The Tampa Bay Choke Artists Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:09 pm
xbay wrote:Any news on the Bucs drafting situation? Where are they looking towards come April?

I DID miss this post, XBay... Don't know why, but better answering now than never, right?

Well, latest talk was that they're interested in adding a QB, and considering what's left in free agency, Josh Freeman's name has come up more than a bit. Also, it should be noted that Raheem was the D-Coordinator of Kansas State a few years back (in Freeman's first season, if I'm not wrong), so he has a more than good understanding of Freeman's skills.

Of course, that changes a lot now that Cutler is officially available, although I don't think the Bucs have the ammo to trade for him. They'd have to trade this year's first rounder and a few future rounds to get him, which would leave the Bucs without a pick til the third round.

I think the Browns have the best chance to trade for Cutler, if you ask me, being able to trade Quinn or Derek Anderson, Shaun Rogers and a pick to Denver. If they want him, I'm sure Cutler will be a Brown (unless the Broncos want to trade him to the NFC).

But back to topic, if it's not a QB, we have needs at DT, DE, CB and WR, probably in that order, so I wouldn't be surprised if they go with one of those positions instead of Freeman, as Morris will be in win-now mode.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:51 pm
Freeman is an intriguing prospect. I don't know much about him, but from what I have read, at least he's no Tavaris Jackson.

But I agree about Cutler. It's going to take the Bucs a ton of firepower to acquire him, and I just don't believe they do. The Browns probably have the best chance since they can give a starting QB to them like you said. If Cutler doesn't go to the Browns, he'll be leaving the Broncos in a three-team trade.

Anyways, about the draft. I haven't heard about anyone special at the DT in the draft. Or at least, I haven't read up on any prospects just yet. I've seen a lot of mock drafts having the Bucs take Freeman first, though.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:20 pm
xbay wrote:Anyways, about the draft. I haven't heard about anyone special at the DT in the draft. Or at least, I haven't read up on any prospects just yet. I've seen a lot of mock drafts having the Bucs take Freeman first, though.

Well, Morris has been touting him for a while now... which means we'll probably go in another direction. I've never seen a coach talk so highly about a guy before the draft to end up picking him.

Personally, I'd like to grab Freeman instead of trading for Cutler, because we just don't have the ammo to win a sweepstake for him without hurting our future drafts. He'd be the best QB we've had since... Doug Williams. But you can't bank everything on a QB and expect him to win without surrounding him with the required talent.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:32 pm
You know... it's funny how easily things would have been solved had that trade went down between the Patriots, Broncos, and Bucs.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:25 pm
xbay wrote:You know... it's funny how easily things would have been solved had that trade went down between the Patriots, Broncos, and Bucs.

Yep, but Denver did much better this time. Would you rather have Orton, two firsts and a third or just Matt Casel?. The Cutler deal makes even more ridiculous the prize the Chiefs paid for Casel.

Back to topic, I'm happy the Bucs didn't even try to outbid the Bears. Now they have Cutler, but have no WRs for him to throw to and an old o-line... and three first day picks less in the next two drafts. Way to mortgage your future...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:30 pm
TMC wrote:
xbay wrote:You know... it's funny how easily things would have been solved had that trade went down between the Patriots, Broncos, and Bucs.

Yep, but Denver did much better this time. Would you rather have Orton, two firsts and a third or just Matt Casel?. The Cutler deal makes even more ridiculous the prize the Chiefs paid for Casel.

Back to topic, I'm happy the Bucs didn't even try to outbid the Bears. Now they have Cutler, but have no WRs for him to throw to and an old o-line... and three first day picks less in the next two drafts. Way to mortgage your future...

True, but I think the ties between the Chiefs GM(who worked with the Pats before) and the Patriots helped that cause.

Anyways, it appears the Bears are desperate for a QB. Because that's what I see from it. I guess it's a start... to finally get their QB. Now, if they surround him with weapons, they'll be fine. Thing is... they only have two weapons, and they're not as good as the ones he had in Denver.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:03 am
We have one more Choke Artist locked long term. Kellen Winslow has just signed a 6 year deal worth $36.1 million that makes him the highest paid TE in the NFL.

Guess it makes sense, considering that the team traded a second rounder for him, and you don't make that kind of deal for a guy that may bolt after a couple of seasons.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:05 am
TMC wrote:We have one more Choke Artist locked long term. Kellen Winslow has just signed a 6 year deal worth $36.1 million that makes him the highest paid TE in the NFL.

Guess it makes sense, considering that the team traded a second rounder for him, and you don't make that kind of deal for a guy that may bolt after a couple of seasons.

Winslow gets the big pay day without even playing a down for the old team and after burning bridges with the old team. Must be nice to have his talent.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:50 am
Well, finally some good news regarding our shaky QB situation. Byron Leftwich has been at One Buc Place already, and the Bucs seem ready to offer him a contract to compete with McCown for the starting job.

I actually believe Leftwich can be a more than capable starter in the NFL, and I've got nothing against McCown, but all I'm hearing is how great and athlete he is. And, quite frankly, I want my QBs to be poised, accurate and clutch. "One of the best athletes at his position" is the not the kind of description that reassures my confidence in McCown.

Also, signing Leftwich would allow us to look for other options in the draft than QB, maybe a DT (Peria Jerry?), DE (Michael Johnson?) or even a speedy WR (Heyward-Bey?). All of those guys would help a lot more than Freeman, who ain't ready to play and would need, at least, a year of seasoning... and trading up for Sanchez looks incredibly costly, particularly without a second rounder.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:17 am
hmm, I dont see Leftwich being a real good fit in Jags' system but then again, he may not run the same stuff that he did in college. But I do agree that Leftwich still can be quality.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:07 am
bada wrote:hmm, I dont see Leftwich being a real good fit in Jags' system but then again, he may not run the same stuff that he did in college. But I do agree that Leftwich still can be quality.

Well, I'd much rather have Drew Brees, Big Ben or Payton Manning, but considering that our current starter is Luke McCown... I'd gladly take Leftwich and be grateful for it. :wink:

EDIT: Seems like Leftwich has left Tampa without a contract, as the team has decided to wait until after next year's scheduled meeting with Freeman. I'd rather sign Leftwich than draft Freeman, considering the amount of holes this team has, particularly on the d-line, but seems like the Bucs are going to wait before they make a decision.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:58 am
Donald Penn is back with the team after signing his one-year tender. It was expected, as he was carrying a first and a third price tag, something no team was gonna pay for him.

Still, it's nice to retain our whole o-line, probably the brightest point of our offense last year. And a key for our new power running game.

Also, after re-signing Winslow, the team is trying to get something done long term with Barret Rudd and Antonio Bryant.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:00 am
LOL sorry, i'm sure u guys have talked about this already, but 6 years, hella millions for Kellen Made-out-of-glass Winslow is ridiculous.

- From a guy who's team signed Javon Walker to 5 year deal
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:53 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:LOL sorry, i'm sure u guys have talked about this already, but 6 years, hella millions for Kellen Made-out-of-glass Winslow is ridiculous.

- From a guy who's team signed Javon Walker to 5 year deal

Yeah, but after trading a second round for him, I think it's natural the team considers him as a long term bet. You just don't trade so much value for a guy that's only gonna be there for one or two years. I get it from that point of view... although it's true that's a lot of cash for a guy that has missed so many games over the course of his career.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:55 pm
And they just signed Byron Leftwich to a 2-year deal. So does that mean they still go after Freeman? I think so.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board