trademark of the Warriors' last year was Klay Thompson allowing huge nights from guys like Jimmer Ferdette, Marcus Thornton, & JJ Reddick. Indiana is a team without a PG. If Iggy and Klay can deny access to the wings and Bogut does his job in the paint, the Warriors will be playing to their game plan to a T. This means that Mark Jackson is content to let guys like George Hill try and beat him. The success of Indy's bench and mediocre point guard will be a barometer in this game.

4, Giving Curry another gunner

And I don't mean DLee, who can get his inside whenever he wants; I'm talking Klay, Steve Blake, Andre Iguodala... or, God forbid, Harrison Barnes actually shows up and explodes for 20. Any extra firepower the Warriors can throw at Indy from outside will open up Steph's game and the Warriors only go as far as #30. If the Blake-Iggy-Barnes tandem combines for 20+, we have a shot.

5, Iggy earns his money

The Warriors paid Iguodala NOT for his glue-guy offensive contributions, but for his defensive stopper capabilities in D'ing up guys like LeBron (who got a triple-double on him), Durant (who dropped 60 on him), and George... whom the Pacers ride in the same fashion we ride Curry. If Iguodala can get George to shoot below 40%, the Warriors will be in it. This is the job Iguodala was hired for. I forgive him surrendering big nights to Gods like LeBron and KD, but Paul George is still learning and a veteran like Iggy should find a way to put quick fouls on him and upset his rhythm.

I'm confident if the Warriors can get 3 of those 5 done, they'll be in it come the 4th quarter.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:19 pm
Looks like ticky-tack fouls early.

Paul George is 1/1 against Klay, 1/3 against Iguodala early on.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:15 pm
So pissed I missed this game. So far so good with the Suns leading the Clippers by 11 in the 2nd. It's going to be difficult to win the division because the Clips' remaining schedule (at least through 3/27) is a cakewalk.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:53 pm
Great win for the Warriors. I wish I'd seen the game.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:15 pm
Dubs whiffed on my first 2 points, but handled the last 3 and (like I said) 3 of the 5 was all it took to ice Indy.

What a tremendous game!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:51 pm
That sort of game shows how good the team can be. Even with Curry and Lee not doing that well, the team still pulls it out. Shows how good the guards we have can be.

Be great to see the team move up the standings but may be unlikely as Houston and Clips are well ahead and winning most of their games as well.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to Game Threads