The All MMA Things Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:38 am
Quazza wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:which is why people feel UFC fighters should have more respect, which most of them do. However people see Lesnar and that's the impression they get about MMA as a whole. MMA is a brutal sport, but you know what, boxing is too and it's called the sweet science. Fans of the sport can understand the nuances that are going on. When they see hendo knock out bisping, they don't think about the timing and the set up involved in creating a knockout, however in boxing it is much more highly thought of.

that's all fairly presumptious. how do you know "they" don't think about the set up. All the MMA fans I know are right into that side that of the fights

I'm talking about non MMA fights that see the fights as just brutality. Sorry if i wasn't clear.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:57 pm
I knew Silva was going to win, but damn... he made Griffin look silly. He dominated the whole round. Griffin kept throwing and missing. And I couldn't stop laughing once Silva told Griffin to step it up. He kept playing around with Forrest until the knockout. Anderson is a beast, I really hope he's there to stay in the light heavyweight. I'd love to see him fight Machida, Evans, and Rampage.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:42 pm
he made Forest look second rate!
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:02 am
Quazza wrote:he made Forest look second rate!

it was a terrible fight, I realize, it was only because Forrest was so overmatched, but it was awful.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:34 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
Quazza wrote:he made Forest look second rate!

it was a terrible fight, I realize, it was only because Forrest was so overmatched, but it was awful.

but i think that's what made it so good. Forrest is a proven fighter and a very good one-and Silva destroyed him

Made you really think "Holy fkn shit-wow"
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:33 pm
xbay wrote:I knew Silva was going to win, but damn... he made Griffin look silly. He dominated the whole round. Griffin kept throwing and missing. And I couldn't stop laughing once Silva told Griffin to step it up. He kept playing around with Forrest until the knockout. Anderson is a beast, I really hope he's there to stay in the light heavyweight. I'd love to see him fight Machida, Evans, and Rampage.

Anderson Silva is a man that is very in touch with himself and doesn't worry about anyone else but what he is thinking and doing. The way he fought and beat Forrest Griffin, the former lightheavy weight champion just half a year ago or so, was probably the most dominant I've ever seen. The end of that fight, Silva acted like he just couldn't be beaten, with his hands down, moving easily out of the way of any attempt by Griffin and then knocking down Griffin and finishing the fight with a little punch. That punch looked nothing more than a closed fist bitch slap, just a little punch that was full of electricity or some sort of energy. He just hit him with a small punch and Griffin fell right to the floor. Just a showing of an individual that is inlike anyone else currently in the UFC and anyone ever actually.

Liddell, with the way he knocked out a few guys with little punches, is the only other comparison to Anderson Silva and it is only a slight comparison.

Anderson Silva could become the first man ever to hold two championships at the same time and should be given the opportunity to do so. Machida is his training teammate, so as long as Machida is lightheavy weight champion (which could be a long time) Silva won't be the champion, because he won't fight him

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:15 pm
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:I knew Silva was going to win, but damn... he made Griffin look silly. He dominated the whole round. Griffin kept throwing and missing. And I couldn't stop laughing once Silva told Griffin to step it up. He kept playing around with Forrest until the knockout. Anderson is a beast, I really hope he's there to stay in the light heavyweight. I'd love to see him fight Machida, Evans, and Rampage.

Anderson Silva is a man that is very in touch with himself and doesn't worry about anyone else but what he is thinking and doing. The way he fought and beat Forrest Griffin, the former lightheavy weight champion just half a year ago or so, was probably the most dominant I've ever seen. The end of that fight, Silva acted like he just couldn't be beaten, with his hands down, moving easily out of the way of any attempt by Griffin and then knocking down Griffin and finishing the fight with a little punch. That punch looked nothing more than a closed fist bitch slap, just a little punch that was full of electricity or some sort of energy. He just hit him with a small punch and Griffin fell right to the floor. Just a showing of an individual that is inlike anyone else currently in the UFC and anyone ever actually.

Liddell, with the way he knocked out a few guys with little punches, is the only other comparison to Anderson Silva and it is only a slight comparison.

Anderson Silva could become the first man ever to hold two championships at the same time and should be given the opportunity to do so. Machida is his training teammate, so as long as Machida is lightheavy weight champion (which could be a long time) Silva won't be the champion, because he won't fight him

I don't really like Griffin, though. He doesn't seem to have a style. It's a simple hit or miss punch and what not. He's talented, but I think he's pretty overrated from a certain standpoint.

Still, I would love to see Silva face Machida. That would be awesome. He'd have to climb up the rankings in the light heavyweight division, but to be honest, I don't think anyone in the division can stop The Spider except possibly Machida.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:13 am
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:

I don't really like Griffin, though. He doesn't seem to have a style. It's a simple hit or miss punch and what not. He's talented, but I think he's pretty overrated from a certain standpoint.

Still, I would love to see Silva face Machida. That would be awesome. He'd have to climb up the rankings in the light heavyweight division, but to be honest, I don't think anyone in the division can stop The Spider except possibly Machida.

I agree that only Machida, another fighter with high level self awareness/inner power, could beat him.

I'd like to see St. Pierre go against Silva at Middle weight level, that would be a real showing of what both guys really are like

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:34 am
while clearly a little punch (i mean, ****, he was walking backwards lol) he'd hurt Griffin a fair bit before that
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:04 am
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:

I agree that only Machida, another fighter with high level self awareness/inner power, could beat him.

I'd like to see St. Pierre go against Silva at Middle weight level, that would be a real showing of what both guys really are like

I think if anything was proven with the Griffin fight was that Silva was fighting in the wrong weight class. He should be at 205, not 185.

I agree, though. A GSP/Silva fight would be great. GSP even said he would love to fight Silva, he just needs time to put on weight and what not to fight him.

Also, if Machida loses against Rua, which he shouldn't, then Shogun will be in a rude awakening against most likely Silva. Because I doubt Silva defends his middleweight title until Henderson faces the winner of Marquardt/Maia.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:11 pm
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:

I think if anything was proven with the Griffin fight was that Silva was fighting in the wrong weight class. He should be at 205, not 185.

I agree, though. A GSP/Silva fight would be great. GSP even said he would love to fight Silva, he just needs time to put on weight and what not to fight him.

Also, if Machida loses against Rua, which he shouldn't, then Shogun will be in a rude awakening against most likely Silva. Because I doubt Silva defends his middleweight title until Henderson faces the winner of Marquardt/Maia.

St. Pierre walks around at about 190 pounds, so he could fight at middle weight quite easily.

If Rua beats Machida, UFC would be smart to give Anderson Silva the title shot against him, as he could make history.

I think Silva should have to defend his middle weight title soon, like in two months, as it has been some three months alreay since he beat Leites and each champion tends to defend their title and fight three times a year. Henderson beat Bisping, so he is next to have a title shot against Silva.I think Maia is the one that could possibly beat Silva, as his BJJ is unmatched, going by his fights so far, as he has submitted every opponent and quickly too

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:54 pm
So I was watching that Andres Torres fella on WEC. They list him high on the pound-for-pound chart... like top 5 high. His record was impressive... 36-1. Though it kinda discouraged me to see he was only a bantaweight. Then, he was decent in his fight against this Brian Bower or whatever his name was fella, but then he got completely owned in the end with one to the jaw and a complete annihilation on the ground and pound to lose his bantaweight title.

Anyone seen this Torres fella? Obviously, he's had his better days, but this was my first time seeing him, and well... my first impressions were negative towards him.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:16 pm
UFC 106: Carwin v Lesnar
Image v Image

Bit of a joke really....

Dan White CEO of the UFC says Fedor is dodging "top competition" by not signing exclusively to the UFC...

So OK... The UFC HW Champ, has a record of 3 - 1 and the top contender/challenger Carwin has a 11 - 0 record. (All his opponents were totally ****, only 3 of the 11 still have contracts with the UFC. He's only beaten ONE top flight heavyweight and that was one punch that was against the flow of play really)

And this amounts to Fedor ducking "top competition"? LOL

all the best to Carwin. Let's hope he has life insurance
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:59 pm
arianny is a fuking bomb shell...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:31 pm
8th ave wrote:arianny is a fuking bomb shell...

No kidding...
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board