The Football (Soccer, In The Colonies) Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:29 pm
I'm still rooting for Ghana, Although Kobe Bryant wants Spain('cuz of Pau')<----BS lol

Hall of Famer
» Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:53 pm
xbay wrote:So who do you guys see going into the Final match? By the way each team is playing, I'd say Brazil, Argentina or Germany. Although, I'm waiting on how Portugal does against Spain.

At the moment, I'd go with a Brazil/Argentina or Brazil/Germany final. It could change given what Portugal or Spain does. Oh, and I'm not sleeping on a potential Uruguay/Brazil showdown. Uruguay has the potential to turn heads and drop jaws.

Brazil is the clear favorite on their side of the bracket. I think Uruguay has a chance to beat them, but only if they're able to score first (which won't be easy). If not, they're dead.

As for the other side... both Argentina and Germany have showed a lot... but only on offense. I agree they're the favorites, but still have doubts about both teams.

Portugal vs Spain will give us the wild card to reach the final. Our biggest problem is that we're physically dead. We're probably bette than anybody in terms of talent, but our players can only play around 60 minutes at their top.

Right now, I think I'd bet for a Brazil vs Argentina final... and it'd be an AMAZING game (if Spain can't make it, of course)

All Star
» Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:19 am
i'm still waiting for dutch team to turn into another gear and go to finals. both quarterfinals between germany and argentina and brasil and holland will be a thing of beauty. technically four best teams of the tournament.

All Star
» Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:43 am
I think people are overlooking the Dutch. I would also love Spain in the finals. But Argentina vs Brazil would be crazy...

Role Player
» Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:59 am
I originally had Spain vs Netherlands in final and think it could very well play out that way. Brazil have all the confidence in he world after their easy win over Chile, but think this could hurt them against a very good dutch team who have been quietly advancing through the tournament. With the talent on both these sides I think it could come down to who gets a lucky bounce.

Urguguay or Ghana could take advantage of this, but in the end I think both of these teams will be gone before the finals.

On the other side I think Spain should beat Portugal, and face one of Germany or Argentina in the semis. If Spain wins I like their matchup against either of these teams, although Germany will surely be on all cylinders looking to avenge Euro 2008.

Argentina looks good, but I think they're due for a game that is frustrating on offense where they don't get some of the bounces and calls they've been getting and will be bounced by Germany like they were last World Cup.

Either way there are a lot or great teams left who for the most part will play some exciting football and provide some great entertainment the rest of the world cup.

Hall of Famer
» Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:10 am
The dutch team has A LOT of offensive talent, but their defense is lacking. You don't go far in a world cup, particularly against a team like Brazil, when your defence is only average.

All Star
» Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:15 am
Come on Japan!!!!! Am I the only one that picked them in the pieck em league?

» Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:09 am
nope, i picked japan as well.

BTW, spain plays in a few hours. got my vuvuzuela in the mail yesterday. Time to get the authentic experience on!

All Star
» Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:54 am
ahhhh penalties were harsh...feel bad for Japan.

Hall of Famer
» Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:16 am
F*ck, I was rooting for Japan as well... A pity they lost the way they did, but just a single penalty.

As for the game... worst game of the world cup. I can guarantee the next one won't be the same... :wink:

GO SPAIN!!!!!

(btw, I'm really worried about this game, for the reasons posted in previous posts... but I'm not gonna talk about them again, hoping not to jinx it)

Hall of Famer
» Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:24 am
GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hall of Famer
» Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:57 am
I've got a bad feeling about the ref. So far, there's a penalty over Torres not called, a charge over our goalie (also not called) and a couple of yellow cards not shown to portuguese players...

And why am I suspicious?. Because you can't pick an argentinian ref for this game knowing we'll have to face Argentina (if they go past Germany) in the semi final game.

Role Player
» Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:23 pm
TMC wrote:I've got a bad feeling about the ref. So far, there's a penalty over Torres not called, a charge over our goalie (also not called) and a couple of yellow cards not shown to portuguese players...

And why am I suspicious?. Because you can't pick an argentinian ref for this game knowing we'll have to face Argentina (if they go past Germany) in the semi final game.

I've been thinking the same thing. They've also gotten a few free kicks in Ronaldo's shooting range on ticky tack calls. I've seen the same tackles from Portugal on Spain right outside the box not be called.

I guess I can understand the Torres no-call that early in the game, even though it probably should have been a penalty. The charge over on Casillas not being called was just ridiculous.

Go Spain.

Hall of Famer
» Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:52 pm
GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

» Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:45 pm
Glad we won. Now Paraguay!