No votes

Total votes : 7

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:38 am
NBA Offseason... In Review!

DRAFT

Biggest Steal

Not to sound too much like a homer, but that would have to be Golden State's own, Marco Belinelli. The Italian swingman dropped to #18 in the draft, despite being (arguably) the purest shooter on the board. Belinelli has also displayed confidence in his passing and handling skills as a guard, not to mention he cuts off lanes exceptionally well (which will fit perfectly in Don Nelson's defense). By no means will he make anybody forget Jason Richardson (at least, not this year), but for almost dropping to 20th in the Draft, Chris Mullin grabbed a diamond in the rough.

Most Overrated Pick

That would have to be Jeff Green, taken at #5 by the Seattle SuperSonics. With Durant occupying the PF position, Seattle targetted a swingman that could play the SG or SF role. They took Jeff Green. They should have taken Corey Brewer. Green, while versatile, doesn't appear to excell at anything... which tends to clash at the NBA level, when a go-to move is nice to have. I can see Green ending up as a future Mike Dunleavy clone; cranking out 14 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists a night. Not a terrible pick, but in such a loaded draft (and, for God's sake, you traded Ray Allen for this pick!), the Sonics could have done much better.

Best Selections Overall

This one is easy. As with last year, you gotta take the team with double the Top 15 picks. The Atlanta Hawks may be a broken franchise, but Al Hortford and Acie Law put them on the right track for a future smallball team. In limited minutes together, I'd love to see Law, Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, and Hortford on the floor together. Thats a talented run-and-gun lineup that sounds like it can heat up very quickly. Add Shelden Williams and sub out Marvin for that extra rebounding prowess. Its a smallball lineup waiting to happen.

Rookie-of-the-Year Prediction

Its funny. Before Draft Night, all anybody could talk about were the same 2 guys... and now (*cough* after the Summer League), nobody seems to be mentioning Kevin Durant and Greg Oden anymore. While its true that I bought into the Oden-hype (and I refuse to change my opinion on him until I see him play an NBA game), the Blazers' #1 pick certainly seems to look like another Pervus Elison as of late: talented when he does play, but injury-prone like crazy. Therefore, resisting the obvious urge (and common sense) to give in and take Kevin Durant, I'm gonna go with Corey Brewer. Call it a hunch. I'm not saying he'll be the better longterm player, but I can see him holding the trophy at the year's end.

TRADES

Most Underrated Trade

In a time where everybody is talking about the Boston Celtics, Rashard Lewis, and a loaded draft class, the New York Knicks quietly attained problem-solver, Zach Randolph, to boost their lineup. Randolph, though he's not without his issues, was Portland's sole reason for victory in multiple contests last season. When he wants to be dominant, Randolph can will his team to victory like the old greats used to. An underrated pickup, to say the least, as I can see him cranking out another 20 and 10 season next to Eddy Curry and helping the struggling Knicks back to the post season. Randolph and Curry might be the worst defending big men tandem in the league, but their offense and rebounding should more than make up for that. It was a desperate, win-now move by Isaiah Thomas (and he gave up a stud, finese PF to do it), but it will definitely work in the short-term.

Most Overrated Trade

I'm not saying its a trade that won't help, but aquiring Ray Allen from Seattle definitely seems like a background deal after the Kevin Garnett trade. Allen is an all-star, the best shooter in the league, and a class act, but he won't likely contribute more than 16 or 17 PPG for the Celtics (and thats being generous). Having a 3rd star like that is the best insurance policy in the league (as Allen is capable of 25 PPG in a Garnett or Pierce-less environment), but its also the most expensive.

Most Successful Trade

What else? Kevin Garnett. :wink:

By a landslide.

FREE AGENCY

Best Resign

By any and all indications based on the playoffs, this one goes to Golden State for retaining Matt Barnes at such a cheap price. Chris Mullin was able to sway the swingman for one more season at the veteran's minimum after finishing the post-season with a +13.73 EFF. If Barnes stays hot, it'll be the most efficient sign of the summer.

Worst Resign

The Charlotte Bobcats, upon the arrival of Rod Higgins, handed Matt Carroll a 5-year deal... and then traded for Jason Richardson. So, in essence, you're paying a bench-ridden SG who came out of the D-League a 5-year contract. Sounds logical. Actually, it sounds quite similar to the contracts that were given to Mike Dunleavy and Derek Fisher when Rod Higgins was running things in Golden State. If fans can attribute the Pacers-Warriors trade to Don Nelson, there if enough proof in the proverbial pudding to incriminate Rod Higgins for the bad contracts in Golden State. His first sign in Charlotte was a 5-year backup deal.

Best Pickup?

For short-term results, the Phoenix Suns got a gem in Grant Hill. His minutes need to stay limited, but he's star-quality when he does play. As a bench player looking to play around 20 minutes per game, this sounds like a great fit for Grant. Phoenix may do to Hill's career what Detroit did for Antonio McDysse' career. McDysse, a former bulldozer PF whose bad knees robbed him of his superstardom, has found a nice niche as a Piston in the past few years. In fact, during the 2005-'06 campaign, McDysse averaged 18 PPG in the games where he played 30 minutes or more. I can see Hill achieving similar results.

Worst Sign?

Darko Milicic by the Memphis Grizzlies. Curiously enough, this is the same organization that took chances on Stromile Swift, Hakim Warrick, and Lorenzen Wright. I guess the Grizzlies just can't get enough athletic big men that need to work on finely tuned skills...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:11 pm
DRAFT

Biggest Steal

It's pretty hard to say before playing a single regular season game, but let's try it.

3 guys look like steals. Belinelli, Rudy Fernandez and Splitter. The last two are clearly better than their draft position, but won't play in the NBA for at least another year. We'll see once they play. So far, Belinelli.

Most Overrated Pick

Can be Jeff Green, can be Yi. I expect more from Green, which leaves Yi as the most overrated. Sean Williams was another risky pick.

Best Selections Overall

Atlanta had a good draft, but I'm going with Portland. Not only for Oden, who was an easy pick, but they also grabbed Rudy and Kopponen in the first round and Taurean Green in the second.

Kevin Durant. Bad team, a big name coming from the draft that will have minutes, shots and all the hopes of the team since the very first game. Unless he gets injured, he's got to be the favorite for ROY.

TRADES

Most Underrated Trade

Ray Allen to the Celtics. Purely because without that trade, KG wouldn't be a Celtic now.

Most Overrated Trade

Brandan Wright for J-Rich. Most people like the trade for the Dubs. I think it sucks. We'll see.

Most Successful Trade

Kevin Garnett. Easy.

FREE AGENCY

Best Resign

It's the obvious one, but that doesn't mean it's not the best. Dwight Howard for Orlando.

Worst Resign

I can see Carroll, although that can even be a good signing if he signed for cheap. I haven't read the amounts. Luke Walton for 6 years is another candidate for worst re-signing of the year.

Best Pickup?

Steve Francis for Houston. He goes back home to play for almost a minimum deal, thanks to the buyout he agreed with the Blazers.

Worst Sign?

Darko Milicic by the Memphis Grizzlies. The other sigings were cheaper or for less years. Darko wins in a landslide.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:21 pm
Yeah, I didn't name Dwight Howard's resign as the best one purely because everybody and their mother knew that Orlando was going to be able to keep Howard. Keeping somebody after they've been on the market is a lot tougher.

Durant certainly has the team to get big numbers on... but so does Corey Brewer. If the young T-Wolves make a splash this season (which, potentially, they might be able to stay in the playoff race, if more teams experience key injuries), Brewer will get a lot of attention. He's already one of the media's dolls.

The Brandan Wright trade can only be judged after we see what becomes of the trade exception... but many of us are already satisfied with the salary relief and addition of Brandan Wright, so the TE seems more like icing on the cake, to me. Wright is a stud prospect who will come into his own as soon as next year. In the meantime, he'll be a backup capable of adding energy and momentum off the bench.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:49 pm
DRAFT

Biggest Steal

Marco Belinelli by far. Based on his summer league performance, he was a steal at 18.

Most Overrated Pick

Yi Jianlian. The hype was created by the media. He struggled mildly during the Summer League. His one and only highlight of the Summer League was the game winner against Cleveland. His government didn't want him in Milwaukee. And there were better choices at 6th overall for the Bucks.

Best Selections Overall

Atlanta. Purely because they picked a stud in Al Horford and picked up Acie Law IV later on. Great job... now what to do with all those forwards?

Kevin Durant. This kid is like LeBron on the Cavs. Great talent, but no help. Have fun... especially in the West.

TRADES

Most Underrated Trade

Players sent to Boston in exchange for KG. Some hated it, some liked it. But it didn't get enough attention because people absolutely fell in love with Boston's "return" to glory even though nothing's happened yet. Minny has a future now with the additions of Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, and Al Jefferson to team with Brewer and Foye.

Most Overrated Trade

Brandan Wright for Jrich. I liked the trade, but still.... Until we see what we actually got in return other than a trade exception and cap room for the future, it's overrated.

Most Successful Trade

Kevin Garnett. Kevin McHale and Danny Ainge = successful trade talks.

FREE AGENCY

Best Resign

Dwight Howard. They lose Shaq 9 years ago, so they make sure they keep Howard.

Worst Resign

Luke Walton. You call this help for Kobe? He's not going to do anything big to help Kobe in the next 6 years.

Best Pickup?

Steve Francis. The Franchise is back, 'cept this time he doesn't have to worry about being that man.

Worst Sign?

Darko Milicic . Who? :wink:
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:31 pm
DRAFT

Biggest Steal

It's hard to tell right now but I'll go with Belinelli just because he looks capable and a pretty good fit for the team. A darkhorse, if used properly, could be Javaris Crittenton, at least in the long term

Most Overrated Pick

Green may not even start as Durant will likely be at his natural SF spot. I'll go with Yi though because not only may he not start but there has been nothing but controversy and bad publicity so far with him and the added pressure might get to him

Best Selections Overall

As TMC said, Portland. Oden, Rudy and Kopponen in the first round and Taurean Green in the second. Taurean in the second round was a steal and could be a nive piece for them for years. Be nice if he was playing for us

Kevin Durant by a fair bit. He'll get the minutes and the shots.

TRADES

Most Underrated Trade

Ray Allen to the Celtics. Purely because without that trade, KG wouldn't be a Celtic now. I agree with TMC purely just for this reason, though the Celts gave up a fair bit for Allen.

Most Overrated Trade

Brandan Wright for J-Rich. Everyone knows I don't like this trade. BWright will have to be special to make people forget about JRich

Most Successful Trade

Kevin Garnett because he makes the Celts instant contenders

FREE AGENCY

Best Resign

Dwight was a great resign but a maximum salary one (which he is worth ofcourse). Same deal with Okafor (who is worth the money as well). I really think that GWallace resigned for relatively good amount and was a real need for the Bobcats to be kept.

Worst Resign

Matt Carroll now does seem like a bad resigning.

Best Pickup?

Steve Francis may get back to being a star for Houston. He has been lost for a couple of years almost but should be a great fit in the Rockets once again

Worst Sign?

Rashard Lewis. He is a very good player, though more of a scorer than anything else, but he was signed to a ridiculous amount and he is not worth 3/4 of that

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:10 pm
Do note to get Rashard to come to Orlando they had to pay up. People say his contract is ridiculous which I agree, but he wasn't going to come for anything cheaper.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:08 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:Do note to get Rashard to come to Orlando they had to pay up. People say his contract is ridiculous which I agree, but he wasn't going to come for anything cheaper.

I wouldn't have gotten him though, truly he is not worth that much. They should have targetted GWallace for 10-11 million a year and they would have probably landed him and he does more than Rashard anyway

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:42 am
DRAFT

Biggest Steal

Although Belinelli was good, I'm gonna go with Brandan Wright, who could have been picked third.

Most Overrated Pick

I think Yi is the most overrated, but I do think Joakim Noah deserves a mention.

Best Selections Overall

Probably the Hawks. Portland a close second.

Kevin Durant, he has so much hype and I bet he will put up the numbers for the Sonics, who aren't loaded with firepower now (besides him).

TRADES

Most Underrated Trade

Ray Allen to the Celtics. With Allen, the Celtics can have him lurk around the three line and get shots all day with KG down low.

Most Overrated Trade

I'm reserving judgment on the J-Rich trade, but for now we lost strength a lil, and until he pans out this trade is a little overrated.

Most Successful Trade

KG trade.

FREE AGENCY

Best Resign

Dwight Howard.

Worst Resign

For now, Matt Carroll.

Best Pickup?

Rashard Lewis is waaaaay overpaid, but acquiring a player like him (a shooter) was a smart move with DH down low for the Magic.

Worst Sign?

Whoever signs Pietrus.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:56 am
32 wrote:Durant certainly has the team to get big numbers on... but so does Corey Brewer. If the young T-Wolves make a splash this season (which, potentially, they might be able to stay in the playoff race, if more teams experience key injuries), Brewer will get a lot of attention. He's already one of the media's dolls.

Yeah, I also think Brewer will have a good rookie season. I'm sure he'll make the all rookie team and will get his share of votes for ROY. But I don't think he can win it, as Minny has more weapons and more seasoned players than Seattle. The Sonics are starting from scratch, with Durant as their future, and almost their present. They'll do everything they can to help him reach stardom as soon as possible, so he can lead them in future seasons. They're built for him. They second best player on that team right now may be... Collison, who I do like, but he's just a solid starter.

On the other side, Minny will have Al Jefferson, Randy Foye, Ricky Davis and a few others playing with Corey. They'll have a better record than the Sonics (probably), but Brewer won't be their key guy. Just another contributor.

JayPat wrote:Worst Sign?

Whoever signs Pietrus.

What happens if it's us? :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:28 am
I totally forgot about Noah! Well pointed out JPat, he is the worst rookie of the highest picked

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:47 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:Do note to get Rashard to come to Orlando they had to pay up. People say his contract is ridiculous which I agree, but he wasn't going to come for anything cheaper.

I actually heard that they outbidded themselves when no other team reasonably would have been within 15mill of their first offer (which was way lower than the final). I can't remember the details but I think several sportswriters with salary-cap savvy choked on their coffee when they read about this deal. I think they could have gotten him way cheaper. Where else would he go?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:51 pm
cladden wrote:

I actually heard that they outbidded themselves when no other team reasonably would have been within 15mill of their first offer (which was way lower than the final). I can't remember the details but I think several sportswriters with salary-cap savvy choked on their coffee when they read about this deal. I think they could have gotten him way cheaper. Where else would he go?

I don't think anywhere else. I heard rumors of him going to Charlotte but after the resigning of Wallace and trade for Jrich, that was ruled out. But other than that, it was either Orlando or going back to Seattle.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:31 pm
cladden wrote:

That signing was ridiculous and well hinder them from building a championship team, unless they are able to obtain high priced players and go well over lux tax level. Rashard for 12 million would be decent but anymore is overpaying

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:49 pm
migya wrote:
cladden wrote:

That signing was ridiculous and well hinder them from building a championship team, unless they are able to obtain high priced players and go well over lux tax level. Rashard for 12 million would be decent but anymore is overpaying

Well look at the bright side... not our problem.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:21 am
xbaywarrior wrote:
cladden wrote:

I don't think anywhere else. I heard rumors of him going to Charlotte but after the resigning of Wallace and trade for Jrich, that was ruled out. But other than that, it was either Orlando or going back to Seattle.

Houston also tried to trade for him, offering Battier in a deal (being over the cap, they had to agree with Seattle on a sign-and-trade). And Rashard wanted to go there (he's from Houston, so he'd be coming home). The problem was the money. The Rockets were never close to Orlando's money...

Return to Sports Board