The Football (Soccer, In The Colonies) Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:23 pm
Lol @ football being 100 MPH... more like jogging here and there, short sprints.. and a ball moving around fast. Soccer just needs to update their technology...

And stop threatening to not watch soccer... noone in the USA even watches it already!
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:47 pm
Beast Mode wrote:Lol @ football being 100 MPH... more like jogging here and there, short sprints.. and a ball moving around fast. Soccer just needs to update their technology...

RobDIKUM wrote:
bigstrads wrote:F*ck man, this is football...............the way its always been because it purely relies on a humans ability to see and comprehend everything going on at 100 miles an hour around him

Really James??? I mean.... Really?

Yes.................REALLY!

You guys try being a ref in the middle of/all over a 45 metre wide, 100 metre long pitch, with 20 players constantly moving position all around you, zipping a ball all over the pitch (from speeds of 10 to 70 mph) at different heights and directions..............with a 20/30/40/50/60/70/80/90,000 plus crowd screaming at you constantly, as well as the players screaming at you for everything you do...............WITH NO STOPPAGES!!! or timeouts or real breaks in any of that..............for 45 minutes straight x2.

Hey, this isnt me being biased because football is my "home" sport..............I prefer basketball, always have..............but because I UNDERSTAND both games, I quite clearly see the speed difference between football and a game like basketball that has game haulting stoppages every 40 seconds on average, plus a break every 12 minutes.
And TMC, man, I wasnt comparing basketball to football...........of course, there is no comparison.

I was simply making the point that we all moan about our sports, we all have things we "hate" about the way things are done and run in them............and the reason I mentioned basketball is because we spend every single season moaning and whining about the unfair treatment of our team from all angles, the bias in terms of ref'ing and other things like trades and all manner of stuff we HATE.............but we dont turn around and say we wont be watching it anymore.

That was the comparison I was trying to draw, not a rules/fairness based one..............just simply that we constantly moan about basketball as well as football.

Plus and finally on this.................I dont know man..............when this thread was created, I thought/knew it would largely be you and me as the "supporters" and "defenders" of the game against all those who dont like or dont understand the sport...............and youve turned in a big way over the course of this World Cup and mostly in line with everyone elses comments and moans about it............ which are largely borne out of mis-understanding and bias towards there own sports.

Just a big difference from the converstions we had and the passion for, love for and knowledge of the game I witnessed face to face when we came to visit you for a month................remember that? :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:02 pm
bigstrads wrote:Just a big difference from the converstions we had and the passion for, love for and knowledge of the game I witnessed face to face when we came to visit you for a month................remember that? :wink:

Yes. And since then I've seen how this joke of a sport goes on with mistake after mistake, and when people tries to fix it, or look for answers, FIFA just looks elsehwhere and says "hey, it's the nature of the game".

Take this world cup, for example. Spain has had 5 penalties uncalled in previous games, some of them incredibly clear, a couple that weren't so clear. We only get called one that was, at least, dubious, and as the ref had doubts, we not only had to repeat it, but also another penalty, probably the most clear in the whole world cup, happened, and it also meant that the GK would have been sent off. And the ref SAW it... but decided not to call it to avoid having to deal with the consequences.

Add to that that, since then, Inter won the CL because a couple of calls were wrong in the game vs Barça in Italy.

Add to that lots of mistakes, like Lampard's goal, or Argentina`s first goal vs Mexico, that RUIN games for the teams that suffer them.

In a game such as soccer, those mistakes cannot happen. And they only happen because people in power are interested in keeping it that way, so they have some kind of control over games. It's a flawed product, it's biased, and it's unfair, and I'm not interested in that anymore.

And yes, I do plan to miss Spain's first world cup semi final since 1950, and even the final if we make it. Until they fix this miss, I'm done with this "show".
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:50 pm
Wow..................ohh, well, not going to get any sense here then..............ta ta.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:13 pm
TMC, lemme tell you a story. The all Mighty NFL, which granted is better than the other leagues is very shady as well.

In early 2002, when the best team in the AFL (the raiders; the rams were the best team by far in the league) were playing the New England Patriots, I jumped joy seeing charles woodson knock tom brady and the ball causing a fumble. This meant the raiders were going to win the game and head into the AFC championship game. But wait, the refs decide to huddle up and discuss the play. Ref Walt Coleman (who i will always remember, and BTW will probably never do any games in Oakland) goes to the monitor, says brady was in throwing motion, and reverses the call. Brady has another chance. This time, vinitari goes and hits a game tying field goal and later a game winning field goal after they win the coin toss in overtime.

The tuck rule? it was supposedly created in 1999, a good 2.5 years before this incident. Funny thing is, no one really knew what the hell this rule was. It really doesn't make sense. I always thought it was a conspiracy that due to the fact that the yankees of baseball couldnt win the world series on the first sporting event post September 11, that the league needed to fix the NFL to make some shitty unknown team win the Superbowl. Hell, it would be "Un-American" of you to root against a team named the "Patriots". Hell, the "Yanks" just lost on a bloop single, lets make sure the "Patriots" (america's team) succeed. Its probably a reach, but as a raider fan seeing a clear fumble turned over something that makes no sense, i believed something was up.

See TMC, the patriots were 3-4 when the Yanks were eliminated from the World Series. They went on to win the Superbowl with only one loss after that (against an amazing Rams team, which they later came to beat in the superbowl) . I think they had some help from the league (who knows, maybe the league allowed them to spy on them and got so use to it, they eventually got caught and redflagged, leading to spygate.

Speaking of that superbowl which started my hatred for the Pats, I thought it was funny how the NFL allowed the pats to go as a "team" while making a fool of the Rams for going as individuals. Although i am fine with going as a team, i think someone should have told the Rams that the NFL impromply changed the rule to cater the Patriots "request". That was absolute B.S. I mean, it is just asking for casual fans to root for the team that is all for "team" and "unity" versus the team that only thinks about individuals.

Here is a good article on Refs in the NFL and where they are placed. BTW, read the piece on Ed Hochili. The article was written just a couple months prior before his SECOND (and more famous) incident between the Broncos and Chargers. Maybe it might help solve Hochili's rationale for giving the Broncos a break the second time around.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=3462384

Sorry, this is a long rant, but i got a lot more goodies.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:25 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:TMC, lemme tell you a story. The all Mighty NFL, which granted is better than the other leagues is very shady as well.

In early 2002, when the best team in the AFL (the raiders; the rams were the best team by far in the league) were playing the New England Patriots, I jumped joy seeing charles woodson knock tom brady and the ball causing a fumble. This meant the raiders were going to win the game and head into the AFC championship game. But wait, the refs decide to huddle up and discuss the play. Ref Walt Coleman (who i will always remember, and BTW will probably never do any games in Oakland) goes to the monitor, says brady was in throwing motion, and reverses the call. Brady has another chance. This time, vinitari goes and hits a game tying field goal and later a game winning field goal after they win the coin toss in overtime.

The tuck rule? it was supposedly created in 1999, a good 2.5 years before this incident. Funny thing is, no one really knew what the hell this rule was. It really doesn't make sense. I always thought it was a conspiracy that due to the fact that the yankees of baseball couldnt win the world series on the first sporting event post September 11, that the league needed to fix the NFL to make some shitty unknown team win the Superbowl. Hell, it would be "Un-American" of you to root against a team named the "Patriots". Hell, the "Yanks" just lost on a bloop single, lets make sure the "Patriots" (america's team) succeed. Its probably a reach, but as a raider fan seeing a clear fumble turned over something that makes no sense, i believed something was up.

See TMC, the patriots were 3-4 when the Yanks were eliminated from the World Series. They went on to win the Superbowl with only one loss after that (against an amazing Rams team, which they later came to beat in the superbowl) . I think they had some help from the league (who knows, maybe the league allowed them to spy on them and got so use to it, they eventually got caught and redflagged, leading to spygate.

Speaking of that superbowl which started my hatred for the Pats, I thought it was funny how the NFL allowed the pats to go as a "team" while making a fool of the Rams for going as individuals. Although i am fine with going as a team, i think someone should have told the Rams that the NFL impromply changed the rule to cater the Patriots "request". That was absolute B.S. I mean, it is just asking for casual fans to root for the team that is all for "team" and "unity" versus the team that only thinks about individuals.

Here is a good article on Refs in the NFL and where they are placed. BTW, read the piece on Ed Hochili. The article was written just a couple months prior before his SECOND (and more famous) incident between the Broncos and Chargers. Maybe it might help solve Hochili's rationale for giving the Broncos a break the second time around.

one of your worst posts ever Mr. C

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:28 pm
bada wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:TMC, lemme tell you a story. The all Mighty NFL, which granted is better than the other leagues is very shady as well.

one of your worst posts ever Mr. C

hey, i am a raider fan. I cannot be rational all the time. :wink:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:41 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:hey, i am a raider fan. I cannot be rational all the time. :wink:

Good point! :mrgreen:
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:49 pm
bada wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:hey, i am a raider fan. I cannot be rational all the time. :wink:

:D :D :D

Yo Bada, You going to be at the Collesium for the Raiders v Seahawks Game on Halloween. Would love to catch up for a beer at the tailgate?

BTW.. I'd love to see Uruguay go onto win the championship. They are the only real underdog left!!!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:22 pm
PAWNO wrote:
bada wrote:

Yo Bada, You going to be at the Collesium for the Raiders v Seahawks Game on Halloween. Would love to catch up for a beer at the tailgate?

BTW.. I'd love to see Uruguay go onto win the championship. They are the only real underdog left!!!

No, I will not. I do not attend raider games as I refuse to contribute in ANY way to Al's pockets. But I will go to the Stick when the Seahawks come down to play the Niners. And will be in Seattle for the season opener against the Niners.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:28 pm
Hey pawno, you coming for sure to the bay area?
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:49 pm
Bigs, you're forgetting this event only happens once every 4 years. It's not like in B-Ball where we're like... aww well we always got next game. No. Everytime the refs make a mistake its like making a mistake in the olympics. You would think that for an event like this, Fifa would do everything in their power to get every call right. Obviously they don't care enough, so why should we? I'm a fan of soccer too [playing it] and the occasional 10 seconds of the game on TV where it's interesting.... but it's already boring enough to watch.... compound that with the Ref's missing every single call and to hell with the entire sh*t.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:06 pm
bada wrote:
PAWNO wrote:
bada wrote:

No, I will not. I do not attend raider games as I refuse to contribute in ANY way to Al's pockets. But I will go to the Stick when the Seahawks come down to play the Niners. And will be in Seattle for the season opener against the Niners.

Ah bro, well theres a good chance the game could be blacked out, Probably good for you though however... as the Raiders beatdown won't be good for your lil feather plucking soul

Perhaps we can meet up at the Oracle or Englander for a Warriors Home/Away Game, Would love to meet you bro.

Mr. Crackerz wrote:Hey pawno, you coming for sure to the bay area?

Airfares are booked bro!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:12 pm
Beast Mode wrote:Bigs, you're forgetting this event only happens once every 4 years. It's not like in B-Ball where we're like... aww well we always got next game. No. Everytime the refs make a mistake its like making a mistake in the olympics. You would think that for an event like this, Fifa would do everything in their power to get every call right. Obviously they don't care enough, so why should we? I'm a fan of soccer too [playing it] and the occasional 10 seconds of the game on TV where it's interesting.... but it's already boring enough to watch.... compound that with the Ref's missing every single call and to hell with the entire sh*t.

I'm the otherway bro in terms of i can watch the sport, But it's hard for me to actually play the sports.

I appreciate the athleteism and stanima, watching guys soar in the air for the big headbutt, But when i actually play the game... I can't keep up with these little razzle dazzle kids who are not quite big enough to play Footy/Rugby so i get frustrated and drop my shoulders in for a violent tackle (usually no red cards involved as the Soccer i do play is in a park with friends and they don't appreciate when i bring the aggression to the beautiful game)

I guess i'm Devo'ed about how the socceroos lost to Ghana (sorry drew to Ghana) after being ahead 1-nil, we got a dubious handball call that got a redcard on our best player & you could clearly see the contact Harry Kewell made with the ball was more in the armpit.

But these are the breaks, It's really disappointing about not having video referees.... But until FIFA addresses that, then the Game will remain soully out of touch for the modern Western World (Australia, USA, Canada etc)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:16 pm
PAWNO wrote:
bada wrote:
PAWNO wrote:
bada wrote:

Ah bro, well theres a good chance the game could be blacked out, Probably good for you though however... as the Raiders beatdown won't be good for your lil feather plucking soul

Perhaps we can meet up at the Oracle or Englander for a Warriors Home/Away Game, Would love to meet you bro.

Mr. Crackerz wrote:Hey pawno, you coming for sure to the bay area?

Airfares are booked bro!

Sweet. Yeah, I'll put more of an effort to see you guys. Unless I find work outside of Northern California, then I am down to hang out and see a game. I am currently looking for teaching jobs all over, but hoping for something to open up in the Bay Area or Sacramento Areas.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board