Stupidest sports injury?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Worst Sports Injuries

No votes
Bill Gramatica tearing ACL celebrating game winning kick.
No votes
Sammy Sosa getting whiplash from sneezing.
33%
Ken Griffey Jr. hurting his balls because his cup slipped on him.
1
67%
Adam Eaton stabing himself trying to open a DVD.
2
No votes
Greg Oden messing up knee by getting up from his couch.
No votes
Mickey Tettleton went on the DL with athlete’s foot…caused by tying his shoes too tight.

Total votes: 3

User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5705
» Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:00 pm
Okay, I just heard that Greg Oden messed up his knee getting up from the couch...? That got me to thinking about the stupidest sports injuries that I remember. What do you think is the worst?

I've got to go with Jr. Griffey because what he did was something that only he could do... :wink:
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1266
» Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:09 pm
None of the above.

Straight from Wikipedia, your winner Mr. Glenallen Hill:

Hill suffered from an intense condition of arachnophobia. On one occasion Hill sustained cuts and scrapes on his feet, knees and arm during a violent nightmare about spiders. Hill popped out of bed, bumped into a glass table and plunged down a staircase, all occurring when he was asleep. Hill ended up being placed on the 15 day disabled list.


I do give Gramatica a close second though.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5705
» Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:22 pm
Thunder wrote:None of the above.

Straight from Wikipedia, your winner Mr. Glenallen Hill:

Hill suffered from an intense condition of arachnophobia. On one occasion Hill sustained cuts and scrapes on his feet, knees and arm during a violent nightmare about spiders. Hill popped out of bed, bumped into a glass table and plunged down a staircase, all occurring when he was asleep. Hill ended up being placed on the 15 day disabled list.


I do give Gramatica a close second though.


I do remember that, and I was thinking about putting it in, but I just dont like Glenallen Hill. :wink: When I first started getting into baseball, I was really young, and Glenallen Hill was a starter. He sucked.... He is the Rockies first base coach now.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21852
» Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:44 pm
:mrgreen:

Eaton stabbing himself while opening a DVD does it for me.

That arachniphobia one is extreme and likely the best of them all
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:23 am
I'm gonna add another one. Chris Hanson "the Ax Chopper".

Role Player
Posts: 344
» Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:05 pm
Ya stabbing yourself opening a dvd is pretty bad, but Oden didnt injure himself getting off his couch, it was a gradual thing that occured from the stress put on his knee from the rigors of basketball.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 6107
» Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:49 pm
Dubs4life wrote:Ya stabbing yourself opening a dvd is pretty bad, but Oden didnt injure himself getting off his couch, it was a gradual thing that occured from the stress put on his knee from the rigors of basketball.


That is actually not true from what I have heard and listing to Kevin Pritchard on the radio this morning. Oden's pre-draft MRI's showed what they term as "pristine knees" meaning all the cartlidge surface in both knees was smooth (meaning no injury or degenerative conditions or trauma).

The new MRI shows pristine cartlidge EVERYWHERE in his knee except for one particular part in his knee. This is indicative of a trauma related incident, not any sort of degenarative or stress over time situation.

Certainly the couch thing may not be how he did it, but the exams certainly showed he did SOMETHING to it.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:42 pm
badabing8888 wrote:The new MRI shows pristine cartlidge EVERYWHERE in his knee except for one particular part in his knee. This is indicative of a trauma related incident, not any sort of degenarative or stress over time situation.


That doesn't sound like the kind of injury you can sustain just by getting out of the couch...
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 6107
» Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:44 pm
TMC wrote:
badabing8888 wrote:The new MRI shows pristine cartlidge EVERYWHERE in his knee except for one particular part in his knee. This is indicative of a trauma related incident, not any sort of degenarative or stress over time situation.


That doesn't sound like the kind of injury you can sustain just by getting out of the couch...


No, it doesn't does it. But I guess if you have your feet planted and twist while you get up it certainly is possible. Tough break for the kid.

edit: hey, my 500th post. I am a role player no longer. \:D/
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 2557
» Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:09 pm
Howabout Tony Allen, after the whistle, dunking for the heck of it and sidelining himself for the year in the process.

But it has to be the opening of the DVD.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1266
» Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:44 pm
Wasn't there also a pitcher who punctured his eardrum and had to miss a while because he went too deep with a Q-Tip? I say that has to be up there as well.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5705
» Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:01 pm
Hey, I cant add everything on there. :wink:
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:38 am
badabing8888 wrote:edit: hey, my 500th post. I am a role player no longer. \:D/


Congrats, bada. Welcome to the starting lineup. :headbang:
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3074
» Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:44 am
I'd like to nominate Erubiel Durazo. He threw out his arm during a toss around the horn.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest