Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:34 am
Quazza wrote:UFC 106: Carwin v Lesnar
Image v Image

Bit of a joke really....

Dan White CEO of the UFC says Fedor is dodging "top competition" by not signing exclusively to the UFC...

So OK... The UFC HW Champ, has a record of 3 - 1 and the top contender/challenger Carwin has a 11 - 0 record. (All his opponents were totally ****, only 3 of the 11 still have contracts with the UFC. He's only beaten ONE top flight heavyweight and that was one punch that was against the flow of play really)

And this amounts to Fedor ducking "top competition"? LOL

all the best to Carwin. Let's hope he has life insurance

Haven't seen Carwin much, really just against Gonzaga and that punch, though powerful, was somewhat lucky. He could surprise against Lesnar, as he is big himself at about 255 pounds.

I'd like to see Gonzaga go against Lesnar and that might happen if Gonzaga wins one more fight, maybe two more. He has the size and the allround skills to be considered the best challenger. I'd like to see him against Nogueira to see how good he really is, as that would confirm he is the top contender

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:32 pm
xbay wrote:So I was watching that Andres Torres fella on WEC. They list him high on the pound-for-pound chart... like top 5 high. His record was impressive... 36-1. Though it kinda discouraged me to see he was only a bantaweight. Then, he was decent in his fight against this Brian Bower or whatever his name was fella, but then he got completely owned in the end with one to the jaw and a complete annihilation on the ground and pound to lose his bantaweight title.

Anyone seen this Torres fella? Obviously, he's had his better days, but this was my first time seeing him, and well... my first impressions were negative towards him.

Before Bowles, he reminded me a lot of a very active Anderson Silva that was always out for blood. Creative striking and aggresive jiu-jitsu. He always has faced paced, stand toe to toe, scrambling kind of fights. He definitely deserved the top 5 ranking, considering the excitement level mixed with his impressive record.

But yeah. Bowles connected on him a couple of times, then forced the stoppage. Bowles looked so good that in a rematch, I'd pick him as the favorite.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:40 pm
migya wrote:
Image v Image

Bit of a joke really....

Dan White CEO of the UFC says Fedor is dodging "top competition" by not signing exclusively to the UFC...

So OK... The UFC HW Champ, has a record of 3 - 1 and the top contender/challenger Carwin has a 11 - 0 record. (All his opponents were totally ****, only 3 of the 11 still have contracts with the UFC. He's only beaten ONE top flight heavyweight and that was one punch that was against the flow of play really)

Haven't seen Carwin much, really just against Gonzaga and that punch, though powerful, was somewhat lucky. He could surprise against Lesnar, as he is big himself at about 255 pounds.

I'd like to see Gonzaga go against Lesnar and that might happen if Gonzaga wins one more fight, maybe two more. He has the size and the allround skills to be considered the best challenger. I'd like to see him against Nogueira to see how good he really is, as that would confirm he is the top contender

Carwin definitely doesn't deserve the title of 'top contender'. UFC knows that any fight that includes Brock is going to bring in big $, so why waste time trying to line-up the heavyweight contenders. It was a toss up between Carwin and Cain (only guys coming off wins) and they probably went with the guy more likely to lose.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:20 pm
fine wrote:
migya wrote:
Image v Image

Bit of a joke really....

Carwin definitely doesn't deserve the title of 'top contender'. UFC knows that any fight that includes Brock is going to bring in big $, so why waste time trying to line-up the heavyweight contenders. It was a toss up between Carwin and Cain (only guys coming off wins) and they probably went with the guy more likely to lose.

I agree, they went with Carwin as he is more likely to not give Lesnar as much of a fight as Cain, but Carwin is undefeated and beat Gonzaga, a top Heavyweight and that means alot. Money wise, Lesnar as champion for another half year at least means more exposure and money for the UFC, a best thing for them. I do think they'll throw the best heavyweights at Lesnar from now on, guys like Gonzaga, Nogueira, maybe even Cro Cop (if he starts winning again)

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:21 am
Anyone see Nog beat Couture. Nice fight, Nog looked close to his best and at his best he can take on anyone. Lesnar would have to watch for the submissions even more than against Mir.

Penn v Diego Sanchez seems to be next Lightweight title bout and likely soon. Be a good matchup, as Sanchez is allround and has good hands too.

Nate Marquardt knocking out Maia in some twenty seconds was a surprise and he now likely faces Dan Henderson to see who faces Anderson Silva, whose out until February apparently Should be a good matchup between those two.

Franklin v Belfort might be good, but I haven't seen Belfort fight in over three years

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:51 am
UFC 103 happened a few hours ago. Vitor Belfort returned after over four years since last fighting in the UFC and he beat the elite fighter Rich Frankiln early in the first round with his customary quick and powerful hands. Franklin has rarely lost in his career and Belfort just shot himself to near the top of the middle weight division, as that is where he he now wants to fight as, after being a Heavy weight and Lightheavy weight the rest of his career.

Koscheck shot himself back to near the top of the Welter weight division, knocking out the returning Frank Trigg early in the first round. Trigg is 37 years old an is likely heading for retirement. Koscheck said after the fight that he would go against St. Pierre for the title, but wanted to go against Matt Hughes, a fight I've wanted to see for over half a year now, as both were great college wrestlers and would likely matchup real well.

Mirko Cro Cop is likely heading for retirement as well, after losing to Dos Santos in the third round. Dos Santos looks like contender material and likely will have to win two more straight fights to have a shot at the Heavy weight title, as Carwin faces Lesnar next, then likely Nog, then likely Valesquez, if he wins one more without losing

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:29 pm
From what I've read, UFC 103 was a disappointment. Not many good fights.

But hey, mig or anyone else... anyone catch the first episode of TUF? I've got to admit, Rampage's team looks weak, or at least... Rashad's team looks better.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:35 pm
is this the one Kimbo Slice is in?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:46 pm
Yes sir.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:55 pm
wonder how many times he'll get knocked out lol
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:53 am
xbay wrote:From what I've read, UFC 103 was a disappointment. Not many good fights.

But hey, mig or anyone else... anyone catch the first episode of TUF? I've got to admit, Rampage's team looks weak, or at least... Rashad's team looks better.

I don't get acces to TUF, so keep me posted in this thread if you like.

I have seen Belfort v Franklin and Koscheck v Trigg (both quick fights) and liked it, both good knockouts. Haven't seen the rest, but will soon. That card looked decent enough so should have been alright at least

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:16 pm
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:From what I've read, UFC 103 was a disappointment. Not many good fights.

I have seen Belfort v Franklin and Koscheck v Trigg (both quick fights) and liked it, both good knockouts. Haven't seen the rest, but will soon. That card looked decent enough so should have been alright at least

I heard Belfort may be interested in fighting Anderson Silva despite them being good friends. He said if Dana White wanted him to do it, he would since he views the UFC as a business and would do anything to help it.

I've been pulling for Koscheck to pick it up. If there's one welterweight I'm waiting for to take out GSP, it's Koscheck, but GSP seems too good at the moment.

And will do on TUF.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:20 pm
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:

I heard Belfort may be interested in fighting Anderson Silva despite them being good friends. He said if Dana White wanted him to do it, he would since he views the UFC as a business and would do anything to help it.

I've been pulling for Koscheck to pick it up. If there's one welterweight I'm waiting for to take out GSP, it's Koscheck, but GSP seems too good at the moment.

And will do on TUF.

UFC needs someone to go against Anderson Silva, someone he hasn't faced before. I reckon he'll give up the Middle weight title in about a year and go LightHeavy weight full time, though I think he could leave an absolute legacy winning another five fights at middle weight undefeated, then go Lightheavy weight full time.

GSP fought and beat Koscheck about two years ago, at UFC 74. A rematch would be good, but really I don't see anyone being able to beat GSP right now. He should fight at middle weight and go against Anderson Silva. That could be the greatest fight in UFC history, as both fighters are top in the world MMA rankings

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:20 am
Couple notes...

1) UFC 108, Jan. 2, 2010. Anderson Silva will defend his Middleweight crown against Belfort.

2) Rampage has "retired" from the UFC after he and Dana White could not get along and he got fed up. There's more to the story than that, though.

Also, TUF update for migya...

The fight last week was actually pretty sorry to watch. Both fighters were real tired, but the ex-NFL player, Wes Shivers who had around a 4 inch height and 5 1/2 inch reach advantage was even more fatigued as he just stood there trying to catch his breath. James McSweeney, Evans' first pick, did not take advantage of Shivers, as he was fatigued himself. The match was pretty boring, and the most intense part of the fight was hearing Rashad repeatedly screaming at his guy to take advantage. The match was real close, but McSweeney won unanimously.

Rampage's team has lost to the first two bouts(both Wagner and Shivers are eliminated), so Rashad got to choose the next fight. And he chose his "uncoachable" fighter, Roy, to fight Kimbo.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:52 am
xbay wrote:Couple notes...

1) UFC 108, Jan. 2, 2010. Anderson Silva will defend his Middleweight crown against Belfort.

2) Rampage has "retired" from the UFC after he and Dana White could not get along and he got fed up. There's more to the story than that, though.

Also, TUF update for migya...

The fight last week was actually pretty sorry to watch. Both fighters were real tired, but the ex-NFL player, Wes Shivers who had around a 4 inch height and 5 1/2 inch reach advantage was even more fatigued as he just stood there trying to catch his breath. James McSweeney, Evans' first pick, did not take advantage of Shivers, as he was fatigued himself. The match was pretty boring, and the most intense part of the fight was hearing Rashad repeatedly screaming at his guy to take advantage. The match was real close, but McSweeney won unanimously.

Rampage's team has lost to the first two bouts(both Wagner and Shivers are eliminated), so Rashad got to choose the next fight. And he chose his "uncoachable" fighter, Roy, to fight Kimbo.

Dan Henderson will be pissed that he is not next to fight for the middle weight title, real pissed

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board