A's Get Holliday

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:43 am
bada wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
Quetzalcoatl wrote:Cant wait till they trade him before the deadline for 5 more prospects. Now thats a bright future right there billy beane is a miracle worker.

I doubt beane would trade holliday this season. I've never seen him do that. Maybe next year though.

He is a free agent at the end of the year. I dont think Holliday sees one day in a A's uni. I think he gets traded within the month. If he does not get what he is looking for, then I could see it going to the deadline but no way did he trade some prospects for a one year rental when they are nowhere close to competing this year. Does not make sense.

The A's and Rangers have the most stocked farm system of arms. Rangers have young bats to go along with it but A's do not. The A's will get the wave of young pitchers ready for the bigs in about 2 years. I am assuming Beane will trade Holliday for a few top hitting prospects that will be ready about that same time.

Why wouldn't the A's resign Holliday? They literally have no money commited to the next 6 years, and no arbitration players hitting free agency until about that time. We are talking about 6 years of paying 20 guys on the roster under a million. The A's have the money to spend if they want to.

Billy knows that every championship caliber team needs an MVP type bat. He knows that player doesn't currently exist in the A's system. Holliday is that player. They got him for essentially nothing. CarGo is a great defensive player, but he has no plate discipline. He is not Carlos Beltran. Smith was expendable and so was Street. Billy is going to build the offense around Holliday, Cust and Chris Carter.

The only other explanation is if he wants to gear up for a one season run, in which case you would see the likes of Giambi, Furcal, Unit or Penny signed
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:53 am
I sure hope you are right Mr Wood... I just have my doubts and am stating my opinion.

I just really doubt they will pay what it will take. I mean we are talking about a 100 million contact. We did not shell out that kind of money for the beloved Giambi when we still had a great team around him.

They almost have NOTHING surrounding Holliday right now.

It is just my opinion that Holliday does not make it to spring training in an A's uni OR past the trading deadline. But again, I HOPE I am wrong cause I would love to see Holliday a long term A.
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:21 am
bada wrote:I sure hope you are right Mr Wood... I just have my doubts and am stating my opinion.

I just really doubt they will pay what it will take. I mean we are talking about a 100 million contact. We did not shell out that kind of money for the beloved Giambi when we still had a great team around him.

They almost have NOTHING surrounding Holliday right now.

It is just my opinion that Holliday does not make it to spring training in an A's uni OR past the trading deadline. But again, I HOPE I am wrong cause I would love to see Holliday a long term A.

I hope youre wrong too Bada. I think this is the beginning of a new chapter in Oakland A's baseball. You say there is nothing around Holliday, but I disagree. There are some good young players and some very good young pitchers, Devine and Zeigler can develop into a huge 1-2 punch in the back of the bullpen and the young starters can be very good in a year or two...or maybe this season. If Chavez is healthy (huge IF), then the A's can contend this year and i think Holliday will love playing with these guys. He will be THE GUY. Where is he going to sign a huge contract and get a chance for the team to be "his"?
Previous

Return to Sports Board