Vick to plead guilty

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:07 pm
With Vick pleading guilty, how do you guys feel about the situation now. Do you hope he gets the maximum punishment or the minimum. I am just waiting to see what happens now with the whole scandal
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:27 pm
I think he should get at least an 18month sentance and then a lifetime ban from the NFL.

This guy should NEVER play another down in the league.

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:28 pm
Yeah, I kind of lost interest because its such a waste of talent. Its disgusting. Not to mention the whole dog execution thing, I can't believe it. Its just a terrible situation overall.

The real victims here are the dogs of course, but also the Falcons fans. I would hate to have my season's fate in the hands of Harrington. :(
DUBBBIN’ !
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:50 pm
I dont care how long he is in jail, as long as he is NEVER let back into the NFL. 18 months sounds right, though.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:41 pm
IMO... there are three things wrong, one the victims who were the dogs, the fact that vick was gambling and basically the one in charge. and as sfsfsfgiants stated, for the falcons organization. They traded away Matt Schaub and put their whole future into Vick and now have to depend on Joey Harrington...HAHAHA but Vick should get at least 2 yrs for me in prison. With all those things tied together I would hope that he would be banned from the NFL. He can go ahead and play in the CFL.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:20 pm
Well, Vick's career has to be over. What a sad future the Falcons have. Petrino's first year is a tough one. But I'm pretty sure Petrino would love to have a shot at drafting Brian Brohm because well, he coached him at Louisville. :wink:
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:28 pm
I wouldnt be shocked if Vick gets a chance when he gets out. A team like the Lions who desperately need a QB would take a chance on him. I am not saying that I hope that he does, but I think that he might.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:37 pm
I'd expect that also. But only if Matt Millen is still the man in charge. He's made the dumbest moves I've ever witnessed. 3 straight years of drafting a WR? Roy Williams being the well known, Mike Williams having his problems, and the other guy... Yep, I forgot his name because well, he never made a name for himself. Carlos Rogers, that's it. He should just be lucky I remembered his name.

Anyway, I wouldn't be shocked. But that chance seems so slim.
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:39 pm
Not to be Dr. Evil, but i dont care whether he plays in the NFL or not, as long as he wasn't glorified. I understand what his supporters say, that he was born into that culture and is wasnt about the money but more that he was stuck in something that was difficult to get out of. I mean i get the culture and all that, the problem was hes a superstar and is expected to be a good role model (althought i never expected Vick to lead me towards my lifes dreams) I know what he did is messed up and all, but I think its overstated. A guy on yahoo sports wrote a really nice article on how the whole thing is overstated. Whateeeeever its not good, but lay offa him, he made a horrible mistake and a lot of people do, as long as he gets the message of how idiodic the stuff he did was.
I give MC's the runs... drippin'...
~
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:55 pm
The thing that makes me mad about Vick was that he doesnt seem to care. He doesnt seem to realize just how big this was. He thought that this was a big joke, and that he would be able to get out of it with a slap on the wrist, mainly because he has been such a huge name, no one would do anything. Remember when Randy Moss pretended to moon those Packers fans? Is it much of a difference than when Vick flipped off the Falcon fans? Vick didnt get in trouble, while Moss did. It shows us that the league wants the money that Vick brings in just by being Vick than doing the right thing.

Vick hasnt really apologized.... He doesnt seem to care what he did....
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:06 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:The thing that makes me mad about Vick was that he doesnt seem to care. He doesnt seem to realize just how big this was. He thought that this was a big joke, and that he would be able to get out of it with a slap on the wrist, mainly because he has been such a huge name, no one would do anything. Remember when Randy Moss pretended to moon those Packers fans? Is it much of a difference than when Vick flipped off the Falcon fans? Vick didnt get in trouble, while Moss did. It shows us that the league wants the money that Vick brings in just by being Vick than doing the right thing.

Vick hasnt really apologized.... He doesnt seem to care what he did....

now that you mention it your right... IMO what vick did to the falcons was way more vulgar. Moss just did the act of pretending to moon, it wasnt that much of a big deal to me. But once you start actually sticking the middle finger up, to your very own fans, what does that say? Im just waiting for the final answer on this whole situation
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:33 am
I know it may seem absurd but I wouldn't be surprised if Vick got away with this for less than what we all want or thought. Hey, if Michael Jackson can get away with child molestation and OJ with murder then it's possible.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:54 am
xbaywarrior wrote:I know it may seem absurd but I wouldn't be surprised if Vick got away with this for less than what we all want or thought. Hey, if Michael Jackson can get away with child molestation and OJ with murder then it's possible.

Yeah, that agreement system you've got over there is a bit... well, unfair. Vick will probably be able to "buy" a reduced sentence. Not able to get rid of it all, but not punished as much as he should.

As for a permanent banishment of the NFL, that can't happen. It's his job we're talking about, after all. You just can't sentence a guy to lose his line of job for a transgression unrelated to it. He should be suspended, no doubt, but not to the point that he won't be able to return. In any other case, he should appeal in court against any decision that does not allow him to do his job, be it from another court or the league itself.

Of course, that doesn't mean he'll have an easy time coming back. If, for example, he misses two years of football, he'll have to start again from scratch. It won't be easy for him to find a team that gives him a chance. And, of course, if he manages to come back, he won't get a fat contract like he had in Atlanta. He has lost his career already. Nothing will save him from that.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:08 am
TMC wrote:As for a permanent banishment of the NFL, that can't happen. It's his job we're talking about, after all. You just can't sentence a guy to lose his line of job for a transgression unrelated to it. He should be suspended, no doubt, but not to the point that he won't be able to return. In any other case, he should appeal in court against any decision that does not allow him to do his job, be it from another court or the league itself.

Of course it can happen and I believe it SHOULD happen. A ban from the NFL does not make him lose his line of work. The NFL is a private entity in an idustry of Football. There are other leagues such as the CFL, Arena League, etc. There are semi-pro football leagues all across the country. He would be free to seek employment in the game of football, just not the NFL.

They have the right not to employ confited felons. Just like how in job applications you are asked whether you have been convicted of a felony. This is a guy who participated in cruel and barbaric practices. A guy who was involved with executing and murdering living creatures. A guy who has participated in illegal gambling activities. The NFL has EVERY right to never let a guy like this participate in their league again. Not saying they WILL do it, but they certainly COULD and I would support that decision 100%.

It is a PRIVELIDGE to play in that league and the sooner athletes realize that, the better.
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:38 am
badabing8888 wrote:Of course it can happen and I believe it SHOULD happen. A ban from the NFL does not make him lose his line of work. The NFL is a private entity in an idustry of Football. There are other leagues such as the CFL, Arena League, etc. There are semi-pro football leagues all across the country. He would be free to seek employment in the game of football, just not the NFL.

They have the right not to employ confited felons. Just like how in job applications you are asked whether you have been convicted of a felony. This is a guy who participated in cruel and barbaric practices. A guy who was involved with executing and murdering living creatures. A guy who has participated in illegal gambling activities. The NFL has EVERY right to never let a guy like this participate in their league again. Not saying they WILL do it, but they certainly COULD and I would support that decision 100%.

It is a PRIVELIDGE to play in that league and the sooner athletes realize that, the better.

Ok, then the problem is that things don't work like that here. You just cannot reject someone for being an ex-convict. Of course it happens, but employers have to be a bit more... "creative" with their reasons to reject them. They have their right to work, after all, and you just can't deny it because you don't like the guy or what he has done. Of course, we're talking about jobs unrelated to the transgression.

Please, keep in mind that I'm not saying he should be forgiven. Actually, I hope he gets a harsh punishment for what he did. I'm just saying that, from a legal point of view, it's doubtful that he can be permanently banned, even if it's a private entity.

The problem here is that that private entity is the only one that can employ him at the highest level, which makes it tricky. It's not the same as being fired from a firm knowing there are lots of other similar firms out there that might hire you (or not).
Next

Return to Sports Board