Bonds bitter at Giants?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:39 am
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3078090

Barry Bonds was once my favorite athlete. Period. Now I just want him to go away. I'm also stoked that the Giants were willing to move on for the betterment of the organization. Jeff Boris is a crook. Demanding $15 million a year for Bonds on a horrible team in rebuilding mode is a joke. Kudos to the Giants for breaking off ties prior to the winter meetings when they may be tempted to add him anyway.

San Francisco, btw, is the only city who've offered Bonds anything in his last two free agent periods. The first time the Giants were forced into a long-term deal when Barry accept arbitration. The second time Boris told us all that Bonds had many suiters, yet none ever emerged and the Giants again took a $15 million hit to bring him back. We'll see what happens now.

And, for the record, I know that Barry did just fine last year. His .276 BA, 28 homeruns and 66 RBIs seem low, but he also didn't play much down the stretch. His .480 OBP is off the charts and his .565 put him over 1.000 OPS again, making him one of the most dangerous in the game.

With that said, the Giants finished 71-91. Clearly, a part-time Bonds is better than anything else they had, but he wasn't enough to make this team even close to decent. Time to move on and try to develop a new core. Unfortunately, these is no core on the offensive side. It's scary to consider that no current Giants starter in the field is likely to be here in a year or two.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:54 am
I completely agree with you SoCal on all accounts; Bonds is now more of a detrement than a contributor. That said, I apriciate what he has done over the years and all the excitement and entertainment he has provided for us, but the Giants' and Bond's window of opprotunity to win a World Series together was slammed shut after the 2002 season - Same goes for all the other dated players we have on our roster (Well maybe not Omar and a couple of others). It's time we rebuild, starting with the departure of one of the greatest players of his generation (possibly alltime).

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:18 pm
JReed23 wrote:I completely agree with you SoCal on all accounts; Bonds is now more of a detrement than a contributor. That said, I apriciate what he has done over the years and all the excitement and entertainment he has provided for us, but the Giants' and Bond's window of opprotunity to win a World Series together was slammed shut after the 2002 season - Same goes for all the other dated players we have on our roster (Well maybe not Omar and a couple of others). It's time we rebuild, starting with the departure of one of the greatest players of his generation (possibly alltime).

Who on the offense do you see us keeping around for more than one more year? We have a couple unproven youngsters, but none that really smack you as star material. We need a David Wright type player to bring some excitement back.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:42 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:
JReed23 wrote:I completely agree with you SoCal on all accounts; Bonds is now more of a detrement than a contributor. That said, I apriciate what he has done over the years and all the excitement and entertainment he has provided for us, but the Giants' and Bond's window of opprotunity to win a World Series together was slammed shut after the 2002 season - Same goes for all the other dated players we have on our roster (Well maybe not Omar and a couple of others). It's time we rebuild, starting with the departure of one of the greatest players of his generation (possibly alltime).

Who on the offense do you see us keeping around for more than one more year? We have a couple unproven youngsters, but none that really smack you as star material. We need a David Wright type player to bring some excitement back.

I say that we keep Omar.

I think that Shierholtz, Lewis, Frandsen, and Ortmeier will get a chance next year.

Shierholtz has the highest potential out of all of them, because of his age.

I am expecting a big trade involving Lowry and one of our three good young pitchers (Cain, Lincecum, or Sanchez).

You want a David Wright type player, look for Angel Villalona to bust out and cut the AA team this year, at 17 years old. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:49 pm
Hey, it's just business. He's done what he could for us as a Giant, and I appreciate that. But it was time to go our separate ways.

I can just feel a trade coming this offseason for big name. Hopefully Sabean doesn't make a trade that virtually gives us nothing in return like he's done in the past with guys like Nathan and Accardo.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:31 pm
bring A-rod to Giants babe... :D
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:45 pm
No! They would be in the same situation they were in with Bonds for 15 years. One superstar player with no one around him. Get three great players instead of one megastar.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:12 am
Bonds agent is Scott Boras, not sure how I made that mistake.

Now that jerk is in the news again, this time with ARod:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3085166

This guy is horrible. He's so over the top I don't even want to read off-season moves because of the crap he pulls with his clients. Last year he took the Giants on HUGE contracts for both Barry Bonds and Barry Zito, and the team was horrible. Is that his fault? No. Has his clients really done anything for the Giants recently? No. Is he really worth dealing with, unless he represents one of your players or a player who will take you to the next level? No.

I hope the Giants stay a mile away from ARod so I don't have to read about this goon calling him the next Babe Ruth at SS.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:49 pm
He really gets the big bucks, and that's what matters. He is probably filthy rich. Anyone know exactly how much an agent makes? How much percent of the contract?

Return to Sports Board