Dun Shula and '72 Fins rip 2007 Pats. Surprise, surprise!

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will the pats go 19-0?

Yes, and the '72 Fins will fade away.
25%
Nope, Fin's will retain their claim to fame for yet another season.
75%

Total votes : 4

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:49 am
Taken from http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/06/don-shula-on-patriots-the-spygate-thing-has-diminished-what-th/
"The Spygate thing has diminished what they've accomplished. You would hate to have that attached to your accomplishments. They've got it," Shula told the Daily News yesterday. "Belichick was fined $500,000, the team was fined $250,00 and they lost a first-round draft choice. That tells you the seriousness or significance of what they found.

"I guess you got the same thing as putting an asterisk by Barry Bonds' home run record. I guess it will be noted that the Patriots were fined and a No.1 draft choice was taken away during that year of accomplishment. The sad thing is Tom Brady looks so good, it doesn't look like he needs any help."

I guess today on the Jungle with Jim Rome he continued to rip the pats even worse - I didn't hear what he said, but I can speculate based on the responses Rome and his listeners had.

Now I am anything but a Pats fan, in fact I hate every sports organization in the Boston/New England area - but one thing I hate more is year after year, hearing about these bitter old men clinging on to an achievement that was accomplished over 35 years ago, in a world that has completely passed them by, and once the pats break this record, will virtually forget.

Not to say I don't have respect for the 72 fins' accomplishment, but for the men that annually sweat buckets until the final unbeaten team looses, I have lost complete respect. I have never heard of any person or team so protective over a record before, at least not as publicly as this team. If or when the record is broken, will they hide in their new found irrelevance and drift off into sports oblivion? Or will they do the right thing and congratulate the record breaker? My guess is a combination of the two.

As a Pats hater I almost hope than the Pats do go 19-0 and the Fins go 0-16, just so I could quit hearing about the 72 fish! Seriously rub it in their faces, and then maybe they'll learn not to live vicariously through a record set 35 years ago.

And if Shula didn't want the record to be broken, than he shouldn't have said what he did...I mean does Bill Belichick really need any more encouragement to run up the scores? To humiliate his opponents until the last second(s) of the last game(s) (regular and post seasons)? Well regardless of whether he needed the added incentive, he got it! Thanks Don! :banghead:

And If the Pats do go 19-0 in this era of pro football, it will be astronomically more impressive than the measly 14-0 the Fins did in a 10 game regular season. Hell, the '05 Colts and '98 Broncos both went 13-0 through week 14.

For a second, just imagine the 72 Fins VS the 07 Pats... The pats would likely make the Fins look like a DIV. I HS JV squad - or any team of that era for that matter.

Look '72 Fins, just quit embarrassing yourselves by sounding like the old, bitter and over the hill men you likely are, quit pooping the champagne bottles, because you have given yourselves enough pats on the back- because these Pats will give you (or take) something you'll never forget and that will eventually make others forget you!
Last edited by JREED on Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:16 pm
I want to see that kind of celebration on a 0-16 team. It'd be funny to see a bunch of old men pooping champagne year after year because they were the only team to remain winless in league's history.

I wonder if the '72 Dolphins would keep doing it after that mockery. :mrgreen:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:32 pm
TMC wrote:I want to see that kind of celebration on a 0-16 team. It'd be funny to see a bunch of old men pooping champagne year after year because they were the only team to remain winless in league's history.

I wonder if the '72 Dolphins would keep doing it after that mockery. :mrgreen:
I wouldn't be surprised to see them cling to any kind of record after what i have seen them do in recent years. If the Pats do it then we'll be hear about how they were the only team to do it with a no. 1 rank O and D - anything to keep that flame burning.

Who thinks the pats can go 19-0? I do, and after the colts game, have to believe they will.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:38 pm
JReed23 wrote:Who thinks the pats can go 19-0? I do, and after the colts game, have to believe they will.

I don't, but only because I'm sure they'll have 2 or 3 weeks to "rest" (playing meaningless games) before the playoffs and won't play at full steam to avoid injuries.

I think they'll lose 1 or 2, not more... although I haven't checked their schedule. If they don't have tough rivals in those final weeks, they might go undefeated all the way.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:19 pm
TMC wrote:
JReed23 wrote:Who thinks the pats can go 19-0? I do, and after the colts game, have to believe they will.

I don't, but only because I'm sure they'll have 2 or 3 weeks to "rest" (playing meaningless games) before the playoffs and won't play at full steam to avoid injuries.

I think they'll lose 1 or 2, not more... although I haven't checked their schedule. If they don't have tough rivals in those final weeks, they might go undefeated all the way.
We've all seen what they do in 4th quarters in blowout games, who's to say they wont do the same in the final 1-3 games? I bet they don't change much in the final weeks of the regular season, the hoody is a different kind of coach.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:30 pm
JReed23 wrote:We've all seen what they do in 4th quarters in blowout games, who's to say they wont do the same in the final 1-3 games? I bet they don't change much in the final weeks of the regular season, the hoody is a different kind of coach.

Yeah, I remember them running the score against the Redskins, but I doubt they'll keep doing it for the final games. Losing Brady in a meaningless game might ruing their season, for example.

Maybe I'm wrong, tho, but if you stay undefeated the whole season and lose in the playoffs, nobody will remember you as a great team, more like a total disappointment. I doubt Belichick is going to risk that.

Edit: I've checked the rest of their schedule. If they don't lose against the Steelers (at Foxborough), they might win every single game in the regular season. Their last 4 rivals are Steelers, Jets and Dolphins (all at home) and on the road against the Giants.

Is there a way I can change my vote? :wink:

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:58 pm
i think the poll is incomplete...even if the pats or anyother team in the future goes undefeated, the perfect 72 dolphins will never go away...that was a legandary team
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:06 pm
They'll never go away.

Not because they are a legendary team, but because they are a group of cocky, pompous old men who cling onto a single season and marvel in the downfall of other great teams. It would be okay if they didn't get together like a group of dopes and pop champagne everytime Indy or the Pats lose in week 10. If they just acting like men then everyone would be against the Pats but I am kind of hoping they run the table just to shove a 19-0 stick up the rears of the '72 fins.

But with that said - Rome has it right when he notes a 0-16 "dream season" Dolphins team this year negates the accomplishments of the '72 squad.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:12 pm
Ah, I'd take any Steelers Superbowl teams (maybe not the '05-'06 Steelers) over today's Patriots and the '72 Dolphins.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:15 pm
They will go undefeated in the regular season, then get beat by someone in the playoffs, possibly the Colts.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:10 pm
TMC wrote:Yeah, I remember them running the score against the Redskins, but I doubt they'll keep doing it for the final games. Losing Brady in a meaningless game might ruing their season, for example.
I wouldn't be to worried about loosing brady based on that OLine's play. I'm too lazy to dig for the stats but I'm willing to bet he is close to being the least sacked qb, if not the very least.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:11 pm
Thunder wrote:They'll never go away.

Not because they are a legendary team, but because they are a group of cocky, pompous old men who cling onto a single season and marvel in the downfall of other great teams. It would be okay if they didn't get together like a group of dopes and pop champagne everytime Indy or the Pats lose in week 10. If they just acting like men then everyone would be against the Pats but I am kind of hoping they run the table just to shove a 19-0 stick up the rears of the '72 fins.

But with that said - Rome has it right when he notes a 0-16 "dream season" Dolphins team this year negates the accomplishments of the '72 squad.
Exactly the way I feel.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:29 am

Not because they are a legendary team, but because they are a group of cocky, pompous old men who cling onto a single season and marvel in the downfall of other great teams.

:mrgreen:

Soooo true...

JReed23 wrote:
TMC wrote:Yeah, I remember them running the score against the Redskins, but I doubt they'll keep doing it for the final games. Losing Brady in a meaningless game might ruing their season, for example.
I wouldn't be to worried about loosing brady based on that OLine's play. I'm too lazy to dig for the stats but I'm willing to bet he is close to being the least sacked qb, if not the very least.

I don't know about that. They need Brady to win against the top teams. I doubt they'd be undefeated with Matt Cassel playing against the Colts.

It may just be me, but I wouldn't play Brady more than 1 quarter in the final games if there's nothing on the line.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:18 am
TMC wrote:

Not because they are a legendary team, but because they are a group of cocky, pompous old men who cling onto a single season and marvel in the downfall of other great teams.

:mrgreen:

Soooo true...

JReed23 wrote:

I don't know about that. They need Brady to win against the top teams. I doubt they'd be undefeated with Matt Cassel playing against the Colts.

It may just be me, but I wouldn't play Brady more than 1 quarter in the final games if there's nothing on the line.
1 quarter might be all he needs. Seriously looking at this team and what they have done thus far, I would be surprised in the least bit.

Return to Sports Board