Best memories as a sports fan

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:35 pm
With the negative feelings from last night, thought it might be good to remember more positive memories. Would be interested in hearing people’s best memories as a sports fan…

NFC Championship Game – Jan ’06 – By far my greatest experience as a sports fan. Never in my life have I felt so much tangible emotion in the air as there was in that stadium that day. People use the term “you can cut it with a knife” and this was so true of that moment. The whole experience was insane. But as the clock clicked zero to see grown men crying, strangers hugging, and people celebrating the fact that our team is going to the SB for the first time in franchise history was a very memorable experience.
    Game 3 Warriors vs Mavericks in last year’s playoffs – Wow, what a playoff drought it was. I will just remember my first step into the arena 45 minutes before game time and hearing “Lets go Warriors…Lets go Warriors…Lets go Warriors!” being chanted LOUDLY. 45 freakin minutes before game time!!! Then to enter the floor area from the tunnels and seeing a sea of YELLOW gave me goosebumps. Amazing!
    Baron Davis dunk over AK-47 Game 3 Warriors vs Jazz – The best dunk I have seen in person. Look, I am an overweight, balding white guy but I think my vertical approached Dominique Wilkins in that moment jumping out of my seat. The roar from the crowd was deafining. Great moment.
    LA Lakers 1980 Championship – Was 10 years old and was born in Los Angeles. I was immediately drawn to Magic Johnson’s game and charisma. The championship game where as a rookie he started at C and played almost every position in the game was an amazing and heroic moment for me as a young boy.
    1989 Oakland A’s sweep of the SF Giants in the World Series - Attended two games during the series and despite the tragedy of the earthquake, I was overjoyed to have “my” A’s win a world championship.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:39 pm
You've been pretty fortunate to attend a lot of those events. Just to be in the building for those games must have been amazing. I haven't been to any events like that, but i did go to a bunch of Giants games in 2002, and that was a great feeling to watch that team. I also attended the NBA allstar game in Oakland last time it was here. That was cool watching Jason Kidd throw alley oops from half court and watching shaq go coast to coast and throw down a 360 dunk
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:55 pm
Nice couple of threads, bada.

Let's start with my best three moments:

Super Bowl XXXVII, where the Bucs defeated the Raiders. For a team that had won no previous titles, that had never made a trip to the SB and that basically had no previous success, it was BIG. And the way we won that game... man. I still watch it once per year, to be honest. The NFC game against the Eagles was a much more emotional win, but I'll pick the SB, as this game gave us the championship.

The Run TMC Warriors defeat the Spurs in the first round of the 1991 NBA playoffs.- I became a fan of bball and the Dubs watching those games. 'Nuff said.

FC Barcelona winning the European Cup over Sampdoria in Wembley in 1992, with an overtime goal by Koeman. First time we won that title, the most important in soccer, after several finals losing and many more losing in the semis.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:16 pm
TMC wrote:
[list]Super Bowl XXXVII, where the Bucs defeated the Raiders. For a team that had won no previous titles, that had never made a trip to the SB and that basically had no previous success, it was BIG. And the way we won that game... man. I still watch it once per year, to be honest. The NFC game against the Eagles was a much more emotional win, but I'll pick the SB, as this game gave us the championship.

That was a great moment for me as well :)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:32 pm
bada wrote:
TMC wrote:
[list]Super Bowl XXXVII, where the Bucs defeated the Raiders. For a team that had won no previous titles, that had never made a trip to the SB and that basically had no previous success, it was BIG. And the way we won that game... man. I still watch it once per year, to be honest. The NFC game against the Eagles was a much more emotional win, but I'll pick the SB, as this game gave us the championship.

That was a great moment for me as well :)

Haha... joined by the Raiders disgrace, I see. :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:44 pm
-Brian Johnson's 12th inning HR to beat the Dodgers in 1997.

-JT's HR off of Armando "I Blow Saves" Benitez in 2002.

-TO and the 49ers beat the Packers...finally in the 1998 Playoffs

-The Warriors posting the biggest upset in NBA Playoff history (duh). I especially liked the part when Matt Barnes shat on that waste of an MVP that is Dirk Nowitzki.

-The 2007 Fiesta Bowl. I am not a Boise St fan, but that had to be one of the most exciting football games ever!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:03 pm
sleandres wrote:-The 2007 Fiesta Bowl. I am not a Boise St fan, but that had to be one of the most exciting football games ever!

Fantastic game!!!

Speaking of exciting, great football games...one of the BEST games I have ever seen was a HS game between Monta Vista HS vs San Ramon HS about 4 years ago.

Monta Vista was QB'd by Kyle Wright (Miami) and SR was QB'd by Sam Keller (Arizona St/Nebraska). The final was something like 45-42 and was back and forth. At the time, Wright was the #1 prospect in the country and was the best prep QB I have ever seen. San Ramon went up 42-38 with about 30 seconds left and damn if Kyle in 3 plays did not get MV a TD with about 3 seconds left. It was one of those "had to be there to understand" kind of games.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:36 pm
Things I saw in person:

2007 Warriors vs. Mavs, game 6:

This is probably the craziest thing I've ever been invovled in. I'm not sure if I sat down at all the entire game. It felt more like a concert than a sporting event. It was strange because although there were highs and lows within that game you could get the sense that everyone there knew something special was about to happen.

2006 A's vs. Twins, game 3:

This was the baseball equivelent of what the Warriors did, at least in the past decade. The A's had made the playoffs so many times but had never been able to get out fo the first, partly at the hands of Minnesota. Haren pitched a gem and Scutaro stepped up big as 55,000 people waved towels non stop, shaking the whole building.

Ichiro throwing out Terrence Long at 3rd base:

I was sitting in the left field bleachers for this, and had a great view. It was Ichiro's rookie season and everyone was still unsure how good he was going to be. I forget who, but someone singled to right while Long was on first and he tried to get to third on the play. Ichiro threw him out on one of the hardest throws I've ever seen. The ball left his hand about 7 feet above the ground and never rose up - it was literally like it was a laser. The entire stadium had the air sucked out of it - we were all A's fans but we knew we just saw something amazing.

Moments I saw on TV:

Baron's dunk on AK47.

Hatteberg's HR to win the 20th game in a row.

Buffalo Bills comeback against the Houston Oilers

Steve Young to TO in the 1998 playoffs
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:24 pm
Games I was out to in person:

June 10th, 1997; Marlins at Giants

Kevin Brown threw a no-hitter on my dad's birthday out at the stick. If I remember right, the only runner was Jeff Kent getting hit. We were also able to catch a foul ball from Bobby Bonilla.

Steve Young to TO in the 1998 playoffs

Crazy ass game.

NY Giants at Niners, playoffs, 2002

Coming back from 24 down at the half. Another crazy ass game.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:41 pm
wow

went to every warriors play off game last year

ok had season a's tics during both world series saw all home games
against dodgers and giants ( wish i saw the gibson run live but didnt).

saw griffey jr's first ever home run

tim browns 1000th recption night game against the jets they stopped the game to honor him and the raiders go on to win

was at the san diego super bowl for the loss ( guys truely it wasnt even a good game one of the worst super bowls in nfl history)

as a kid growing up watching the early 70's a's
Last edited by JOEL on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:46 pm
JOEL wrote: was at the san diego super bowl for the loss ( guys truely it wasnt even a good game one of the worst super bowls in nfl history)

I'm sure it looked like that in the eyes of a Raiders fan. :wink:
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:48 pm
My top experiences were

Miguel tejada mvp season

barry zito cy young season

A's 20 game win streak

golden state playoffs last year

yankees chokemin 2004

raiders 2000-2002

A's getting past the alds in 2006

giants losing 2002 world series

A's sweep the giants 1989

A's three time champion 72-74

not many of football or basketball hehe
I like pie

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:49 pm
TMC wrote:
JOEL wrote: was at the san diego super bowl for the loss ( guys truely it wasnt even a good game one of the worst super bowls in nfl history)

haha no joke tmc...did you think it was a good game...
dont get me wrong i like the bucs and gruden i even read dungies book..i dont hate any team .... :mrgreen:
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:51 pm
JOEL wrote:
TMC wrote:

dont get me wrong i like the bucs and gruden i even read dungies book..i dont hate any team .... :mrgreen:

For the Bucs, it was great.

For a neutral fan (or a Raiders fan), guess not so much. It was a rout, after all.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:52 pm
JOEL wrote:
TMC wrote:

I was diappointed with that game if rob ryan didnt ditch (offensiveline) rich gannon sucked that game gruden new our whole playbook we didnt change a thing
I like pie
Next

Return to Sports Board