Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:11 pm
Oh, neglected to list the 3 GM candidates

Ravens director of player personnel Eric DeCosta
Packers director of football operations John Schneider
and Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross

There was some talk about Cardinals director of player personnel Steve Keim, but that seems to have died down.

Out of those, personally DeCosta would be my pick

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:48 pm
my mistake.

If Carrol does leave, USC's dominance will be over. Plus with sanctions looming in the future, Carrol seems to be bolting right in time. Going to be interesting to see what happens.

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:59 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:my mistake.

If Carrol does leave, USC's dominance will be over. Plus with sanctions looming in the future, Carrol seems to be bolting right in time. Going to be interesting to see what happens.

I hope that's not true. California really needs USC football. We're waaaaaay too inconsistent without it.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:14 pm
bada wrote:It pretty much seems like a given that Carroll is the next coach and that a deal has been reached. I think news that Frazier and a couple other minority candidates have refused to interview only solidify that as people around the league know it is done and they dont wish to participate in the "curtosy" interview.

Yeah, I get that feeling as well. Frazier has interviewed before for teams like Atlanta, and the Seahawks job looks a lot more interesting than that one (we're talking pre-Ryan Falcons, of course), so he probably is rejecting them to avoid being the guy that's just there to comply with the Rooney rule.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:44 am
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:my mistake.

I hope that's not true. California really needs USC football. We're waaaaaay too inconsistent without it.

Very true. USC is the poster boy for the Pac-10. Their dominance is what keeps this division respectable. I don't enjoy it, but no one else in the division has stayed consistent. Carroll has done a WONDERFUL job recruiting there.

BTW, I heard the deal with Carroll could be a rather large one. Somewhere along the lines of 5 years and BIG money. It was a rumor that Sportscenter reported, and he's expected to take it.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:33 am
xbay wrote:BTW, I heard the deal with Carroll could be a rather large one. Somewhere along the lines of 5 years and BIG money. It was a rumor that Sportscenter reported, and he's expected to take it.

Meanwhile, seems like Frazier has agreed to the interview, which I think it's a good decision, just in case Carroll doesn't sign.

Still, this situation once again proves my point that the Rooney rule has outlived it's usefulness. I know it helped some minority hirings, Bada, but I think everybody is aware that what really matters is how good a coach is, and if he fits into the team's long term plan, not their ethnic background. At this point, I think that it's more of a burden than anything when it comes to teams that have decided that they want a certain guy to coach. Why get in the way of that with a bogus interview that won't change a thing?

btw, Eric DeCosta and Tom Heckert Jr have decided to not interview for the GM position. DeCosta seems to have a guarantee by the Ravens to be Newsome's replacement in the future and Heckert seems to be the leading candidate to be the Browns GM, so no surprises here. Also, maybe watching how they wouldn't have an input in the new coach had anything to do with those rejections...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:04 am
Seems like it's a done deal. Carroll will be the next Seahawks HC, once Frazier interviews to follow the Rooney rule charade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4810861

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:06 pm
RIP USC football?

Good luck to the Hawks. It seems pretty rare that an elite college coach repeats his success at the pro level.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:22 am
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:RIP USC football?

Good luck to the Hawks. It seems pretty rare that an elite college coach repeats his success at the pro level.

Yeah, but Carroll has previous experience in the NFL, and that should help.

Still, it's gonna be interesting to see what happens. I think the Seahawks offense needs to be completely revamped, but, at least, they have a lot of good pieces on D to be competitive.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:43 am
The thing with the Hawks is that they've ALWAYS faced injuries. For the past couple years, they have had problems on the o-line, defense, and even with Hass. They all get hurt.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:38 am
First off, there's a Seachickens thread? WTF? I need to check up on this board more.
TMC wrote:
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:RIP USC football?

Yeah, but Carroll has previous experience in the NFL, and that should help.

Still, it's gonna be interesting to see what happens. I think the Seahawks offense needs to be completely revamped, but, at least, they have a lot of good pieces on D to be competitive.
SoCal is right, TMC, many coaches that make this move have NFL exp. or at least pro exp. Carrol has more at HC than most, but head coaching the Jets and Pats over 10 years ago to a very mediocre 33-31 will not translate to today's game - the NFL evolves more and quicker than any other sport.

How many lame NFL HCs in recent year have we seen go to college and tear it up? If only it works the other way around his 67-7 run at USC would translate to at least translate to 14-2 average in his upcoming NFL years - I bet his best season will be going 9-7 once.

I'm watching his presser right now and he sounds like a tweeker, lol this is the most uninspiring induction i've seen in a while. Damn Seahawks, I actually liked Carroll before - now I've got to hate him.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:50 pm
Keep in mind the guy has coached in the NFL for 16 years! This separates him from the failures everyone keeps mentioning.

Here are the NFL experience of recent college to NFL coaches before becoming an NFL head coach:

Spurrier - 0
Petrino - 2
Saban - 4
Erickson - 0

Who knows if he will be the right guy or not, but to lump him as a "college" coach I dont think it accurate considering he has coached in the NFL twice as long as he has college.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:40 pm
bada wrote:Keep in mind the guy has coached in the NFL for 16 years! This separates him from the failures everyone keeps mentioning.

Here are the NFL experience of recent college to NFL coaches before becoming an NFL head coach:

Spurrier - 0
Petrino - 2
Saban - 4
Erickson - 0

Who knows if he will be the right guy or not, but to lump him as a "college" coach I dont think it accurate considering he has coached in the NFL twice as long as he has college.
Not quite, Carroll only had 4 years at HC in the NFL. As a HC and assistant/coordinator he had 14 Total seasons in college and 12 in the NFL.

Are you referring to Erickson's career when he accepted the Seahawks job or 9ers? I assume your referring to the seahawks.

Spurrier did play in the NFL for 8 seasons and he coached 2 years at the pro ranks in the USFL - the origins of the "fun 'n' gun" offense.

And don't forget:
Butch Davis - 5 years
Rich Brooks - 4 years
Mike Riley - 0

Jimmy Johnson is about the only exception.

What I was actually referring to, in my previous post, was the rapid success that former NFL HCs have in the college ranks - not so much the other way around. If any college coach deserves a crack (or second, third, fourth crack) at the NFL it is Carroll or Urban Meyer, though I doubt his spread would translate well.

And lets not forget that after going 6-10 with Jets, Carroll inherited a team that just went to the Superbowl the previous year.

If I could put aside my hate for the Seashawks for a moment and offer an unbiased opinion; They pulled the trigger on Mora too soon - it's not like they guy had much to work with. Hell, 5-11 is a one game improvement over what the future HOFer Holmgren did in the previous year.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:49 pm
bada wrote:Keep in mind the guy has coached in the NFL for 16 years! This separates him from the failures everyone keeps mentioning.

Spurrier - 0
Petrino - 2
Saban - 4
Erickson - 0

I think he's an NFL coach, but not so sure he will be a successful NFL head coach this time around either. He wasn't all that great before, but i do think he will bring some stability to the hawks and will do some necessary housecleaning. THere are some talented players on that Hawks team , but with all the injuries they might have to cut bait on a few of them.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:04 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:

Spurrier - 0
Petrino - 2
Saban - 4
Erickson - 0

I think he's an NFL coach, but not so sure he will be a successful NFL head coach this time around either. He wasn't all that great before, but i do think he will bring some stability to the hawks and will do some necessary housecleaning. THere are some talented players on that Hawks team , but with all the injuries they might have to cut bait on a few of them.
For $33 mil the Hawks should be expecting for than just a house cleaner. I just don't see them passing on Jim Mora after just one season, especially after it was an improvement. Mora is going to get another chance some where else and teams like the Hawks, Falcons, and even the 9ers are going to regret not giving the guy more of a shot. Look at how long the Jags have given Rio. It's premature and indicative of a still-young/inexperience franchise that is hitting the panic button and making a classless move.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board