The All MMA Things Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3069
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: San Jose
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:28 pm
wow 8th ave with the hostility, where is this coming from?
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:53 pm
Obviously, I shouldn't of said what I said about the Koscheck fight unless you were at my house watching the fight. I said what I said because it was a running joke at the time. It was not meant to be held as the way you interpreted it... but unfortunately, it did.

I'll just leave it be, 8th ave. You have your opinion, I have mines. It is not in my interest to make this situation any worse than it could possibly get.

BTW, this is what my friend said for the real reason Daley got cut.

dana talked to him in the octagon and asked him what was up. paul said he didnt hear the bell. dana didn't like it and asked if he even wanted to be fighting in the ufc. paul shrugs his shoulders and walks away. dana saw it as unprofessional and said he'll never fight in the ufc again.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:07 am
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:08 am
The UFC sucks! Pride forever!!!

Nah, j/k but I do miss the old Pride. It's good to see Shogun, an old Pride fighter take a belt in the UFC. Igor Vov, where are you???

Igor Vovchanchyn
5'8"
230lbs
Kickboxing Record: 63 wins, 2 losses
MMA Record: 49 wins (26 by ko, 15 by sub), 10 losses, 1 draw
* I'm not 100% on this but I believe he has more MMA Grand Prix victories and titles than any fighter ever. If you haven't seen a Pride Grand Prix, and you are an MMA fan I highly recommend you see one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idtkU-aXXVU&feature=related[/youtube]
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:03 am
Would love to watch more of these but this is rediculous... UFC 113... REALLY?

Do you guys really pay $54 every couple weeks or whatever to watch this stuff?

From an outsider, seems like they would draw in more fans if they had maybe 2 or 3 HUGE pay per view cards/year and then in between featured the fights on HBO, cable, or network TV to draw people into the fighters.

The way it is set up, ONLY hard-core fans are watching that much. Now granted, there are a LOT of hard-core fans but I could never imaging paying $54 buck for yet "another" UFC night. But if I felt it was "special", and had been forming an attachment watching these fighters already, then I would no problem.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:23 am
bada wrote:Would love to watch more of these but this is rediculous... UFC 113... REALLY?

Do you guys really pay $54 every couple weeks or whatever to watch this stuff?

From an outsider, seems like they would draw in more fans if they had maybe 2 or 3 HUGE pay per view cards/year and then in between featured the fights on HBO, cable, or network TV to draw people into the fighters.

The way it is set up, ONLY hard-core fans are watching that much. Now granted, there are a LOT of hard-core fans but I could never imaging paying $54 buck for yet "another" UFC night. But if I felt it was "special", and had been forming an attachment watching these fighters already, then I would no problem.


justin.tv and bars... when there are big ones like ufc 100 we all get together at my buddy's house for a bbq... i've personally never paid for an event
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:38 am
8th ave wrote:
bada wrote:Would love to watch more of these but this is rediculous... UFC 113... REALLY?

Do you guys really pay $54 every couple weeks or whatever to watch this stuff?

From an outsider, seems like they would draw in more fans if they had maybe 2 or 3 HUGE pay per view cards/year and then in between featured the fights on HBO, cable, or network TV to draw people into the fighters.

The way it is set up, ONLY hard-core fans are watching that much. Now granted, there are a LOT of hard-core fans but I could never imaging paying $54 buck for yet "another" UFC night. But if I felt it was "special", and had been forming an attachment watching these fighters already, then I would no problem.


justin.tv and bars... when there are big ones like ufc 100 we all get together at my buddy's house for a bbq... i've personally never paid for an event


yeah, used to to that for big prize fights. But at my age with all my friends married with kids, that is tough to pull off. If I had a vested interest in some of the fighters I would be more motivated, but as it is, I only know about 2 or 3 of them so I am not compelled to watch.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:22 pm
My friends and I watch it at different houses. There are times where we'd half on it. And since we have 10-15 people watching it all in one house... it's only $5 for each person to shell out.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21443
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:23 pm
8th ave wrote:
bada wrote:Would love to watch more of these but this is rediculous... UFC 113... REALLY?

Do you guys really pay $54 every couple weeks or whatever to watch this stuff?

From an outsider, seems like they would draw in more fans if they had maybe 2 or 3 HUGE pay per view cards/year and then in between featured the fights on HBO, cable, or network TV to draw people into the fighters.

The way it is set up, ONLY hard-core fans are watching that much. Now granted, there are a LOT of hard-core fans but I could never imaging paying $54 buck for yet "another" UFC night. But if I felt it was "special", and had been forming an attachment watching these fighters already, then I would no problem.


justin.tv and bars... when there are big ones like ufc 100 we all get together at my buddy's house for a bbq... i've personally never paid for an event



I've also never paid for any event. Downloading does it well, but there are a couple of fights which show the fights for free anyway
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:46 pm
i know this is a ufc thread, but i don't think miggy would mind if i talked about mma generally... i'm just excited to watch alistair vs rogers... i don't know what their contracts look like, but it will be interesting to see them signed by ufc so that we could see how they stack up to real competition...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:06 am
8th ave wrote:i know this is a ufc thread, but i don't think miggy would mind if i talked about mma generally... i'm just excited to watch alistair vs rogers... i don't know what their contracts look like, but it will be interesting to see them signed by ufc so that we could see how they stack up to real competition...


I think everyone is waiting on the Overeem vs Fedor fight. I like Rogers, but this isn't the guy most people... or at least the people I know, wanted to see. And instead Fedor is fighting Werdum?.. I think. But that's later on.

Anyways, the fight shapes up to be good. Strikeforce still needs work, though. Their last card was a snoozefest, except for the Mayhem Miller KO. The good thing about them is that their events are free... either CBS or Showtime(if you own it). I did enjoy the Diaz fight from a couple months ago, too.

Okay, getting a little of topic of what you said. So yeah, basically Overeem/Rogers should be good, but it's not the fight I was looking for. Their contracts I'm not sure about either. But I believe Jake Shields is the only big name Strikeforce fighter that's contract is up that I know of and he's definitely going to the UFC. I know he's the champ, but his own company hardly recognizes and treats him like a champ. Dana even said it himself that'd he'd be sure to sign him. Although, adding Shields to the UFC means Anderson Silva will stay the 185... cause he has two more fights before they explore him moving up to 205... Sonnen and Belfort. And adding Shields could keep him there a fight longer.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21443
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:40 am
8th ave wrote:i know this is a ufc thread, but i don't think miggy would mind if i talked about mma generally... i'm just excited to watch alistair vs rogers... i don't know what their contracts look like, but it will be interesting to see them signed by ufc so that we could see how they stack up to real competition...



I don't own the thread buddy and you kept it in the same sport :wink:
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:12 pm
Anyone catch the fights? I missed them, but saw that Overeem won by TKO.

Btw, I propose that we change the title of this thread to MMA. I know it's mainly UFC stuff in here, but since other businesses like Strikeforce and Pride are somewhere in here... it only seems right. Just saying.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21443
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:14 pm
xbay wrote:Anyone catch the fights? I missed them, but saw that Overeem won by TKO.

Btw, I propose that we change the title of this thread to MMA. I know it's mainly UFC stuff in here, but since other businesses like Strikeforce and Pride are somewhere in here... it only seems right. Just saying.



I don't care regardless of the thread title
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:07 am
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:20 pm
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:Anyone catch the fights? I missed them, but saw that Overeem won by TKO.

Btw, I propose that we change the title of this thread to MMA. I know it's mainly UFC stuff in here, but since other businesses like Strikeforce and Pride are somewhere in here... it only seems right. Just saying.



I don't care regardless of the thread title


I like the idea of making this the all things MMA thread.
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:29 am
Who else is excited for Rampage/Evans? All the trash talking is great... it hypes up the fight even more. I'm glad to see Rampage back in the octagon.

UFC 117 news...

* Vitor Belfort will be healthy by November and ready to fight. He's scheduled to take on Anderson Silva... or I mean, the winner of Silva/Sonner after UFC 117.

* A Clay Guida/Rafael dos Anjos fight is in negotiations. dos Anjos looked good in his last bout, this should be good.

* With Cheick Kongo pulling out, Roy Nelson is stuck with no one to fight... or is he? Rumors are that the possible replacement for Kongo is none other than Junior Dos Santos. It'll be Nelson's first true test.

* Thiago Alves/Jon Fitch is being to the UFC 117 fight card.

* Dana White said that if Silva beats both Sonnen and Belfort, his Middleweight title will be vacated and he'll make a semi-permanent move to the Light Heavyweight divison. I hope he does take both out... he'll finally be in a division with strong competition.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests