The Tampa Bay Choke Artists Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:07 am
TMC wrote:I'm still so pissed that I've decided to rename the thread in a more fitting way. Hope you don't mind. :wink:

In other news, as expected, Raheem Morris has been promoted to DC, which is the only piece of good news about the Bucs in the last month.

Now, time to fire anybody else!!!

I'd take Chucky back in a heartbeat :mrgreen:

Speaking of firing players... eh would you be interested in cutting ties with Jeff Garcia and drafting a QB for the future... I don't know but you guys seem like your a caroseul of Quarterbacks at the moment.

Chucky did have some promising stuff to say about your 4th string rookie QB from Oakland Tech (i forgot his name)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:30 am
It If Far Gon Wap wrote:I'd take Chucky back in a heartbeat :mrgreen:

Trade us Asomafgjdljglsdgdsgah for him (and maybe we could add Phillip Buchanon to "sweeten" the deal) and he's all yours. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I'd love a change of coach at this point.

If I were running the Bucs, I'd fire him and try to get Marvin Lewis out of Cincy (if he's not fired). I've always thought that Marvin could be a top coach in the right situation, which discards the Bengals.

Ok, I'm done digressing. Bruce Allen has to be fired, too!!!

It If Far Gon Wap wrote:Speaking of firing players... eh would you be interested in cutting ties with Jeff Garcia and drafting a QB for the future... I don't know but you guys seem like your a caroseul of Quarterbacks at the moment.

There are already rumors about him being gone in the offseason and the team going after McNabb (if he leaves Philly, which I don't think will happen after making the playoffs) or Matt Casell (god, no...)

It If Far Gon Wap wrote:Chucky did have some promising stuff to say about your 4th string rookie QB from Oakland Tech (i forgot his name)

Chucky has something nice to say about anybody willing to play QB for him. After the Bruce Älmighty experiment, I don't believe a single word he might say about a QB.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:43 am
TMC wrote:There are already rumors about him being gone in the offseason and the team going after McNabb (if he leaves Philly, which I don't think will happen after making the playoffs) or Matt Casell (god, no...)

Not sold on Cassel? Neither am I.

Out here in Niner country folks talk about making a run for him. I'm just don't know. He's got the tools and definitely had some huge games, but also had some atrocious ones.

A very good first year that can be built on, but back-ups having a nice year has been seen before. He could possibly be another Scott Mitchell or Rob Johnson. Not to take anything away from him, but I suspect a lot of success has to do with the system/supporting cast out in New England.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:45 am
Linc Mob wrote:I suspect a lot of success has to do with the system/supporting cast out in New England.

Yeah, that's also what I think. I'd like to see an encore (with a worst supporting cast, if possible) before being ready to accept him as anything else than a good backup.

Problem here is that, being a QB on a dry market at the most important position on football, anybody that wants to sign him is gonna have to pony up a lot of money... and nobody really knows what they'll be paying for. He can be Drew Brees... or Alex Smith.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:52 pm
looks like you got your wish there TMC. Gruden was fired today. Bruce Allen as well.

Considering the timing of this and the fact that Allen got fired as well, there is no doubt they have an arrangement with someone to give them full control. There are only 3 people that are available that I can think of that could demand this:
Mike Holmgren
Mike Shanahan
Bill Cohwer

I woudl eliminate Holmgren because he promised his wife he would take a year off.

you dont fire a Gruden and Allen this late in the game unless you have a solid plan.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:09 pm
wow chucky is gone...didnt see that coming this late. maybe he can go to oakland where he belongs
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:11 pm
Wow this sets the BUCANEERS BACK years...

It's nothing like the DENVER situation where they got a great coach leaving but a kick ass new coach with a gun quarterback.

Jeff Garcia, has got a another year or 2 left in him max and then what... new coach means new system means No Chance in hell!!!

I feel for ya TMC... I'm firguring after having a bit of time to mull it over you really didn't want Chuck gone.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:22 am
bada wrote:looks like you got your wish there TMC. Gruden was fired today. Bruce Allen as well.

Considering the timing of this and the fact that Allen got fired as well, there is no doubt they have an arrangement with someone to give them full control. There are only 3 people that are available that I can think of that could demand this:
Mike Holmgren
Mike Shanahan
Bill Cohwer

I woudl eliminate Holmgren because he promised his wife he would take a year off.

you dont fire a Gruden and Allen this late in the game unless you have a solid plan.

Looks like its going to be Raheem Morris. Kind of surprising they waited this long to make the move since they were hiring from within. Do you think maybe they were afraid of Morris getting a HC offer and skipping town so they had to throw Chucky out on his ass? Or maybe they waited this long just to **** over Gruden and Allen?
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:25 am
i wonder if singletary not get hire yet for 49ers HC would they go for Guru Football (Gruden or Shanahan)...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:33 am
GSW United wrote:i wonder if singletary not get hire yet for 49ers HC would they go for Guru Football (Gruden or Shanahan)...

Yeah and Al Davis would go pick up Shannarat or Chucky and drive there butts to work at Candlestick Stadium... He'd probably even wish both men the best of luck on the first day of his job....

As for the other guy who didn't get Singletarys job well Al would just hire Gruden or Shannarat :D
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:20 am
PAPALPHAWHISKYNOVSKA wrote:Wow this sets the BUCANEERS BACK years...

It's nothing like the DENVER situation where they got a great coach leaving but a kick ass new coach with a gun quarterback.

Jeff Garcia, has got a another year or 2 left in him max and then what... new coach means new system means No Chance in hell!!!

I feel for ya TMC... I'm firguring after having a bit of time to mull it over you really didn't want Chuck gone.

Well, it depends how they handle it. I think it was smart to get rid of Chucky, but bad to get rid of him this late. Same with Allen.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:40 am
YESSSSSSS!!!!!

Good riddance, Chucky. Thanks for the mammaries... er, memories and don't let the door hit you on your way out!!!

Best part is also firing Bruce Allen. If Gruden were willing to JUST do his job and coach the team, I wouldn't have a problem with him, but GruAllen was a two headed monster that did way too much damage to the franchise to keep them.

Very few players developed (particularly, not a single QB. He's just played musical chairs with a bunch of vets), way too many mediocre drafts and always blaming our poor play on the final months on injuries. Oh, and we haven't won a single playoff game since the SB.

In fact, seems like the Glazers talked with most players on the roster before making this move, and most of them agreed that the team needed a change at HC. Also, most of them were really vocal about promoting Raheem Morris to become the new HC.

I love this quote from Joel Glazer about the firing:

"This is a town that appreciates good football, wants to win, wants to win a championship bad, and once you have that in your fan base, that’s all you can ask for. We feel the same way as our fans, and they want a winner. They want to win so badly and we want to help deliver it to them."

In other words, ENOUGH WITH ALL THOSE BS EXCUSES OF GRUALLEN. It's time to start building another winner. And the Glazers just proved they do care about winning, because these two firings are gonna cost them around $25 million.

As for his replacement, Raheem will be given the chance. I think it might be too early for a guy that has never been a coordinator before (at the NFL level), but there are a lot of similarities between him and Mike Tomlin. I'm pretty sure the Glazers will make this move to keep him before any other team signs him to become their HC. And I gotta say I love the idea.

Also, Mark Dominik will become the new GM of the Bucs. Don't know much about him other than he has a great rep as talent evaluator. He also was the second choice of the Chiefs in case Pioli decided to not sign there, so he has a good rep around the league.

A brand new era is about to start for Bucs football!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:23 am
Man, HUGE RISK! They just fired two guys with a proven track record of results for two guys who are completely unproven. I dont like the move for the Bucs. Maybe it works out but who knows.

I do know that the Bucs were in Cap hell when Bruce Allen got there and a few short years later they are now $45 million UNDER the cap while never having to rebuild and winning a couple of division titles. I think he has done an excellent job.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:43 pm
bada wrote:I do know that the Bucs were in Cap hell when Bruce Allen got there and a few short years later they are now $45 million UNDER the cap while never having to rebuild and winning a couple of division titles. I think he has done an excellent job.

Well, that's not enough for the Bucs. The Glazers have a lot of patience with coaches, but if you can't win in the playoffs, you'll eventually be fired.

That's why Dungy was fired, and Gruden won the SB with Dungy's team. Since then, not a single playoff win.

Also, I disagree about Bruce Allen. I think he's been a disgrace as a GM. We have all that cap space because GruAllen mainly signed vets to one or two year deals. The only long term signings in seven years have been Cato June and Jeff Faine (Ike Hilliard as well, but he's been signing several short term deals, so he never had any kind of impact on the cap). With that approach, it ain't hard to see why we're so much under the cap.

So they've been patching the team year after year, and still unable to win in the playoffs. People gets tired of that. Gruden did an ok job coaching, but lack of a long term project got him fired. And I totally agree with the move.

Still, as you say, it's a risky one. I'm also worried about Morris' lack of experience, tho, but if the Glazers are willing to promote him, I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:58 am
Ok, a few notes about the Choke Artists:

A league source tells us that the decision of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to fire coach Jon Gruden came after ownership spent a couple of weeks collecting feedback from players regarding Gruden. Per the source, a lot of the veterans were providing unflattering feedback as to their boss. "He would say something to a player one day and the next do the total opposite," the source said. "When he would cut guys, he wasn't man enough to talk with them and guys thought that was cowardly." Those sentiments are consistent with things receiver Michael Clayton said in the wake of the move. "It's about showing more confidence in your players," Clayton said. "He was kind of a turncoat. He'd tell you one thing and then do something else." It's fairly safe to say that the Glazers also were collecting information from players -- and hearing good things -- about Raheem Morris, who reportedly has already been hired to replace Gruden. Otherwise, there's no way that Morris would have gotten the job so quickly.

This comes from ProFootballTalk, which is the NFL equivalent of ReaGM, but seems to be pretty accurate this time. It seems like the top dogs of the Bucs are behind the firing, with guys like Clayton, Derrick Brooks and Jermaine Phillips being the most vocal.

Also, and onto Raheem's unveiling as the new Bucs HC...

New Role, Same Raheem

Jan 17, 2009 - His title has changed, quite rapidly in fact — from defensive backs coach to defensive coordinator to head coach, all within a matter of weeks.

His office space will change, from the more utilitarian digs of an assistant coach to the much larger office reserved for the team’s on-field leader.

His responsibilities will change, as he’ll now be tasked with overseeing every aspect of a football team trying to erase the sting of a late-season slide in 2008 and move into a new chapter in franchise history.

But, even amid all this change, one thing will remain constant about Raheem Morris — the man himself.

His newest promotion won’t change the energetic, passionate style he’s always brought to the game. Nor will it alter the work ethic that has allowed him to make a meteoric rise from a Bucs quality control coach in 2002 to the league’s youngest head coach in 2008.

And while much will be made about the youthful, exuberant personality that Morris brings to the table in the coming weeks and months as he assumes control, Morris isn’t interested in highlighting any of those qualities that earned him his newest promotion.

Rather, he pointed out his parents seated in the front row at a press conference announcing his hiring Saturday afternoon and thanked them for molding him into the man he is today — and the man he says he will continue to be as he takes on his biggest challenge to date.

“Honestly, you’ve got to ask other people that,” Morris said when asked about his leadership qualities. “That question is not fair for me to answer. I don’t have a big ego. I’ve got core beliefs, I’m Raheem Morris, from those two people right there, and that’s all I am. I’m just Raheem Morris, that’s all.”

But who is Raheem Morris, exactly, and what are these core beliefs he refers to?

Bucs fans likely know him as the energetic young coach that spent the 2008 season as the team’s defensive backs coach before earning a promotion to defensive coordinator on Christmas Day.

Morris originally joined the Bucs as a defensive quality control coach in 2002 before spending the 2003 season as a defensive assistant and 2004-05 as the team’s assistant defensive backs coach. Morris then spent the 2006 season as the defensive coordinator at Kansas State, but was lured back to Tampa after the usually-stingy Bucs pass defense fell to a number-19 ranking the lone year he was away.

Often seen rallying his charges with a visible degree of excitement from the sidelines or flying high in the air to give a celebratory chest bump after a big play, Morris is known for his passionate approach to the game.

“I expect to see the exact same Raheem,” veteran running back Warrick Dunn said Saturday, and throughout much of his press conference Morris echoed a similar sentiment. Even if Buccaneers fans haven’t gotten to know the real Raheem Morris well just yet, they soon will.

“The fans are everything,” Morris said. “Everything based on the Buccaneers since I’ve been here is based on the fan base. We respect our fans. We respect our community. We want to do as much as we can to help it. I’m from a community, and I love that community. But this is my community now and I’m responsible for it. As the head coach, you’re the front porch of the organization and you’re the front porch of your community. That’s what I want to be.”

And as for his core beliefs, Morris says fans can expect many of the same fundamentals he has stressed ever since he came to Tampa.

“We all know in this room — it’s no secret — we’ve got to finish better,” Morris said. “There isn’t any doubt about it. We’ve got to finish. That is the whole emphasis — finish. It’s hustle, it’s hit, it’s back to the basics. Go read our core beliefs. That’s what we’ve got to do. We’ve got to be consistent in our plan, period.”

So although the Glazer family felt a change was in the best interest of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers organization, it is actually a man intent on not making many changes — at least not to his fundamental style and beliefs — that will now lead the Bucs into the future.

“I’m going to be Raheem Morris,” said the Bucs’ new head coach. “The atmosphere changes with the person. You deal with people how you deal with people on an everyday basis. That’s what I plan to do. We’re a family. The Glazers are a family. We’re family-driven. That’s how we work. We’ve always worked that way. [Co-Chairman] Joel [Glazer] said it the best — the Buccaneers are in my blood. I’ve been raised here. You guys raised me, all you guys.

“Around here, we don’t talk about philosophies as much. Our philosophy is our core beliefs, it’s our fundamental style of attack. That’s who we are, that’s who we’ll always be and we’ll stay doing that. We’re going to stay the course. That’s what we have to do to be great.”

I'm seriously thrilled about our new coach. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board