NBA Free Agency.... Needs to be changed

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Should Free Agency come before the Draft?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes : 4

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:56 pm
Hey i was just thinking about the positives and negatives of changing the Free Agency of NBA from July to sometime before the NBA Draft.

I like how the NFL does with there system... Free Agency comes before the Draft, it helps solidify teams being built in Free Agency and then drafting on specific playmaking positions in the Early rounds of draft.

I'm not a big fan on the whole 'Best Player Available' drafting attitude where your team may be one key position away from making a championship run yet you go down the 'BPA' avenue and just create a logjam at a position which your currently really strong at.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:06 pm
The only time I think a team should draft the best player available is if the players left (including players that fit their positions of need) a not sure things to be good players. You have to fill your needs, like, for example, the Atlanta Hawks should have done when they drafted Marvin Williams (they should have gotten CPaul or Deron)

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:25 pm
migya wrote:The only time I think a team should draft the best player available is if the players left (including players that fit their positions of need) a not sure things to be good players. You have to fill your needs, like, for example, the Atlanta Hawks should have done when they drafted Marvin Williams (they should have gotten CPaul or Deron)

Haha i agree totally, i mean Marv Williams might just pan out but they not giving the kid any justice by drafting him to that logjam of SG/SF 6foot7 swingman.

Maybe Josh Childress, Josh Smith, Joe Johnson ect all would have benefieted from having Chris Paul as oppossed to Marvin Williams.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:14 am
That's not really a good example. Marvin wasn't the best available player. CP or Deron should have been picked above him... They just went for potential, but potential and best available player are not the same thing.

As for the topic, I like the NBA system above the NFL one. And I think the NFL should have the draft before free agency starts. The teams should be able to draft their rookies and, once the draft is over, fill their holes in free agency.

Oh, well... it may just be me.

Return to Sports Board