The Football (Soccer, In The Colonies) Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:19 pm
SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN!

Torres still doesn't look 100%. If he ever gets up to speed, then you'll finally have to worry him while still worrying about Villa.

I really like Spain after today. They just need to get healthy, like TMC said.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:58 pm
We need the rest. Iniesta is f*cking dead, he's only good to go for 55 minutes. Torres also needs some rest, and Fabregas is in poor shape as well... (it's not a coincidence all of them had some serious injuries through the season, tho)

Today's subs were pretty good, particularly Llorente, who's in great shape and adds a big guy that can hold the ball against the defenders.

And now... Paraguay. I expect them to fight, to be nasty, even brutal, to try to stop us. But there's so much difference between both teams that I would be extremely disappointed if we don't win that game.

And, if we do... Argentina or Germany. Now that's a real world cup game!!!

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:07 pm
Llorente is basque, so of course he was good! :wink:
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:30 pm
Great match today for Spain. Ronaldo completely disappeared in the second half and Spain domination in possession just wore Portugal out and forced them into forcing the ball. David Villa continues his amazing streak of goals and has been putting so much pressure on defenses from the wing.

I thought Torres looked decent, especially in the first 10 minutes. He had a nice strike on goal in the first minute and could have easily drawn a penalty a few minutes later as that defender made no play on the ball. However, he looks best fit to come on as a sub when the defenses are a little more worn out. That and Lioriente looked very good out there adding to an air game to compliment Spain's attack, especially when defenses sit 10 men in the box.

Glad to see so many Spain fans in this thread. I don't have family from there like a lot of you have said you do, but I just love the way they play. Both the national team, and the way many of the club teams play there. Plus Barcelona and Madrid have to bee some of my favorite cities in the world that I've visited. Let's hope for no let down against Paraguay, and hopefully a nice momentum building victory going into the Semis
Get Money. Get Paid.

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:30 pm
certainly, after japan-paraguay match any game would look beautiful.

i was not convinced with spain, technically, all they did was control the ball all the time without good offensive resolutions. looks nice with all that passing, but you can feel most of their attacks are going nowhere. and torres sucked, as all brandies do :mrgreen:
oh, and have you noticed - no repeats aftert he goal? to me it looked that it could have been offside.
**** fifa mafia!
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:34 pm
i think torres should not start the next match unless he is 100%. He is clearly not working well. It's been 4 games, time to move on. Seeing the players exiting the tunnel, i noticed all the players jogging out, with the clear exception being torres. He was simply walking out. That has to be a red flag. Maybe he might be physically fit, but he isn't mentally fit.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:14 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:i think torres should not start the next match unless he is 100%. He is clearly not working well. It's been 4 games, time to move on. Seeing the players exiting the tunnel, i noticed all the players jogging out, with the clear exception being torres. He was simply walking out. That has to be a red flag. Maybe he might be physically fit, but he isn't mentally fit.

He picked a minor injury during the game, but he should be ready for saturday, so he'll start. But he won't play the whole game, because it's quite obvious he's not ready to do it and barely can play around 40 minutes...

In any case, it's not a bad option to play him from the beginning and once the defense is tired, bring in Llorente to replace him.

btw, I also want to talk about the best midfielder of the world cup, Busquets. We wouldn't be here without him. He's the one that gives air to our team, who recovers most balls and is the first line to stop our rival's offense. He's been amazing... although, obviously, he won't be the world cup's MVP, even if we were able to win it all, because he doesn't score or makes flashy plays. In any case, he's doing an invaluable job for the team.

Dr. Spaceman wrote:Plus Barcelona and Madrid have to bee some of my favorite cities in the world that I've visited.

Cool. When did you come to Spain, Dr. Spaceman?
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:27 am
TMC wrote:
Dr. Spaceman wrote:Plus Barcelona and Madrid have to bee some of my favorite cities in the world that I've visited.

Cool. When did you come to Spain, Dr. Spaceman?

I visited Madrid in summer 2006 for a few days. Then in 2007 when I lived in Italy for a few months I went to Barcelona for about a week. Both great places I definitely have thought about moving to for a while, but I guess California will have to do for now.

You're 100% right about Busquets too. He has been great about not even allowing the ball Spain's defensive end. Many balls are being won around the midfield area and going right back to their possession dominating offensive players.

And in regards to Martin's post about an unimpressive game from Spain. It may not have been their best, but they are the only team to have scored on Portugal this world cup, and if not for some great saves by Eduardo probably would have had 1-2 more. They dominated the possession and worked the ball because that's how you finally solve a good defensive team like Portugal who stacks the box. You have to be patient and wait for the right moment.
Get Money. Get Paid.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:33 am
Busquets has been great. Xabi too. Both do the dirty work that goes unnoticed. The other 4 defenders have been inconsistant at times, with some missing assignments at key times (though the opponent has failed to capitalize at all). Puyol has played better than I thought he was gonna play, Pique has played worse. Ramos is a fake defender, but i like him in the offensive game. Captavilla has been solid, though at times fails to catch up with the offensive player.

Nevertheless, they have been a decent group. They could be better, but it has been effective so far.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:20 pm
We lost England for the World Cup, we lost Bigs...

What happened, bro?. Where are thou? :wink:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:39 pm
bigstrads wrote:Ha ha, fooled you...........this is a thread for people (probably just me and TMC) to talk about REAL FOOTBALL!!!........I hesitantly and disgustingly call it, for the benfit of my American chums, Soccer.

Did you realize that the term Soccer is not an american term but rather was created by the English. I read it dates back to the earliest roots of the sport itself and the sport was referred to as soccer as much as it was football. Was only until the last couple of decades that football was used more than soccer.

But when the sport was brought here it was called Soccer and Americans have called it that ever since.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:58 pm
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Ha ha, fooled you...........this is a thread for people (probably just me and TMC) to talk about REAL FOOTBALL!!!........I hesitantly and disgustingly call it, for the benfit of my American chums, Soccer.

Did you realize that the term Soccer is not an american term but rather was created by the English. I read it dates back to the earliest roots of the sport itself and the sport was referred to as soccer as much as it was football. Was only until the last couple of decades that football was used more than soccer.

But when the sport was brought here it was called Soccer and Americans have called it that ever since.

yeah i read that yahoo article today as well. An interesting read.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:52 pm
TMC wrote:We lost England for the World Cup, we lost Bigs...

What happened, bro?. Where are thou? :wink:

LOL.. He will be back!

I give it mid-November when the Warriors lose there first 7 games & BIGS is planning his next Nelson Execution Attempt 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:47 am
NETHERLANDS VS. BRAZIL FIRST HALF NOTES.

I've read these past few days about the internal problems Netherlands has had. I've read about how players are consistently going against the coach, against their own teammates, against the media, against their fans, .....

After watching this first half, I cannot believe how such a talented squad can play this awful. Robbin has had a terrible game. Just awful. He's forced two awful shot attempts, tried a stupid corner trick haven't seen since the age of six.

The coach should be blamed as well. He tells the team they will be playing with a certain lineup and rotation these past few days only to change it up in the final 10 minutes.

P.S. Where is Van De Vaart?

Meanwhile, Brazil has played pretty beautifully. sure, they've had error, but they play so well as a squad. as a team. They should win this game easily. However this is soccer. Anything can happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:25 am
So much for disfunction. Netherlands has now scored its 2nd goal in the half. Brazil needs to wake up.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board