The Football (Soccer, In The Colonies) Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Hall of Famer
» Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:35 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:you could make a case that estrada probably deserved a second yellow earlier from a very late challenge earlier. Although the ref made a poor decision, maybe he just had enough with estrada constantly knocking down a spanish player.

Absolutely. Actually, I'm pretty sure the ref ejected him because he didn't show him the second card in the play you're talking about, which makes it even worse.

Oh, well... Portugal, here we come!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Role Player
» Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:01 pm
First time posting in this thread and I am stoked that both of my teams went through. US because I'm from here, and I also root for Spain. I chose them as my other team last world cup when US got taken out because I just love the way they play, and Torres has been my favorite player since the last World Cup. Glad both teams got through even though both made me very nervous.

I hope Spain destroys Portugal and Ronaldo tears his labia on the field. That guy is such a punk. Dives everywhere, throws cheap shots all the time, and is a huge ball hog. With how skilled he is, he should make his team mates a lot better than he does. I get that you have a better chance than anyone else on your team when taking a shot from 30 meters, but that doesn't mean you have to do it every opportunity you get.

Spain will surely have to fix up that back line though as no team they have faced can counter with the speed that Ronaldo and Portugal can. Spain have looked very vulnerable to the counter thus far, and this scares me a lot against Portugal. Hopefully Torres gets back into form and Spain can put up some early goals on Portugal so they don't have to push so much with Ramos and Capdevilla, and can play conservative and prevent any counter attacks.

Hall of Famer
» Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:27 am
That's truue. Capdevile is up there in age and Ramos is quite awful playing there (his weakness doesn't show so much as a central defender... but we don't need him there).

Arbeloa would be a better pick as our right wing defender (not gonna happen, tho), but we don't have anybody that can replace Capdevila. And that's a big problem.

Hall of Famer
» Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:01 am
Uruguay is already in, although it was harder than expected... In any case, their strikers are so good that they don't have to do much to win. Suarez was the one that destroyed the Korean defense today, but if they focus on him, then Forlan will do his part. Really difficult to defend.

Still, they have an easy way til the semis, as their next rivals will come from the USA vs Ghana game.

GO USA!!!!

» Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:48 am
go USA! 45 minutes til it starts. WOOT!

Role Player
» Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:48 am
Yeah Uruguay definitely looks like the dark horse team of the tournament. I originally picked Serbia for that, but they couldn't even beat the Aussies. As long as Spain beats Portugal I like their chances though. It's not how you start the World Cup, it's how you finish. They were unlucky for one match, but now look back on track, and are just so deep.

USA game coming up. I wonder what kind of sketchy reffing we're gonna get today?

All Star
» Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:38 am
Ghana scores 4'

Hall of Famer
» Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:12 pm
Two things about this USA team, one good and one bad:

* They look like an european team on the field. Tactically, it might be the best USA team I remember, which says a lot about their coach.

* Sadly, they don't have a good striker on that team. And a team without somebody able to score won't have an easy time beating any rival.

All Star
» Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:21 pm
Like you said, our strikers are doo doo butter. No communication between them at all, looks like every man for himself once we get into their half.

Franchise Player
» Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:30 pm
Yeah, Altidore, Findley, Buddle... those guys need to step it up. It always has to be Michael Bradley or Landon Donovan to the rescue. We can't be always having to rely on our midfielders.

I really wonder how different this team would look if Charlie Davies was here.

Site Admin
» Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:03 pm
well, looks like I don't have to care about soccer any more for the next 4 years... :dontknow:

All Star
» Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:05 pm
Damn, Alexi Lalas looks like he is going to cry on air. Good game by Ghana.

Franchise Player
» Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:07 pm
Good game. Proud of our players who fought hard. Just really saddens me that a lot of these guys won't be back in 4 years. And I really wanna see Donovan win.

GO URUGUAY! :mrgreen: :D

» Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:14 pm
xbay wrote:Good game. Proud of our players who fought hard. Just really saddens me that a lot of these guys won't be back in 4 years. And I really wanna see Donovan win.

GO URUGUAY! :mrgreen: :D

yep, changing of the guard for many. Especially our defense. Everyone should be gone by then except bornstein. BUT, strikers Altidore and Davies will be back. players like Feilhaber, Gomez, Bradley, are all young. Even Donovon and Dempsy will probably be back, even though they will be in their 30's.

Hopefully, players like Holden, Specter, Adu and Edu mature a bit more and become consistant enough to help this team out in 2014 as well.

There is hope for this team. Just, they need to work hard and be more mentally strong.

All Star
» Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:39 pm
Hopefully Altidore gets better.