Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:09 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:Today.- Russia vs France and Spain vs Germany
Tomorrow.- Greece vs Slovenia and Lithuania vs Crotia

Very interesting matchups. I'll pick Russia in an upset, Spain, Greece and Lithuania

So far my predictions are right, with Russia beating France in a close game 75-71, with Parker missing the tying freethrow near the end and Spain destroying Germany 83-55

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:05 am
migya wrote:So far my predictions are right, with Russia beating France in a close game 75-71, with Parker missing the tying freethrow near the end and Spain destroying Germany 83-55

Yep. Beat me to it. Although I don't consider Russia beating France as an upset. The Russian team has been playing really well the whole championship.

Onto the games:

Russia 75 - France 71

As migya said, Parker missed a key free throw with 5 seconds left that would have tied the game. The rebound favored the russian team and the game was over. Parker was held to "just" 15 points, and Diaw added 17 and 6 boards. Turiaf also helped with 8 and 7 boards.

For the russians, AK had a poor game for his standards (6 points and 6 boards), Khryapa had a good one (16 points, 7 boards and 6 assists) and J.R. Holden (15 points, but with big plays in key moments) led their team to the win.

Spain 83 - Germany 55

A great defensive performance by the spanish team allowed them to break the game in the second quarter (40-27 by the half). The game was over by then.

Gasol wasn't much of a factor (7 points, 5 boards), but the rest of the team played well enough, with Calderón (17 points) shining above anyone else.

For Germany, Nowitzky had another poor game, due to the stiffling defense he faced, and was held to just 11 points.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:09 am
Last two games of the quarter-final round:

Lithuania 74 - Croatia 72

Croatia never gave up against one of the top teams of the tournament, and had a chance to go to overtime, but Planinic (the forrmer Net) missed two free throws with 1 second left. Two NBA players led Lithuania this time: Songaila, with 20 points and 7 boards, and Kleiza (Nuggets) who had 19 and 9. Cabbage was held to just 6 points, but had 8 assists.

Slovenia 62 - Greece 63

Amazing comeback by the Greek team, who was losing by 16 with less than 8 minutes to play and 61-49 with a bit more than 2:41 left. The greeks ended the game with a 21-4 run. Papaloukas, the highest paid player in Europe, had 7 points, 1 steal and 1 assist in the last 1:30.

As for NBA players, Nesterovic had 16 and 11 boards for Slovenia.

The semi-finals (today) are as follows:

Spain vs Greece
Lithuania vs Russia
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:57 am
I pick Spain and Lithuania to meet in the final but i have a feeling Russia might pull out a great win

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:20 am
Spain 82 - Greece 77

It was an extremely tough and painful win, but a win nonetheless. The Greek team played hard (with some tough fouls that, at times, went uncalled), which led to lots of flopping. It wasn't exactly pretty for the fans. Still, it was a win that takes Spain to the final of the championship.

For Spain, Gasol had a good game (23 points and 6 boards), and was helped by Navarro (23 and 4 boards) and Calderon (18 points). These two scored some key buckets in the last minutes of the game.

For the Greek team, Spanoulis also had a big game, with 24 points and 5 assists.

Russia 86 - Lithuania 74

Big, enormous game by Kirilienko, who had 29 points and 8 boards, and is on his way to become the MVP of the championship (sure thing if they win the final). JR Holden (18 points) and Krhyapa (15 points, 5 boards) also played well.

Siskauskas, with 30 points, was the only Lithuanian player to really show up. Cabbage didn't have a good shooting game, and finished with 5 points, 4 boards and 3 assists.

There are also games to decide the 5th to 8th position, but I'm not gonna comment on those (Have to be played to determine who qualifies for the Beijing olympics).

Today's the final, Spain vs Russia. The two best teams meet in the final. Gonna be a good one.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:09 am
My gut feeling has been 100% so far! Russia meet Spain and I do pick Spain but Russia may again come through. Kirilenko looking to get back on track and he has been huge in the championships

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:36 am
migya wrote:Russia may again come through

They did, indeed...

Spain 59 - Russia 60

Spain started strong the game (15-4), but Russia kept playing their game and reduced the difference to 34-31 by the half. The rest of the game was a close one. Holden scored some key buckets to give Russia the win, and Gasol missed the last shot.

The key for the loss were the free throws. The game wouldn't have been close if the Spanish team had made more than the 15/26 they did.

As per individual performances, Kirilenko (who won the MVP of the championship, and deservedly so) played well, with 17 points, 5 boards and a big defensive game. Holden didn't play as well, but came up big in the clutch.

Gasol had a decent game (14 points and 14 boards), but missed that last shot and also made only 5/12 from the free throw line, while shooting just .250 from the field. Navarro missed all of his shots. Calderón had 15 points, with 5/7 3pts.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:51 pm
Russia has come back to the top level of international basketball after many years in relative obscurity. AK may be motivated again so the Jazz might be an even bigger beast this upcoming season

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:07 am
migya wrote:AK may be motivated again so the Jazz might be an even bigger beast this upcoming season

Don't know about that. He was the go-to guy for Russia (even tho Holden was their real go-to guy in the clutch), something that won't happen with the Jazz. Also, he doesn't have the same room to operate with the Jazz. He played a lot of 3/4 for his national team, something he won't be able to do with Boozer and Okur in the middle.

Still, one of his best traits was/is his defense, something he'll have no matter which position he plays.
Previous

Return to Sports Board