The European Championship thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:49 am
I've decided to start a thread about the European championship that started yesterday. I'll focus the performance reviews on NBA players and those that can be drafted in the future, especially on Dubs players (Beans, Belinelli and Cabbage are playing).

First day results:

Group A

Serbia 65 - Russia 73

Kirilenko manhandled the Serbian team (watered down, as several key players rejected to play for them. Kosta Perovic was one of them). AK had 24 points and 12 boards. Darko Milicic played a terrible game, ending with 9 points and 9 boards, but shot only 2 of 13 from the field.

Greece 76 - Israel 66

One of the most entertaining games of the first day. Spanoulis, recently traded to the Spurs, led Greece with 19 points. Halperim, drafted by the Sonics, scored 20 for Israel.

Group B

Spain 82 - Portugal 56

Portugal is one of the worst teams of the tournament. Spain was winning 21-46 by half-time. They just cruised the rest of the game. Nobody on Portugal reached even the 10 points mark. For Spain, Pau had 19.

Latvia 85 - Croatia 77

Awful game by the Croatian team. 14 points and 7 boards by Biedrins. Solid performance.

Group C

Czech Republic 78 - Germany 83

The other good game of the first day. Germany needed 35 points and 11 boards by Nowitzky to win (in overtime) against a Jiri Welsh (22 points) led Czech squad.

Turkey 69 - Lithuania 86

Easy game for Lithuania, with Cabbage as their best player. He ended the game with 18 points, 8 boards and 7 assists. Okur had 10 and 11 boards and Turkoglu went for 18 and 5 for Turkey.

Group D

Italy 68 - Slovenia 69

Awful shooting night by the Italian team (4-22 from 3pt). Belinelli started on the bench and had a poor outing, ending with 7 points and 3 boards, shooting 2-4 from the field and 0-3 from 3pt in 18 minutes of play. Bagnani wasn't any better, finishing with 4 points, 1 board while shooting 2-8 from the field.

Poland 66 - France 74

Should have been an easier game for France, but was actually tougher than they expected. Parker led them with 16 points, while Boris Diaw added 10 and 4 boards.

I've just started this thread to see if people are interested in the tournament. I'll update it daily if you are. Also, I may look for footage of the games if you want it.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:00 am
Nice topic TMC.

Portugal shouldn't even be in basketball. I'd make that team if I was living there and I haven't played ball in quite some years :mrgreen:

Latvia seems to have come out of nowhere and are a solid team. Biedrins has been showing how good and valuable he is to his team and I'm happy he plays on the team.

I pick Spain to win the tournament

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:36 am
migya wrote:Portugal shouldn't even be in basketball. I'd make that team if I was living there and I haven't played ball in quite some years :mrgreen:

Yeah, they have a couple of good shooters, but that's all. They're, by far, the worst team of the tournament. But it's the first time they qualified for the final rounds in decades, so bball seems to be improving in Portugal.

But yeah, you're right. You'd probably make that team. :mrgreen:

migya wrote:Latvia seems to have come out of nowhere and are a solid team. Biedrins has been showing how good and valuable he is to his team and I'm happy he plays on the team.

I don't know most of the players of the Latvian squad, but they're tough to beat. They play a simple game, nothing fancy, but it works. Their biggest problem is that Biedrins is their only reference inside. That won't be enough against top teams.

After their win against Croatia, they should make it as second in the group. We'll play against them tonight, so tomorrow I'll post about how Beans fared against Pau.

migya wrote:I pick Spain to win the tournament

Yeah, we should be favored this time. We have a strong team, play at home... Won't be easy, but we have a good chance to win the title.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:57 am
I agree that Spain will win it, although I think France might have a decent chance as well.

All I know is Latvia should make it to the second round and if they do they might get past that. Andris is a difference maker.

I also hope that Cabbages destroys this tournament and ups his trade value enough where teams will overpay for him and we can make out like bandits.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:48 pm
Does anyone have statistics for the entire tournament so far? Especially AB's free throws. I have a nasty feeling in my bones about this.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:19 pm
I think he went 4/10 but I am not 100% sure on that. Someone will find a boxscore link.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:24 pm
cladden wrote:Especially AB's free throws.

4/9 in the first game.

To check stats for the whole tournament, go to this link:

http://www.eurobasket2007.org/en/

Beans is playing well against Gasol tonight (8 points at half time, not sure how many boards), although he's not defending him, probably to protect him from getting in foul trouble. Hence, Gasol is leading all scorers with 16 at the half.

I'll post a full review tomorrow.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:29 pm
Thunder wrote:I also hope that Cabbages destroys this tournament and ups his trade value enough where teams will overpay for him and we can make out like bandits.

I'm with you! If Jask plays well, maybe some GM will give up something nice for him. Pietrus and Jask together might be able to get a nice player that is 6th man level material

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:50 pm
migya wrote:
Thunder wrote:I also hope that Cabbages destroys this tournament and ups his trade value enough where teams will overpay for him and we can make out like bandits.

I'm with you! If Jask plays well, maybe some GM will give up something nice for him. Pietrus and Jask together might be able to get a nice player that is 6th man level material

I know Boston would love to have him. Either way, he has to leave this team. We got rid of one cheerleader, get rid of this one.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:37 am
xbaywarrior wrote:
migya wrote:

I know Boston would love to have him. Either way, he has to leave this team. We got rid of one cheerleader, get rid of this one.

As I posted in the Warriors forum (Cabbage's thread) the spanish media says he has already agreed to a deal with a greek team and will agree to a minimum buyout with the Warriors. Seems like you'll get your wish, XBay...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:21 am
Ok, onto the second day of competition:

Group A

Russia 90 - Israel 56

Another good game by AK (17, 13 and 5 assists) was enough to cruise to an easy win against a weak rival.

Greece 68 - Serbia 67

The Greek team won in overtime a close game against a tough Serbian team. Jaric (18 and 6 boards) and Milicic (17 and 7) led Serbia. Bad shooting night for both teams.

Group B

Croatia 90 - Portugal 68

Easy win for Croatia. Kasun (ex-Magic) is having a decent championship and Damir Markota (Bucks) also played well.

Spain 93 - Latvia 77

Latvia stayed in the game til the third quarter (29-19 in that quarter for Spain). Beans played well offensively (17 points. 1-2 free throws, if you wonder) but was held to only 5 boards. Defensively didn't do much, as they he wasn't on Pay much during the game, to avoid foul trouble. As a consequence, Pau went for 26 and 9, being the key to win the game. Rudy also added 20 points.

Group C

Lithuania 95 - Czech Republic 75

Lithuania is a just a better team. Jiri Welsh had another good game, but that wasn't enough against a strong team effort by Lithuania. Cabbage didn't play as hard as on his first game and ended with 10 points and 4 assists. Kleiza (Nuggets) helped with 14 points and 4 boards.

Germany 79 - Turkey 49

24 and 6 boards by Dirk led Germany against a terrible Turkish team. Okur never found his shot (5 points, 1-5 from the field) and only Turkoglu scored in double figures (15 points).

Group D

Slovenia 70 - Poland 52

Nothing to talk about here. Poland is not a good team by any means, and Slovenia, with Nesterovic (11 points and 12 boards), Lakovic and Lorbek (16 and 8, I think Toronto drafted him in the second round a couple years ago) cruised to an easy win.

France 69 - Italy 62

Tony Parker had the best performance of the tournament so far, leading France with 36 points. Diaw helped with 9 points and 7 boards. For Italy, Bargnani (16 points, although just 3 boards) and Belinelli (again coming from the bench, but playing 30 minutes. Finished with 15 points and 3 boards, albeit shooting just 2-8 from 3pt) led the team. Still, it wasn't enough.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:12 pm
Portugal beat Latvia 77-67! Portugal advance and Latvia don't. Can't believe they won a game and Latvia not only lost but got eliminated. Biedrins played well again

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:00 am
Third day results:

Group A

Serbia 83 - Israel 87

The Serbian team goes back home after losing all of their games in the tournament. Most of their top playes decided not to play for the national team, so it's not a big surprise. Milicic had a good game, with 18 points and 13 boards and Jaric was solid. For Israel, Halperim had another good game. If he ever joins the Sonics, he might become a good role player at NBA level. Good shooter, at least.

Russia 61 - Greece 53

Awful game from a fan point of view. Both teams played defensively, with Russia dominating since the first quarter. 12 and 17 boards of AK were enough to allow Russia to advance with a perfect record (AK-47 is averaging 17.7 points and 14 boards per game so far. Will be right there with Nowitzky, Parker and Gasol for the MVP).

Group B

Portugal 77 - Latvia 67

The shocker of the tournament so far. Awful game by Latvia, where only Beans (14 and 18 boards, although only 2/8 from the field) played with some kind of urgency. Portugal goes into the next round due to Croatia's win over Spain. Latvia goes back home.

Spain 84 - Croatia 85

Another upset. An awful 3rd quarter (27-15 for Croatia) allowed the Croats to win. Spain didn't play bad offensively, but were unable to stop the Croats on defense and didn't rebound as well as they should. Gasol had 26 points, but only 4 boards.

Group C

Lithuania 84 - Germany 80

Lithuania, led by Cabbage's 15 and 10 assists, dominated most of the game, but Germany never gave up and forced a close game at the end (81-80 with 11 seconds). Okulaja tried to become the hero... and failed, commiting an offensive foul while looking for the final shot. I'm pretty sure Nowiztky wanted to kill him after that. Dirk had 28 and 9.

Turkey 80 - Czech Republic 72

First win for the Turkish team, led by Turkoglu (22 points) and Okur (16 and 10).

Group D

Italy 79 - Poland 70

The italian team makes it to the next round with just one win, but can be dangerous there, as they're playing better in each game. Bargnani (19 and 7) and Belinelli ( 34 min. in which he got 20 points, 3-5 from 3pt) led the team to their first win.

Slovenia 67 - France 66

Surprisingly, Slovenia advances til the next round with a perfect record. For the French team, Parker was as impressive as he always is (25 points), but Diaw (6 and 4) is, once again, a big disappointment. For some reason, he never looks good with the national team. Ronnie Turiaf added 13 points and 5 boards.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:44 am
Into the second round we go:

Group E

Israel 80 - Croatia 75

The Croats are able to beat anybody... and to lose with anybody, as proven by their defeats against Latvia and this one. Actually, this game may mean they won't make it til the next round. Israel was their weaker rival, so it will be tough for them to recover from this loss. Only Kasun (18 and 7) played well for them. Israel, playing zone most of the game, was able to stop their shooters pretty easily.

Portugal 65 - Russia 78

Easy game for the russian team. 16 and 4 by AK and a double-double by Khryapa (11 and 11) were enough to cruise to the win against a weak portuguese team that has beaten the odds just by qualifying for this stage.

Spain 76 - Greece 58

These two teams played the final of the last world cup, and it was the first time they played each other since that game. Still, the game was over by the half, with Spain up 45-24. This time, the key was our outstanding defense (the best defensive game we have had in the whole championship). Gasol finished with 15 and 5 (rebounding is still our biggest weakness) and Rudy added 20 points. Navarro, recently signed by the Grizzlies, played his first game of the tournament after missing the first three with a minor injury, and had 7 points, although it may take him a couple more games to pick up where he left before his injury.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:47 am
These were elimination games I take it? Russia could be a darkhorse and I'd like to see AK go against Gasol

Next

Return to Sports Board