SF Giants Hot Stove Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:14 pm
ok so, we offered feliz arbitration, in hopes that he signs as a free agent somewhere else, so we can at least get a pick. personally, im praying he doesnt accept the 1 year. i cant stand his situational hitting or his double plays.

the winter meetings start tomorrow, and i think the giants will make some noise in the next few days either via trade or free agent.

i want to know why delmon young is not wearing orange and black right now, he was available and minnesota didnt give up too much either. what about lastings milledge? the mets got ryan church and ryan scnieder for him for crying out loud! we NEVER trade for young position talent and it drives me nuts.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:00 pm
Feliz is the best option that we have. He is a great fielder with an awesome glove, with some pop. He is, unfairly, the scapegoat of the team. As much as I blast him, he is a good player. His double plays do get old, though.

As for Milledge, I dont like him. He is like that spoiled brat that never does anything right, yet still wants everything given to him.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:18 pm
Not much to say here. I don't expect the Giants to do much this off-season. I hope they do, but I'm beginning to think we won't see major changes. They need to develop some talent if they're going to get better.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:46 pm
****ing Andruw Jones chose the Dodgers over us...and we offered him a 4 year deal, not a 2 year....oh well, hopefully his career will continue downward as he had a terrible year last season....What do you guys think about trading Lincicum for Alex Rios?!?!? Im hesitant but not completely opposed....I also heard we might trade Sanchez or Lowry for Hideki Matsui, Im not so fond of this idea but we'll see what happens...
I have seen the 49ers win a Superbowl. I have now seen the Giants win a world series. I need one more championship in my lifetime to make my life complete...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:28 pm
nickdakoolkat wrote:What do you guys think about trading Lincicum for Alex Rios?!?!? Im hesitant but not completely opposed....I also heard we might trade Sanchez or Lowry for Hideki Matsui, Im not so fond of this idea but we'll see what happens...

Thank God we didnt sign Jones for that much money. We are better of without him. Play the kids. Get Lewis, Ortmeier, and Davis some serious playing time, and let them duke it out to see who gets the nod as the starter.

As for Rios, as I said in another thread, I dont like the idea of trading Lincecum. I would want a superstar for him, if they were to trade him at all, and Rios, by no means, is a superstar.

With Matsui, that trade intrigues me. He is a guy that can help the team right away, and you dont need to trade one of the young studs. Let them take Lowry, and get the kids in there to fight for the fifth starter spot.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:19 am
nickdakoolkat wrote:****ing Andruw Jones chose the Dodgers over us...and we offered him a 4 year deal, not a 2 year

We should start a list of FAs who have spurned the Giants and signed with other teams for the same or less money:

1. Carlos Lee
2. Gary Matthews Jr.
3. Audruw Jones

So far my theory that the Giants will only sign a big FA if they overpay them seems to be holding up. One of the best ballparks in the country, a chance to live and play in the beautiful city of San Francisco, yet we're not getting these guys to sign on the line and come play for us.

What sucks the most is I don't even like any of the above guys. And they're still turning us down.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:05 am
One thing that we dont even realize is how many more players the Giants could have been after, but missed out on, just based on the situation of the team. I would be willing to bet that the Giants are in fact pursuing guys, but no one will come here. I dont blame them. I wouldnt either, if I could go to a team without as much disarray.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:22 am
I certainly didn't want to give fat ass Carlos Lee, or Mediocre Gary Mathews Jr. 100+ mil dollars....but we gotta get somes sort of help witht the bats!!!! How much longer til Nikoli Bonds is old enough to play in the majors?!?!?!

I am still pissed we didn't bust ass to get Vlad a few years back...him and Bonds would have been awesome to have in the middle of our lineup....
I have seen the 49ers win a Superbowl. I have now seen the Giants win a world series. I need one more championship in my lifetime to make my life complete...
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:23 am
nickdakoolkat wrote:I certainly didn't want to give fat ass Carlos Lee, or Mediocre Gary Mathews Jr. 100+ mil dollars....but we gotta get somes sort of help witht the bats!!!! How much longer til Nikoli Bonds is old enough to play in the majors?!?!?!

I am still pissed we didn't bust ass to get Vlad a few years back...him and Bonds would have been awesome to have in the middle of our lineup....

Yeah...didn't they decide to to get Jose Cruz Jr instead...great idea

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:48 pm
Perhaps Brandon Inge for our Giants? A two-year deal?

His numbers, quite frankly, suck. His .236 BA is horrible, his .312 OBP is pretty bad (not as bad as Feliz, though), his .376 slugging is also pretty low... I'm already talking myself out of him.

This is just one example of my overall point that you can't rebuild an offense without good signings or player development. Giants are in big trouble for 2008.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:46 pm
Giants are currently listed as interested by ESPN. Take that for what it's worth.

Fukudome: Japan or MLB?
Kosuke Fukudome | Interested: Padres? White Sox? Cubs?
Free-agent outfielder Kosuke Fukudome plans to announce late Monday night (U.S. time) whether he will play in Japan in 2008 or pursue one of several offers from major league clubs, his agent told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

The Nikkansports newspaper reported Saturday that Fukudome has turned down a lucrative multiyear offer from the Tokyo Yomiuri Giants and will play in America next season. But agent Joe Urbon said the report was premature, and that Fukudome is still conferring with his family in Nagoya, Japan, in anticipation of his decision.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:50 pm
The latest on Matsui coming to SF.

Matsui to San Francisco?
Hideki Matsui | Yankees | Interested: Giants?
The Giants and Yankees still have a long ways to go before they could finish off a trade that would send Hideki Matsui to the Giants, but the teams continue to talk, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports.

The two sides appear to be building momentum toward a deal, according to baseball officials who have been in touch with both clubs.

One source said the Giants "really want to do this" if the teams can settle on the players. The Yankees have rejected an offer of Matsui for starter Noah Lowry. But they've targeted pitcher Jonathan Sanchez. And one baseball man with knowledge of the discussions said the teams would like to "build the deal around Sanchez and go from there."

The Giants, meanwhile, have swatted away all efforts by the Yankees to obtain Tim Lincecum or Matt Cain.

It still isn't known if Matsui would waive his full no-trade clause to accept a trade to the Giants.

Lincecum or Cain? LAUGH. Godzilla is awesome when he's healthy, which is only about half the time. I'd still take him, but not for any major prospect.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:12 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:Perhaps Brandon Inge for our Giants? A two-year deal?

His numbers, quite frankly, suck. His .236 BA is horrible, his .312 OBP is pretty bad (not as bad as Feliz, though), his .376 slugging is also pretty low... I'm already talking myself out of him.

This is just one example of my overall point that you can't rebuild an offense without good signings or player development. Giants are in big trouble for 2008.

Wait, are you proposing that they go after him or they are actually going after him? I really dont like him. I would rather they play Frandsen full time somewhere, be it first, second, third, the outfield, or catcher, but play him consistantly. I would assume that he is the next guy on their list if Feliz is gone.

I also heard that they are going after Rolen pretty good. I would like him, as long as St Louis takes part of his salary.

Lastly, I heard that the Giants would be willing to take the Lincecum trade only if they could take Dontrelle Willis away from the Tigers.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:28 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Wait, are you proposing that they go after him or they are actually going after him? I really dont like him. I would rather they play Frandsen full time somewhere, be it first, second, third, the outfield, or catcher, but play him consistantly. I would assume that he is the next guy on their list if Feliz is gone.

I also heard that they are going after Rolen pretty good. I would like him, as long as St Louis takes part of his salary.

Lastly, I heard that the Giants would be willing to take the Lincecum trade only if they could take Dontrelle Willis away from the Tigers.

I haven't read that they're after him. I was just posting about him because he's available (proably for next to nothing) and the Giants need offensive help in the biggest way.

As for Frandsen, the Giants have what, 4,000+ ABs next year to fill. There should be enough for everyone. My guess is the Giants will be playing in a ton of garbage games that mean absolutely nothing, so you may as well give a guy like Frandsen all the ABs he needs to prove himself a MLB caliber guy or a career minor leaguer.

And Lincecum for Willis would kill me far more than Lincecum for Alex Rios. I'm convinced Willis will never be an ace in this league.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:55 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

And Lincecum for Willis would kill me far more than Lincecum for Alex Rios. I'm convinced Willis will never be an ace in this league.

Oh, no, no, no! You misread me, or I misposted this, as something got lost in translation. The Giants will only trade for Rios if they can get Willis in addition to, not instead of.

I will put this visual terms (hypothetically, this would make sense for all three sides.)

Giants trade:
Tim Lincecum
Jonathan Sanchez
Brian Wilson

Blue Jays trade:
Alex Rios

Tigers trade:
Dontrelle Willis

Giants recieve:
Alex Rios
Dontrelle Willis

Blue Jays recieve: