ice ice baby

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:18 pm
every week it seems a coach is trying to ice a kicker...this has to be the most stupid move....let the players play i hate that move
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:33 pm
The Ice the Kicker phenomenon has been around for decades. However, this new hybrid of that (introduced by Shanarat Last Year against none other then the raiders) is probably worse. This lets call timeout at the last possible second... jeez

I think these guys would practice such stupidity in practice... they are professional athletes too. Coaches are morons .. and followers (see Wildcat offense 2008)
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:50 pm
yes, icing the kicker is stupid. Just gives the kicker more time to relax and focus on the mechanics.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:03 pm
simply put...icing kickers is all psychological... whether it allows the kicker to gain composer... or actually makes him really nervous. We all already know how much psychology and how the mind go hand in hand with sports. So what if they call a time out... its a tactic. Whether it works or back fires its a strategy.
THATS OUR FUTURE RIGHT THERE
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:09 pm
agreed. it is a tactic but I dont think it is a tactic that works. I remember seeing an article about 3 season ago where a study was done and kicking percentages went up after the opposing team called a timeout before the kick. It was a fairly substantial increase in %.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:46 pm
bada wrote:agreed. it is a tactic but I dont think it is a tactic that works. I remember seeing an article about 3 season ago where a study was done and kicking percentages went up after the opposing team called a timeout before the kick. It was a fairly substantial increase in %.

interesting.. i believe it too. Just the data on the last two season's alone prove it.

This season , we've seen multiple cases of the second try going in when the first one didnt. It happened last week in the Dallas v. Arizona...its that whole mentality that it worked the first time (for broncos), AND second time (for raiders that next week) so everyone thinks it will work for them, even though the numbers dont prove it. Remeber Nolan tried it last year. Haunt them. The Jets tried it, haunted them.. and those are the ones i just remember.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:01 pm
from just memory... i can just picture so many times the freezing of the kicker occurred... sometimes the coaches bluff that they are going to call it too. i definitely havent looked at statistics... but im sure from what you two are saying that statistics show a higher % of fgm after a timeout... overall hate it? no... annoying yes. Every slight edge a team can get to try to win a game so be it.
THATS OUR FUTURE RIGHT THERE
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:46 am

Get this guy on defense... thats one way to ice the kicker

Return to Sports Board