The Tampa Bay Choke Artists Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:21 am
Gaines Adams is a Bear. And we've just gotten the Bears 2010 second round pick.

All I gotta say is... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:31 am
I guess Adams just never cut it for you guys, I assume?

What's the update at QB? I know Josh Freeman is a rookie, but stat wise, Josh Johnson doesn't look all that bad for the very little I know of him.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:44 am
xbay wrote:I guess Adams just never cut it for you guys, I assume?

He wasn't committed. Every once in a while, usually after a coach calls him out in the media, he has a good game (but just good), but never developed any moves to get to the QB (relying only on speed), never did anything against the run...

I couldn't be happier with the trade. A second rounder for him is straight robbery. It's almost like migya was behind this trade (for the Bucs). :mrgreen:

xbay wrote:What's the update at QB? I know Josh Freeman is a rookie, but stat wise, Josh Johnson doesn't look all that bad for the very little I know of him.

I liked what Johnson has done so far. I mean, I knew he had talent. You just don't finish a season with a 45:1 TD-INT ration in a bad team if you're not good, even if we're talking about college.

But Bryant and Clayton ain't helping him much. Clayton put a drop clinic in his last game, and Bryant has been slowed down by injuries and also had a few drops that hurt Johnson's stats. Clayton's new contract, in particular, is looking terrible at this point. I'm rooting for Sammie Stroughter to replace him as a starter at some point this season, something that looks probable if he keeps having problems catching the ball.

But back to Freeman, he's the future of the franchise, no matter what happens with Josh. Freeman's been developing nicely and will get his chance before the season ends (I think we might see him after the London game). The Bucs just need to find out what they have in Freeman.

Oh, and we've recently signed Yamon Figurs (over Matt Jones and a few others), a teammate of Freeman in Kansas State... so it looks like the team is committed to Freeman no matter what.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:16 pm
I agree with your take about the compensation the Bears gave for Adams. They gave up WAY too much. A fourth or 5th rounder would have been much more appropriate.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:18 am
bada wrote:I agree with your take about the compensation the Bears gave for Adams. They gave up WAY too much. A fourth or 5th rounder would have been much more appropriate.

Yep, for the kind of performance he's put on as a Buc, IO wouldn't have traded more than a 5th rounder for him. He's just a physical freak with no instincts, and that never deserves a second round grade.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:11 pm
A few quick notes about the game:

* The secondary did a good job. Having Tanard Jackson back changes the whole unit, Sabby looks less clueless (although still far from being good), Talib is developing nicely as a shutdown CB and Ronde keeps playing at a high level).

* The run D was absolutely atrocious, as always. That lost the game for us.

* As for the offense, a couple bright points are Caddy, who as long as he's able to stay healthy, will do a good job on the ground, and Sammie Stroughter, who's been the feel good story of the team and is quietly having the best season of our WR corps (which, in itself, ain't saying much, but it's certainly a lot more than what was expected of a 7th rounder).

Oh, and having Jeff Faine back helped a lot our running game as well. A pity the Panthers D always new what to expect, as we weren't able to move the ball on the passing downs.

So, for those of you that didn't not want to read through all that:

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:24 pm
TMC wrote:A few quick notes about the game:

* The secondary did a good job. Having Tanard Jackson back changes the whole unit, Sabby looks less clueless (although still far from being good), Talib is developing nicely as a shutdown CB and Ronde keeps playing at a high level).

* The run D was absolutely atrocious, as always. That lost the game for us.

* As for the offense, a couple bright points are Caddy, who as long as he's able to stay healthy, will do a good job on the ground, and Sammie Stroughter, who's been the feel good story of the team and is quietly having the best season of our WR corps (which, in itself, ain't saying much, but it's certainly a lot more than what was expected of a 7th rounder).

Oh, and having Jeff Faine back helped a lot our running game as well. A pity the Panthers D always new what to expect, as we weren't able to move the ball on the passing downs.

So, for those of you that didn't not want to read through all that:

thanks
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:58 pm
Hey TMC, how long have you been a bucs fan? Are you familiar with a former first round pick Marcus Jones? He's 35 years old now, and is on the ultimate fighter this season. The guy is a monster, nearly broke this guys arm in his fight. He's such a gentle guy though its funny. Anyway, I don't remember him, maybe you do.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:05 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:Hey TMC, how long have you been a bucs fan? Are you familiar with a former first round pick Marcus Jones? He's 35 years old now, and is on the ultimate fighter this season. The guy is a monster, nearly broke this guys arm in his fight. He's such a gentle guy though its funny. Anyway, I don't remember him, maybe you do.

Yeah, I remember him, at least his last 3 seasons with the Bucs. Was a big motor guy that lacked talent but still was an effective DE because he never took plays off. It was always fun to have him out there.

Also, I read that he was always available to fans and the like, at any time. He's one of the most likable guys on that roster, albeit he was eventually replaced by Simeon Rice, a total jerk but a hell of a player (although they played Rice's first season in Tampa together).

Haven't followed his UF career, tho, but I guess it's gotta be pretty similar to his football career. A high effort, high motor guy that never stops and always looks cool.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:07 pm
TMC wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:Hey TMC, how long have you been a bucs fan? Are you familiar with a former first round pick Marcus Jones? He's 35 years old now, and is on the ultimate fighter this season. The guy is a monster, nearly broke this guys arm in his fight. He's such a gentle guy though its funny. Anyway, I don't remember him, maybe you do.

Yeah, I remember him, at least his last 3 seasons with the Bucs. Was a big motor guy that lacked talent but still was an effective DE because he never took plays off. It was always fun to have him out there.

Also, I read that he was always available to fans and the like, at any time. He's one of the most likable guys on that roster, albeit he was eventually replaced by Simeon Rice, a total jerk but a hell of a player (although they played Rice's first season in Tampa together).

Haven't followed his UF career, tho, but I guess it's gotta be pretty similar to his football career. A high effort, high motor guy that never stops and always looks cool.

he actually mentioned his career on the show. He talked about being teammates with guys that were students of the game like Derrick Brooks and John Lynch, but he loved the competition and couldn't become a student of the game to become really good.

He said he actually loves MMA and can watch it all day. He looks pretty good out there. He destroyed some dude.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:38 pm
I've missed the last few Bucs games. Not totally, but I only watched the highlights, as I had no stomach for anything else.

But... I decided to take a look at this one, as it was Freeman's first start as a Buc. That is, it was the first game of the new Bucs franchise.

Well, so far, the game still seems way too fast for him. It's clear he's just not ready for the NFL. Doesn't come as a surprise, tho. That's been the story all along with him.

He's made mistakes, like a couple of passes overthrown, another one that became an interception underthrown...but he's also made a couple of big plays, and that's great, but overall, he's just not ready yet.

Although I've got to admit he's doing quite well in this last two-minute drill...

Also, Stovall is looking great. I'm sure he could be our Marques Colston, if only he could stay healthy...

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:27 pm
Tampa Bay can uncork the champagne.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:37 pm
So, instead of editing my previous post, I'm gonna post my second half comments of Freeman's first game and look like a moron...

Ok, first of all, we gave up several big plays to the Packers, but our D also played much better than ever this season. 6 sacks, 3 INTs... that's the kind of stuff that helps our offense win games.

Now, on to Freeman, he just proved he's not a bust in the second half. Actually, he proved himself to be money on the end zone, and to have an arm like we haven't seen in a Bucs jersey since... well, since I can remember.

He corrected many of the mistakes he did in the first half, seemed more poised and calm on the pocket and quietly lead to the team to an unexpected win over a much better team like the Packers. That's the kind of stuff you expect from a franchise QB. Reminded me a lot the kind of performances Big Ben had as a rookie for the Steelers.

Oh, and we ain't winless anymore... \:D/
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:13 am
Ok, so we're news again. And why?. Because the Bucs just fired Jimmy Bates as their D-coordinator, or, should I say, Raheem fired him, as he claims.

From now on, Raheem will act both as HC and D-coordinator. This is gonna be ugly... and worst of all is that everybody is realizing that the current Bucs are a mess.

Oh, in another news, Greg Olson, the brain of our putrid offense, has been given an extension. F*ck me. :banghead:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:15 am
I'll have to rename this thread once again. Consecutive wins at Seattle and New Orleans have me smiling again...

Some points about the game:

* First, the Saints. They looked poised for an unbeaten season when they beat the Pats on monday night. But they've lost two straight at home against the Cowboys (who showed the way to beat, by blitzing a lot, particularly on the Saints left side) and the... Bucs.

Basically, they have some serious reasons for concern. The offense only put up 17 points against our D, the D was absolutely unable to stop us in the second half and seems like a team that peaked early in the season and has already played their best football. Also, Payton seems to have forgotten about balancing their passing and running game, like he did during the first half of the season, and that's one of the reasons they're not undefeated.

* Onto the Bucs:

1.- Josh Freeman is a rookie and makes lots of mistakes. But he's also been really impressive in tough game like this one. Without many weapons on this Bucs roster, the Saints still were absolutely unable to stop him in the second half. The kid is showing a lot of good things, to the point that it can be argued that he's been the best rookie QB of the year, even above Sanchez and Stafford.

2.- Connor Barth has been really good since he took over as our K. And if you think it doesn't matter that much, ask the Saints if they're still happy they picked Hartley over Carney.

3.- After decades of sucking returning punts and kick offs, it's now one of our top weapons. Clifton Smith is a pro bowler in that regard, and Spurlock is really dangerous as well.

4.- The team has been playing some pretty decent D since Rah fired Bated and made the team go back to the Tampa 2. I don't know why they left the system, to begin with, but going back to it was the right call. This game and his previous win in Seattle may have saved Raheem's job (and also Greg Olsen's), at least for one more year.

5.- Caddy had his best game since his rookie year. He's made an amazing comeback this season, and we certainly needed it, because Ward has been a huge disappointment.

6.- One player to mention above any other is LB Geno Hayes, who I've been touting since preseason. He's replaced Derrick Brooks and have already become our best LB, even above Barrett Ruud. Had another 9 tackle, 1 sack game against the Saints and looks like a future pro bowler candidate if he keeps growing like he's done this year.

7.- We still have two glaring holes for next year's draft, at WR (Clayton's re-signing was a mistake, Bryant is a prima donna, Stovall can't stay healthy and Stroughter, while good, can't be more than a #2) and at DT (Hovan is up there in age, Roy Miller is decent and Sims is a backup's backup, at best). We have other needs as well, like a new RT to replace Trueblood, another CB, one (or two, if we don't keep Ruud) LBs, at least one DE... but this team certainly has the cap space and the picks to quickly improve and be competitive, maybe even by next season.

8.- Our ST are having a big season. A pity other areas of the team are so bad that only stat junkies can notice.

Bad things:

9.- As previously noted, we don't have many weapons on the passing game, so more props to Freeman, who basically can only rely on Winslow as a consistent performer.

10.- Piscitelly seems to always end games with good stats... but this kid still doesn't know how to tackle, for god's sake.

Also, there's a story about the team contacting Cowher a few days ago. Seems like it's a true story, but with nothing out of it other than the Bucs doing their due diligence about Cowher's willingness to coach next year. And, frankly, considering the way the team is playing, I think Raheem deserves one last chance next year. Just give him something else to work with...

So, since we just beat the Saints, at the Superdome, I can only close this post saying:

WE DAT!!!
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board