Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:57 am
It seems like they wanted to judging from this:

Barry Has Not Interviewed With Bucs
Posted January 07, 2009 by Roy Cummings
Updated Jan 07, 2009 at 01:39 PM

TAMPA – All that talk of Joe Barry coming back to coach the Bucs linebackers isn’t premature but it’s definitely ahead of the curve.

First off, the Bucs are believed to be interested primarily in bringing Gus Bradley back as their linebackers coach, but they won’t know if they can do that until Bradley returns from his visit with the Seahawks, whom he interviewed with Tuesday.

Secondly, Barry has not interviewed with the Bucs or any other team for a job since he was fired two weeks ago, and he says he’s keeping all his options open.

In any case, they will bring him along slowly as it is expected that Mora will be calling the defensive plays on game day. They wanted to bring someone on to help put in the game plan during the week and supposedly Bradley was a big part the last two years of doing that.
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:51 am
First news I've read about it. Everything I've reado so far pointed in the other way, that he was allowed to leave without much fight.

In any case, seem like you also have a new Bucs link in Seattle:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/10/rod-not-the-only-marinelli-finding-work/

Former Lions defensive coordinator Joe Barry, Marinelli’s son-in-law, agreed to become the Seahawks’ linebackers coach, a team source said Saturday. Barry struggled through last season with Detroit and was fired at the end of it.

Barry’s hire was part of an extensive shakeup of Seattle’s coaching staff. The Seahawks also hired former Jets defensive line coach Dan Quinn as their assistant head coach and defensive line coach. Quinn was one of the more sought-after assistant coaches on the market and drew interest from multiple teams.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:48 am
Mora held his first news conference as head coach yesterday. Here is some stuff about the hiring of Bradley

On what convinced him to hire Casey “Gus” Bradley: “I got a call about two weeks ago from a man that I have great respect for: Monte Kiffin. I worked with Monte in New Orleans, and I’ve stayed close to Monte. Monte is a legend in this game as a football coach. Monte calls me JL. Have you ever heard Monte talk? He’s kind of like, [does impression]. That’s enough Monte. He said, ‘Hey JL. Listen to me. I have got a guy here in Tampa that is one of, if not the finest, football coaches I have ever worked with. He’s an A+. He’s a once-in-a-lifetime coach. You need to talk to him. His name’s Gus Bradley. He was the defensive coordinator for x-number of years in college. I hired him to be our quality control coach, knowing that Joe Barry was going to go to the Detroit Lions and I wanted to make him the linebacker coach, and JL, this guy is special. You have to bring him in, you have to talk to him.’ Well, when a man like Monte Kiffin, who’s had the success that he’s had in this league, and someone that I’m familiar with and have great respect for personally and professionally, says that to you, you say, ‘I think I better bring this guy in and talk to him. So I brought Gus in last Wednesday. I picked him up at the hotel at 8am, and I dropped him off at 11pm, which meant I spent 15 consecutive hours with Gus, because I felt that that was an incredibly important decision to make: who was going to be our defensive coordinator, who I was going to put in the room with that group of men so that they can reach the level of play that they need to reach for us to bring a Super Bowl to the city of Seattle. Through the course of the day, I realized, ‘Boy, Monte is dead-on. This guy is special.’

“He’s grounded in fundamentals. He’s got great energy, he’s got a passion for the game. He has tremendous knowledge of the game and yet, he has conviction about what he wants to do, coupled with the flexibility to be open to new ideas. We had breakfast together, we had lunch together, we had dinner together, we even went in and got a workout together, we watched film, we talked about personnel, we talked about our families, we talked about what was important to him other than football, we got him up on the board and we talked Xs and Os. I mean, it was thorough. And we hadn’t made a decision! I was convinced that this guy was certainly going to be a coordinator in the National Football League and someday, a head football coach
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:03 am
Hey, Bada, rumors from Atlanta have Seattle as one of the teams (among 5 others) that have inquired about trading for Vick's rights.

I'm not sure there's anything real into it. It might just be a rumor made up by an Atlanta journalist that tied Mora's old ties with the Falcons with Hasselbeck's age and decided it makes sense for Seattle to look at acquiring a QB.

Still, how would you feel if it happens?. Would you go for it if it doesn't take more than, say... one or two second day draft picks?.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:40 am
TMC wrote:Hey, Bada, rumors from Atlanta have Seattle as one of the teams (among 5 others) that have inquired about trading for Vick's rights.

I'm not sure there's anything real into it. It might just be a rumor made up by an Atlanta journalist that tied Mora's old ties with the Falcons with Hasselbeck's age and decided it makes sense for Seattle to look at acquiring a QB.

Still, how would you feel if it happens?. Would you go for it if it doesn't take more than, say... one or two second day draft picks?.

I have heard NOTHING about that from any legitimate Hawk news sources (does not mean that it is not true though). I gotta believe that is just a writer saying that because of ties with Mora but there is NO CHANCE of that happening as GM Tim Ruskell preaches "character" almost every time he speaks. No way he brings in a convicted felon.

For my personal feelings, I would not take Vick if you got him AND a 1st round pick.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:58 pm
I am really bummed about Crabtree's injury. I REALLY wanted the guy. I dont think the Hawks take him at 4 now
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:19 pm
bada wrote:I am really bummed about Crabtree's injury. I REALLY wanted the guy. I dont think the Hawks take him at 4 now

Why?. It's a pity he's injured, but I don't think it should affect his draft status (although I guess it will). He's, by far, the top WR, and the Seahawks are in dire need of a top WR. I think they'll consider him, injury or not.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:50 pm
bada wrote:I am really bummed about Crabtree's injury. I REALLY wanted the guy. I dont think the Hawks take him at 4 now

its ok bada... the raiders will have to take him then :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:39 pm
Bada should be thrilled to talk about this when he comes back. But it was just reported that TJ Houshmandzadeh has signed with the Seahawks to a 5-year deal. It was between Seattle, Minny, and Cincy. Michael Smith reported the Seahawks as the front runner yesterday because TJ had expressed strong interest in playing with Matt Hasselbeck. Great pick up for them, bad thing for Niner fans. Stopping him and Deion Branch isn't going to be fun.

I'm guessing this changes everything now with their draft. Looks like they won't take Crabtree. I think they could be looking at OL now.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:03 am
xbay wrote:Bada should be thrilled to talk about this when he comes back. But it was just reported that TJ Houshmandzadeh has signed with the Seahawks to a 5-year deal. It was between Seattle, Minny, and Cincy. Michael Smith reported the Seahawks as the front runner yesterday because TJ had expressed strong interest in playing with Matt Hasselbeck. Great pick up for them, bad thing for Niner fans. Stopping him and Deion Branch isn't going to be fun.

I'm guessing this changes everything now with their draft. Looks like they won't take Crabtree. I think they could be looking at OL now.

Yeah, that changes the draft picture a lot. Probably OL, but I wouldn't be surprised if they go D-Line either.

Bada will know better, tho...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:40 pm
Yes, I am excited about getting Housh. A bit more money than I would have liked for a 31 year old WR but the guy is SO consistent and will definately help.

I dont think signing Housh means they wont draft Crabtree. Bobby Engram will be gone meaning they will have Housh, Branch (who cant stay healthy, and Burleson (who missed the entire season with a knee injury) as their top 3 WR's. GM Ruskell said he has NO desire to go through what they went through last year at WR and made it a point that they will have more depth at the position and will not be neglected.

I am still hoping they draft Crab at 4. I do know that Ruskell has said he does not like taking OL this high in drafts. He did not really go much into why and it could be a smokescreen.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:41 pm
TMC, I hear Bucs SS Jermaine Phillips in heading to Seattle for a visit. Have any info/thoughts on the guy?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:26 am
bada wrote:TMC, I hear Bucs SS Jermaine Phillips in heading to Seattle for a visit. Have any info/thoughts on the guy?

For starters, the Chargers are also trying to sign him, as well as the Bucs. He said he's gonna decide after the trip to Seattle.

He's a pretty decent player. Not consistent, certainly, and that's his main flaw. He's gonna look like a top 5 safety at times, and like a backup other times. Still, he's pretty productive, and he'd be much, much better if he were more consistent on coverage. At times, he seems to not be as focused as he should and allows some big plays that shouldn't happen.

But, if it's not for too much money, it'd be a nice signing. The fact that the Bucs want him back should tell you something.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:18 am
Rumors are swirling that the Seahawks and Lions are heavy into trade talks.

Seahawks would send LB Julian Peterson to the Lions for DT Corey Redding.

Interesting concept here. Both players make about the same money. Julian Peterson refused to restructure his contract which has probably led to this considering they are paying huge money to each of their 3 starting LB'ers and they need DL pretty badly.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:22 am
bada wrote:Rumors are swirling that the Seahawks and Lions are heavy into trade talks.

Seahawks would send LB Julian Peterson to the Lions for DT Corey Redding.

Interesting concept here. Both players make about the same money. Julian Peterson refused to restructure his contract which has probably led to this considering they are paying huge money to each of their 3 starting LB'ers and they need DL pretty badly.

I don't believe that the Seahawks are going with B.J. Raji in the first round of the draft, even tho most mocks have him as their most likely pick. I think it's between Crabtree and the tackle that falls to them between Smith and Monroe.

From that point of view, and considering they kept Hill with the franchise tag, it would make a lot of sense to trade a disgruntled LB for inside help, like Redding.

EDIT: Seems like it's a done deal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/03/14/seahawks.peterson/index.html
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board