The All MMA Things Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:41 am
xbay wrote:TUF 10 Finale = disappointment. Kimbo's match with Houston was extremely aggravating to watch. Houston circled around Kimbo about 8 times and NOTHING was thrown. I only remember seeing a leg kick by Houston within the first 2:50 of the first round. Kimbo landed some good licks on Houston, and when it got to the ground, it was absolutely horrific to watch. Kimbo's ground game was one of the worst I've ever seen. I knew he didn't have one, but man... I didn't know it was THAT bad. Hella tried to get Houston in a Rear Naked Choke but was not doing it right. Then the rest... I don't even know what the hell he was doing. Houston... did nothing. Not impressed at all. Both fighters were COMPLETELY exhausted at the end, which was the most hilarious part. Neither are in MMA shape.

Didn't catch Marcus Jones' fight, but I heard he lost via KO.

I thought the McSweeney/"Titties" fight was alright. The TKO was a pretty good one. Flying knee, Muai Thai clinch knee, straight right... DONE. McSweeney won that, BTW.

Big Country put the hammer down on Schaub as well. It's absolutely hilarious and disgusting looking at Nelson's boiler hanging over his shorts. I mean seriously, there's fat... and then there's FAT. And even though I'm not a huge fan of Big Country, his KO on Schaub was a good one. Just a plain right that packed a lot cause Schaub's jaw looked dislocated for a second and his expression was priceless.

I was disappointed in the Houston/Kimbo fight, because it seemed like Alexander came out scared and decided to just attack Kimbo's knee. I've seen Alexander come out and destroy opponents and that didn't look like the same guy. Kimbo got him with a couple good shots. I sorta disagree with your ground game comments. Not saying it was good, and the choke attempt was pathetic, but the fact that he maintained control on top was a good step for him. I can see the improvement. Those slams were pretty impressive too.

I watched Marcus' get knocked out, and man, did that guys potential go straight down the drain. There is a formula to beat him because he doesn't want to get hit. Meathead has some power too, and I like the post fight interview. Mitrione seems like a good dude, on the show he was made out to be a crazy idiot.

I was impressed with Roy Nelson, even if i don't like him. Schaub just got caught. The one constant throughout the show, was Roy Nelsons confidence. He didn't puff out his chest and do anything, he just felt like he was the best guy there, and he showed it saturday. Now only if Brock Lesnar could fight again, and they could go at it. I'd love to see a role reversal where Roy can't get up off his back.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:37 pm
UFC 107 just happened and BJ Penn thoroughly beat Diego Sanchez. Sanchez was seen as probably the biggest test for Penn and, I read haven't seen yet, Penn had total control of the fight, knocking Sanchez out for the first time in Sanchez's career.

Mir spanked Kongo in a surprise to me, as he knocked him to the ground with a punch and then choked him out, literally as Kongo didn't tap and so went to sleep, with a guillotine. Kongo was the far better striker, yet Mir caught him with a punch that setup the win. Mir had talked ALOT of crap about Kongo's lack of ground game leading up to the fight and Kongo was so pissed, likely leading to him being too emotional and making a mistake

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:07 pm
Yeah, Penn was awesome on Saturday. It was said to be BJ's biggest test, and he dominated him the majority of the time. Looks like we could see another Florian/Penn again as KenFlo won.

And Mir was impressive. He needed to win in impressive fashion to get back into the title race cause it looked like Velasquez was next in line.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:56 pm
Herschel Walker is making his MMA debut for Strikeforce on Showtime right now.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:19 pm
fine wrote:Herschel Walker is making his MMA debut for Strikeforce on Showtime right now.

I know nothing about his opponent but Walker completely dominated him. Man, crazy a guy 47 years old has a body like that. Crazyness.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:50 am
bada wrote:
fine wrote:Herschel Walker is making his MMA debut for Strikeforce on Showtime right now.

I know nothing about his opponent but Walker completely dominated him. Man, crazy a guy 47 years old has a body like that. Crazyness.

His opponent was crap. This match was basically a gimme, as everyone was saying. Just a warm up for Walker to see if he wants to stay, which he apparently will. I've got to say, Walker was pissing me off throughout the fight. For a first timer, I applaud him as it's very hard to come into this sport at his age having zero experience in any form of mix martial arts.

But I saw so many times where Hershel had an opportunity for an armbar, crucifix, rear naked choke. His ground game is horrible, as the only thing he was trying to do was ground and pound. Honestly, I think if Kimbo and Walker were to fight, Kimbo would win. And Kimbo is pretty bad.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:53 am
I just saw UFC 108. Daley's demolishing of Hasslett was really something. Daley is powerful for a Welterweight and though he doesn't show much else but striking, but beat many of the fighters in that division.

Evans v Thiago Silva was a good action packed match and now Evans looks like he'll get the next shot at the Light Heavyweight title after the rematch of Machida and Rua

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:57 am
xbay wrote:
bada wrote:

His opponent was crap. This match was basically a gimme, as everyone was saying. Just a warm up for Walker to see if he wants to stay, which he apparently will. I've got to say, Walker was pissing me off throughout the fight. For a first timer, I applaud him as it's very hard to come into this sport at his age having zero experience in any form of mix martial arts.

But I saw so many times where Hershel had an opportunity for an armbar, crucifix, rear naked choke. His ground game is horrible, as the only thing he was trying to do was ground and pound. Honestly, I think if Kimbo and Walker were to fight, Kimbo would win. And Kimbo is pretty bad.

man, a bit harsh xbay. Like you said, he is a first timer. I thought all things considered, he was able to get side control easily and then did a good job transitioning to mount. He completely dominated his opponent so tought to be critical fo something he did NOT do, when what he DID do was so effective.

But yeah, he is not going to look polished like most of these BJJ blackbelts.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:27 pm
bada wrote:
xbay wrote:
bada wrote:

man, a bit harsh xbay. Like you said, he is a first timer. I thought all things considered, he was able to get side control easily and then did a good job transitioning to mount. He completely dominated his opponent so tought to be critical fo something he did NOT do, when what he DID do was so effective.

But yeah, he is not going to look polished like most of these BJJ blackbelts.

Yeah, I know. It's just one of those things that make a person go, C'MON! SUBMIT HIM! YOU HAVE POSITION! I know deep down he's still learning, but the adrenaline rush wants to see some brutal knockout or crazy submission like the Manhoef/Lawler fight which Manhoef was dominating, but he left himself open for about two seconds, and he got caught real bad.

Which btw, did you catch the whole event Bada? or did you just pay attention to the Walker fight?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:43 pm
wife is recovering from injury so having to take care of her so was in an out of the fights. Pretty much only saw final two rounds of walker fight and some of the girls fighting. Not sure why, but I kind of enjoy watching the girls do MMA. Hate watching girl boxing but for some reason I am captivated by girls doing MMA.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:58 pm
bada wrote:wife is recovering from injury so having to take care of her so was in an out of the fights. Pretty much only saw final two rounds of walker fight and some of the girls fighting. Not sure why, but I kind of enjoy watching the girls do MMA. Hate watching girl boxing but for some reason I am captivated by girls doing MMA.

Yeah, Cyborg is real impressive. I'd be scared to fight her. Although, I wouldn't mind fighting Gina Carano. She doesn't look so manly as Cyborg.

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:14 pm
This fight was crazy. Check it out. It's the Robbie Lawler/Melvin Manhoef fight. Manhoef is dominating, basically taking Lawler's right leg out and just punching him like there's no tomorrow and hitting. But one mistake and...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOBfyv9-Vv0[/youtube]
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:48 pm
Last weekend, Couture destroyed Coleman... likely ending his career and Sonnen upset Marquardt.

UFC 112 was suppose to have Belfort/Silva, but Belfort got injured and Damian Maia is his replacement.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:40 pm
xbay wrote:Last weekend, Couture destroyed Coleman... likely ending his career and Sonnen upset Marquardt.

UFC 112 was suppose to have Belfort/Silva, but Belfort got injured and Damian Maia is his replacement.

UFC 109 also had Maia win. I haven't seen it yet, but am going to have it in a few days.

Maia is real good, but after getting beaten by Marquardt in his previous fight in about 20secs, he really doesn't deserve the title shot. If Sonnen, who has just been the biggest surprise the last year, can get ready for ASilva, he should get the title shot. Real surprise that Sonnen beat Marquardt, I thought Marquardt was going to go against Silva again and have a pretty good chance, though still lose.

Welterweight divsion is interesting with the #1 contender being decided by the rematch between Alves and Fitch. That should be a real good fight and I think Alves might avenge his only other loss in the UFC from a few years ago against Fitch. St. Pierre should destroy Hardy and then beat whoever wins out of Alves and Fitch.

ASilva and St. Pierre really look unbeatable in their divisions and I'd really like to see those two against each other in a catchweight fight at about 180 pounds, no title on the line, just a fight to see who wins

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:06 pm
True, but I think a month is too soon for Sonnen. He'll get his chance. No need to rush... unless he TRULY believes he'll be ready. But it's whatever now, cause Maia was named the replacement. Which sucks, because now the fight is going to be lopsided.

Alves and Fitch should be a good match, though. It's just sad that no matter who wins, GSP will retain his title after anyway. I really hope Hardy beats GSP, as that'd be the biggest upset we've had in a while. But we both know the likelihood of that happening is small.

Everyone's been saying it for a while now... Silva/GSP is a match that must be done.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board