Baseball HOF

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:01 pm
Congrats to Rickey Henderson on his induction to MLB Hall of Fame. I can not believe he was not a unanimous selection. He was only left off of 5% of ballots, but those 5% should lose their right to vote. Rickey was a dominant player in his heyday, I used to love going to the Colliseum and watch him tear apart the base paths. He was pure excitement every time he stepped foot onto the field. At the time, he was a pretty polarizing figure around the ball park as well.

Does anybody else have a problem with Jim Rice getting in? Rice was a good player, but I dont think he is HOF material. I think he is in the category of lots of other guys that played in and around his era, Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker and I dont think he should be there. The one guy I was really disappointed that was left out is Andre Dawson. To me, he was much more of a feared player and also a much more complete player.

Bert Blylevin also should be in the HOF as far as Im concerned. But Congrats to Rickey.....truly one of the all time greats.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:14 pm
"Always" Next wrote:Congrats to Rickey Henderson on his induction to MLB Hall of Fame. I can not believe he was not a unanimous selection. He was only left off of 5% of ballots, but those 5% should lose their right to vote. Rickey was a dominant player in his heyday, I used to love going to the Colliseum and watch him tear apart the base paths. He was pure excitement every time he stepped foot onto the field. At the time, he was a pretty polarizing figure around the ball park as well.

Does anybody else have a problem with Jim Rice getting in? Rice was a good player, but I dont think he is HOF material. I think he is in the category of lots of other guys that played in and around his era, Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker and I dont think he should be there. The one guy I was really disappointed that was left out is Andre Dawson. To me, he was much more of a feared player and also a much more complete player.

Bert Blylevin also should be in the HOF as far as Im concerned. But Congrats to Rickey.....truly one of the all time greats.

I think Rice deserves it. I was young when he was playing, but he seemed like such a feared player. I think it goes beyond just raw numbers, and his numbers are really good. Hawk should be in too.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:16 pm
insane that is was not unanimous in my opinion.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:24 pm
bada wrote:insane that is was not unanimous in my opinion.

totally unacceptable....how can anybody that knows a thing about baseball, especially somebody that their job is to follow baseball leave Rickey off their ballot.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:47 pm
"Always" Next wrote:

totally unacceptable....how can anybody that knows a thing about baseball, especially somebody that their job is to follow baseball leave Rickey off their ballot.

well you guys are making it sound like this hasn't happened before... there has never been a unanimous inductee.. this happens every year. It shouldnt, but it does

remember just a few years ago, when cal ripkin and tony gwynn were inducted, they got like 98% each, ( cal got a little more votes than tony). baseball writers (well a couple of them) are obsess with their egos and have their own agenda in percentages of who is inducted or not. If those 2 couldnt get unanimous, than no one will.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:11 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:

well you guys are making it sound like this hasn't happened before... there has never been a unanimous inductee.. this happens every year. It shouldnt, but it does

remember just a few years ago, when cal ripkin and tony gwynn were inducted, they got like 98% each, ( cal got a little more votes than tony). baseball writers (well a couple of them) are obsess with their egos and have their own agenda in percentages of who is inducted or not. If those 2 couldnt get unanimous, than no one will.[/quote

While both Ripken and Tony Gwynn were really good players, neither was the caliber of Rickey. Tony was a phenominal hitter....but didnt really have much pop and wasnt a great fielder Cal, was rugged and durable, but never a truly "great" player. If you take away the streak from Cal, he isnt sniffing Cooperstown.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:00 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:

remember just a few years ago, when cal ripkin and tony gwynn were inducted, they got like 98% each, ( cal got a little more votes than tony). baseball writers (well a couple of them) are obsess with their egos and have their own agenda in percentages of who is inducted or not. If those 2 couldnt get unanimous, than no one will.[/quote

While both Ripken and Tony Gwynn were really good players, neither was the caliber of Rickey. Tony was a phenominal hitter....but didnt really have much pop and wasnt a great fielder Cal, was rugged and durable, but never a truly "great" player. If you take away the streak from Cal, he isnt sniffing Cooperstown.

ur kidding me right... Cal wouldn't of made the HOF without the streak... so the 19 seasons he was selected to the all star game. How about 2 MVPs, 2 GG's, 8 SS's.. and he had 431 Home Runs. I'm pretty sure he would of gotten win w/o the streak. The streak is the cherry on top. HE WAS ALWAYS A ORIOLE

and tony gwynn... cmon now, .338 career average... when we'll we see that again, he got 8 batting titles... Freaking 8... 15 All stars, 5 GG's, 7 SS's. HE WAS ALWAYS A PADRE.

My point is, Ricky Henderson was great. He has put up top 10 numbers of all time. He was the best lead off guy to the MLB, and IMO is equivilent to bothe Gwynn and Cal... but dont be dissing on Cal and tony saying their percentage of votes were not deserved.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:04 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:

ur kidding me right... Cal wouldn't of made the HOF without the streak... so the 19 seasons he was selected to the all star game. How about 2 MVPs, 2 GG's, 8 SS's.. and he had 431 Home Runs. I'm pretty sure he would of gotten win w/o the streak. The streak is the cherry on top. HE WAS ALWAYS A ORIOLE

and tony gwynn... cmon now, .338 career average... when we'll we see that again, he got 8 batting titles... Freaking 8... 15 All stars, 5 GG's, 7 SS's. HE WAS ALWAYS A PADRE.

My point is, Ricky Henderson was great. He has put up top 10 numbers of all time. He was the best lead off guy to the MLB, and IMO is equivilent to bothe Gwynn and Cal... but dont be dissing on Cal and tony saying their percentage of votes were not deserved.

Im not dissing Tony Gwynn at all, he is probably my favorite player ever. He did win a bunch of batting titles, but did not impact the game the way that Rickey did. And yes, Im sorry....I know most people, if not everybody will disagree with me, but I think Cal Ripken was an above average player that because of the streak is looked at as a superstar.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:22 am
I think this might be an intriguing discussion to have here. Jeff Kent, who is gonna officially announce his retirement tomorrow, has played some very good baseball for a very long time. He hasn't won a ring, but he was the Pippin to the Jordan in San Fran for a very long time. Does he deserve the hall? Its in the numbers. his numbers for a 2nd basemen are great. real good. I dont see him being a first ballot or anything like that, but he will get in someday IMO.

Thoughts?
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:35 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I think this might be an intriguing discussion to have here. Jeff Kent, who is gonna officially announce his retirement tomorrow, has played some very good baseball for a very long time. He hasn't won a ring, but he was the Pippin to the Jordan in San Fran for a very long time. Does he deserve the hall? Its in the numbers. his numbers for a 2nd basemen are great. real good. I dont see him being a first ballot or anything like that, but he will get in someday IMO.

Thoughts?

He definitely should get in eventually. He will not be a first ballot guy, just because of the stigma he had of always being a dick. Kent was a really good ballplayer. His #s for a 2nd baseman were amazing, probably only Hornsby put up better power #s. I would say without the attitude, Kent was a better player than Sandberg. Definitely the best offensive 2nd baseman of his era.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:00 pm
More "HOF" news.... Mark McGuire's brother ratting him out on using the juice. Now to be fair, we dont know his brothers true intentions (aka selling a book?) and we know there relationship is estranged. However, an alligation like this on an already suspicious player is not good.

THOUGHTS?

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Congrats to my favorite all time baseball player Rickey Henderson :D

Rickey is also the Original Collar Popper (Fact) :mrgreen:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

Return to Sports Board