2008 MLB Postseason

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:30 pm
I have a hard time rooting for the Rays when they built the organization through the draft by sucking year in, year out and will likely let all of their talent go as soon as they get expensive. Jonny Gomes is from Petaluma and I love Rocco, but I'm cheering for the Phillies who got their without mailing it in for a decade.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:08 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:I have a hard time rooting for the Rays when they built the organization through the draft by sucking year in, year out and will likely let all of their talent go as soon as they get expensive. Jonny Gomes is from Petaluma and I love Rocco, but I'm cheering for the Phillies who got their without mailing it in for a decade.

well yes and no on the draft reasoning. they got the 1st picks cuz they did truely suck. any draft pick in baseball is not a guarantee, so its not like did this on purpose. The Rays got new ownership the last few years, so i think it was a new winning attitude that finally got them to roll. Though Crawford, Upton, Price (all first picks overall) are helpful. Think about it if they kept Josh Hamilton.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:03 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:I have a hard time rooting for the Rays when they built the organization through the draft by sucking year in, year out and will likely let all of their talent go as soon as they get expensive. Jonny Gomes is from Petaluma and I love Rocco, but I'm cheering for the Phillies who got their without mailing it in for a decade.

well yes and no on the draft reasoning. they got the 1st picks cuz they did truely suck. any draft pick in baseball is not a guarantee, so its not like did this on purpose. The Rays got new ownership the last few years, so i think it was a new winning attitude that finally got them to roll. Though Crawford, Upton, Price (all first picks overall) are helpful. Think about it if they kept Josh Hamilton.

I thought he was Cincy's property before he was a Ranger. Longoria is a hell of a ball player as well.

I'll be rooting for the Phillies, though. Gotta stick with the NL. Unless it was the Dodgers representing, of course. :wink:

BTW, since Bartlett stole a base, Taco Bell is giving free tacos from 2PM to 6PM on October 28th.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:30 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Oh, for sure, but also remember they were getting better second, third, etc etc, rounders than pretty much every other team in baseball. And I doubt this team will be together in three years when some of these studs start earning $10 million+ in arbitration.

As for the winning attitude, I'll buy into that, but they're also got a ton of excellent, young talent, playing in a league with less and less performance enhancing drugs to allow aging superstars to continue hitting deep into their 30s.

It's clear to me that baseball is changing... guys will probably have their best years from 26 or 27 to 33, and then decline. This is good news for teams with food farm systems and bad news for GMs who enjoy rebuilding through FA.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Previous

Return to Sports Board