The Football (Soccer, In The Colonies) Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:29 am
:shock:

Now Fifa is shocked Urugay defeated Ghana the way they did and, as a punishment, are considering extending Suarez's ban to the final (if they make it).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100703/sp_soccer_afp/fblwc2010urunedsuarez_20100703111641

If that happens, Uruguay should refuse to play. This is the biggest game in four years, and Fifa can't allow something dramatic to happen to it. The sport might never recover if one of the teams doesn't appear for the game. But, seriously, a red card that doesn't involve any kind of violence is a one match ban. If they change the rules in the middle of the world cup to punish Suarez because an african team got kicked out of the world cup, I hope the uruguayan team refuses to play. I know I wouldn't watch a single soccer game again...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:51 am
Tactically, Paraguay has done a great job getting ready for this game. But it will be harder and harder for them to keep up with time, because they won't be able to keep this level of pressure for the whole game.

Still, props to their coach for not staying back and hope for a counter. This gameplan is pretty good, considering the difference in terms of talent.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:01 pm
I still think Torres shouldnt be playing. He isn't ready. BTW, torres hasn't scored for his country is a very long time. Since the Euro Cup, which BTW he only scored 1 goal.

TMC, is it possible that torres is overrated (or at least he's been figured out by other teams)?

Edit: when i mean scoring, i mean besides friendlies. I am referring to cups, tourneys, and WC qualifying.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:05 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I still think Torres shouldnt be playing. He isn't ready. BTW, torres hasn't scored for his country is a very long time. Since the Euro Cup, which BTW he only scored 1 goal.

TMC, is it possible that torres is overrated (or at least he's been figured out by other teams)?

Nah, he's not overrated, but he's injury-prone. And he had surgery on one knee one month before the world cup, so he's clearly not ready.

I also think Llorente would do a better job right now... but I have no problem with Torres playing the first half. That way, the defenders will be tired later in the game and Llorente will be able to do his thing in the second half, like the other day against Portugal.

I mean, Llorente in in better shape... but it makes sense, from a tactical point of view, to bring him from the bench later on.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:14 pm
TMC wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I still think Torres shouldnt be playing. He isn't ready. BTW, torres hasn't scored for his country is a very long time. Since the Euro Cup, which BTW he only scored 1 goal.

Nah, he's not overrated, but he's injury-prone. And he had surgery on one knee one month before the world cup, so he's clearly not ready.

I also think Llorente would do a better job right now... but I have no problem with Torres playing the first half. That way, the defenders will be tired later in the game and Llorente will be able to do his thing in the second half, like the other day against Portugal.

I mean, Llorente in in better shape... but it makes sense, from a tactical point of view, to bring him from the bench later on.

When Llorente came in on Tuesdays game, the tempo immediately changed, and spain looked like the spain i have been accustomed to seeing these past few years.

BTW, the goal by Paraguay looked good. FIFA needs replay. Just ridiculous.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:15 pm
Players may say what they want... but we're slow as f*ck. Probably because we had the longest season in Europe...

In any case, every team is a step above us on that regard.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:17 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:BTW, the goal by Paraguay looked good. FIFA needs replay. Just ridiculous.

Absolutely... don't get all this crap about not stopping the game and the like. It's better to stop than give an unfair advantage to a team, ain't it?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:50 pm
What a mess.

Xabi Alonso scored in my book!
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:54 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:What a mess.

Xabi Alonso scored in my book!

Well, Spanish players ran into the box before Alonso took the shot, so, according to rules, that's a fine decision by ref, even though it is kind of stupid to replay the penalty, because other players didn't have any influence on the penalty. If goalkeeper saved it, and some other player scored a goal because he was in the box, then it would be different story.
But, the rules are what they are, and Spaniards screwed themselves.

Anyway, this is one crazy game.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:58 pm
I'm done with soccer... This game is just ridiculous, particularly the refs and people in charge.

Let's explain the last couple of minutes, play-by-play:

* Pique makes a CLEAR penalty. A dumb, retarded foul, but it was a penalty.

* Casillas blocks it... but the shot was awful. You can't kick a penalty like that.

* The next penalty over Villa... I think it's doubtful, at the very least. It MIGHT be penalty (look at the defender's arm on Villa's neck, not their feet)... but contact so light that it's doubtful enough to not call it.

* Repeating the penalty... come on, almost half the penalties are like that and are not repeated. The ref had doubts about the penalty and decided to repeat it.

* After Xabi misses the second one, there's a CLEAR penalty, one of the most clear of the world cup (if not the most), of the goalie over Cesc, and it wasn't only a penalty, because it was going to be a red card for the GK as well. Of course, it was uncalled (and the ref SAW it, just didn't want to call it to not eject the goalie).

Soooo... I'm done with soccer. Enjoy the thread, guys, because I'll be back to the real football thread from now on...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:19 pm
TMC wrote:I'm done with soccer... This game is just ridiculous, particularly the refs and people in charge.

Let's explain the last couple of minutes, play-by-play:

* Pique makes a CLEAR penalty. A dumb, retarded foul, but it was a penalty.

* Casillas blocks it... but the shot was awful. You can't kick a penalty like that.

* The next penalty over Villa... I think it's doubtful, at the very least. It MIGHT be penalty (look at the defender's arm on Villa's neck, not their feet)... but contact so light that it's doubtful enough to not call it.

* Repeating the penalty... come on, almost half the penalties are like that and are not repeated. The ref had doubts about the penalty and decided to repeat it.

* After Xabi misses the second one, there's a CLEAR penalty, one of the most clear of the world cup (if not the most), of the goalie over Cesc, and it wasn't only a penalty, because it was going to be a red card for the GK as well. Of course, it was uncalled (and the ref SAW it, just didn't want to call it to not eject the goalie).

Soooo... I'm done with soccer. Enjoy the thread, guys, because I'll be back to the real football thread from now on...

I hate it too. FIFA is worse than the NBA. Absolutely stubburn and power hungry.

Hopefully there can be a way where the individual countries and their federations do something to clean up the corruption in this sport.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:01 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I hate it too. FIFA is worse than the NBA. Absolutely stubburn and power hungry.

Hopefully there can be a way where the individual countries and their federations do something to clean up the corruption in this sport.

Ha, precisely the power federations have in the Fifa elective system is the reason for all that crap...

In any case, I'm not watching a game again until they do something to fix it. Replays by a 4th ref out of the game would be enough... or any other option that works. But, until then, I'm done with this pseudo-sport.

I guess we won, btw. I'm saying so because I turned off the TV after my previous post... but everybody is honking their horns, soooo... 2+2=4 :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:03 pm
Jesus..............f*cking Spain won, are through to their FIRST SEMI FINAL EVER!!! and TMC is still whining about football and threatening to not watch it anymore.

F*ck man, this is football...............the way its always been because it purely relies on a humans ability to see and comprehend everything going on at 100 miles an hour around him.

Are you serious with the way youve been reacting lately?..................I mean sh*t, youve been watching this game all your life..............and your not used to it?

We all get frustrated, we all have these things happen to us as fans..............and that in a strange way makes it fair, because no team is exempt or outside the realm of a possible refing mistake.

The NBA is FAR more biased and obviously fixed than football.............and they have constant stoppages and replays..............and yet we are still screaming about match fixing, favouritism towards the big teams and sh*tting on the little teams (like us)

But you dont threaten to not watch the NBA anymore...............what gives man?
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:18 pm
bigstrads wrote:Jesus..............f*cking Spain won, are through to their FIRST SEMI FINAL EVER!!! and TMC is still whining about football and threatening to not watch it anymore.

F*ck man, this is football...............the way its always been because it purely relies on a humans ability to see and comprehend everything going on at 100 miles an hour around him
Are you serious with the way youve been reacting lately?..................I mean sh*t, youve been watching this game all your life..............and your not used to it?

We all get frustrated, we all have these things happen to us as fans..............and that in a strange way makes it fair, because no team is exempt or outside the realm of a possible refing mistake.

The NBA is FAR more biased and obviously fixed than football.............and they have constant stoppages and replays..............and yet we are still screaming about match fixing, favouritism towards the big teams and sh*tting on the little teams (like us)

But you dont threaten to not watch the NBA anymore...............what gives man?

Really James??? I mean.... Really?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:22 pm
Sorry, bro, but that's not a good comparison, because a single call in the NBA doesn't have the same effect, because scores are usually around the 100 points mark. A soccer game ends 1-0 way too often... and when a ref botches it, and does it on purpose like today (or many other times before), well...

To make the comparison valid... a NBA team should receive 50 bad calls their way in a game to have a similar effect. And we all know the amount is not even close.

And yes, I'm well aware that a single bad call can also decide a bball game... but so can a thousand more during the game. In soccer, one bad call may change (and ruin) the whole game, be it in the first or the last minute.

So not really comparable. The comparison is more accurate with football but... oh, yeah, right. They have challenges to force the use of replays. :wink:

It's not a threat, btw, it's a fact... I didn't watch the game after the two crazy minutes with the penalties and all that. And I'm not watching a single game again until they fix it.

And the fact that it's been this way the whole life doesn't make it more acceptable. Actually, quite the opposite. They never had the tecnological means to end it, til now (a few years back, actually). Well, they've had enough time, but still don't want to touch it. Ok, then... but I'm not interested in a flawed product whose outcome has a big chance of being decided by... luck. Or who the ref likes more. Or who the ref thinks will be a lesser rival to his own team...

Sorry, but until they use that tecnology to fix the problem, I'm not watching a game again.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board