Cheating Patriots

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:51 am
badabing8888 wrote:In my estimation, anything short of them losing a 1st round pick next year is too lenient. This creates much more of a competitive inbalance that HGH or anything like that and a player who tests positive for that is suspended for 25% of the season on a first offense.

You know, I know it won't happen, but if it's proven without any kind of doubts, I know what I'd do if I were in Goodell's position.

The Pats would lose all of their draft picks for next year's draft. Also, the coaching staff (anyone involved, that is) would get a suspension of no less than 3 years. This is the kind of stuff that destroys any credibility the league may have. It damages not only the Pats, but the whole structure of the league.

Any team in Europe that gets caught cheating is demoted one or more categories. As you can't kick them out of the NFL they should get a proportional punishment.

Of course, that I won't happen. I guess they'll get a fine and lose a couple of picks, although not a first rounder.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:43 am
The only reason this has happened is Roger Goodell is trying to shift the attention away from the Michael Vick scandal... what's not better for a league then a great team in turmoil as opposed to a bad apple that has spoilt the whole state of Georgia.

We are gonna see a lot more ov Vick over the weeks but Roger Goodell can look like his winning the war on terror and being a great commissioner by making some smoke screen controversry.

Every team cheats, It's called Scouting... The Patrioits have done nothing wrong, And i bet if it was 1967 the Oakland Raiders would have been the lame duck team "CHEATING" But at this current point in time i suggest Al goes out and purchases him a handy cam cause us Raiders fans can get rather desperate.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:51 am
pawnograffiti wrote:Every team cheats, It's called Scouting... The Patrioits have done nothing wrong, And i bet if it was 1967 the Oakland Raiders would have been the lame duck team "CHEATING" But at this current point in time i suggest Al goes out and purchases him a handy cam cause us Raiders fans can get rather desperate.

Done nothing wrong? Are you serious? The broke rules that are EXPLICTELY laid out in the Game Operations Manual. Teams are forbidden to use any sort of surveilence or recording equipment. And certainly not pointed at the opposing sidelines.

There are also rumors of defensive players being rigged with earpieces so coaches could communicate with them. Now this one is just a rumor but it is clear they violated NFL rules.

Not sure what you are referring to when you say "scouting"
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:55 am
pawnograffiti wrote:Every team cheats, It's called Scouting...

One thing is watching footage of those games and a very different thing is taping the signals of their rivals. That's cheating. There's no other way to look at it.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:47 am
BLATANT cheating. And if it is true that they were communicating with players on the field other than the QB, that would be just brutally unfair.

Supposedly they had no explanation for the mysterious radio frequency's that were detected coming from their sidelines.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:52 am
Here is more info about the earpieces.

Code: Select all
WERE PATS WIRING DEFENSIVE PLAYERS, TOO?

The situation regarding the New England Patriots and the allegations/proof that they have stolen defensive signals is unofficially getting weirder.

The signal stealing flap is relevant only to defensive signals, since all offensive calls are made by radio.

But we're now aware of suspicions/rumors regarding efforts by the Pats to get a leg up as to opposing offenses. Specifically, we're told that it's believed that, during the 2006 season, the Patriots were putting microphones on defensive linemen in order to capture the offensive line calls and the quarterback audibles.

Then, the audio and the video of the game would be matched up, and the defensive players would be given the code at halftime.
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:45 pm
it's still scouting but only with more icing on the cake.

Seriously, this wouldn't be an issue if Michael Vick was a dog killer, the only reason the crackdown is coming on now is cause the NFL Head Office is head high in deep ****.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:39 pm
You've got to be kidding. I don't think it's called "scouting" when you surveillance the opposing team's signals. It's called, what's that word, oh yeah now I remember... CHEATING. You're stealing the plays so when you see the other coach or players use that signal, you'll know what to defend it with the upcoming play.

Or we can call it scouting to CHEAT.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:27 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:You've got to be kidding. I don't think it's called "scouting" when you surveillance the opposing team's signals. It's called, what's that word, oh yeah now I remember... CHEATING. You're stealing the plays so when you see the other coach or players use that signal, you'll know what to defend it with the upcoming play.

Or we can call it scouting to CHEAT.

Could not agree more Xbay!!! The thing about using surveillance is what I stated earlier in this thread. You can combine that video to match it up with your polaroids so you know exactly what each signal is in relationship to your allignment and their allingment and how they stunt and where they bring the pressure from. That is just a HUGE advantage.

This will force the NFL I believe into doing what the offense does now. Having one player on the defense with a headset inside the helmet so they no longer use signals to call defenses.

If true, what the Patriots did was flat out cheating and specifically against the stated rules in the Game Operations Manual. The broke the rules, cheated and got CAUGHT.

Surely the league needs to impose a pretty severe punishment for this.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:56 am
pawnograffiti wrote:it's still scouting but only with more icing on the cake.

What's next in scouting?. Kidnapping and torturing an assistant coach to reveal their audibles?. :mrgreen:

As everybody else said, what the Pats did, if proven, has only one name. Cheating. No matter what Al Davis' ghost might be telling you. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:49 pm
TMC wrote:
pawnograffiti wrote:it's still scouting but only with more icing on the cake.

What's next in scouting?. Kidnapping and torturing an assistant coach to reveal their audibles?. :mrgreen:

I could just picture Al Davis going after Mike Singletary. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:05 pm
well sf, looks like I won our bet. You can just change your sig to "Badabing sure is one smart dude!" for the next week. LOL :)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:19 pm
badabing8888 wrote:well sf, looks like I won our bet. You can just change your sig to "Badabing sure is one smart dude!" for the next week. LOL :)

Post the link, and I'll do it. :mrgreen:

Not that I dont trust you, but... ya know. :wink:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:23 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
badabing8888 wrote:well sf, looks like I won our bet. You can just change your sig to "Badabing sure is one smart dude!" for the next week. LOL :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3018338

Pats lose a 1st round pick next year if they make the playoffs or they lose a 2nd AND a 3rd if they dont make the playoffs. Belichek fined 500K and Pats fined 250K
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:26 pm
badabing8888 wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3018338

Pats lose a 1st round pick next year if they make the playoffs or they lose a 2nd AND a 3rd if they dont make the playoffs. Belichek fined 500K and Pats fined 250K

Wow, okay... A bet is a bet. Awful harsh for the Pats, though.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board