Holdouts

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:51 am
What do you guys think about top draft picks holding out on attending training camp?

I don't really understand if its their agents' fault or if its them (the player) just being greedy. I mean like in cases of JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn what is the point? Obviously the money, but doesn't it really hurt the team dynamic? Doesn't the team end up having a bad outlook on you ? Personally I think its a bunch of BS. Maybe after you've been proven in the pros that you can play, then you can demand more money, but right now before you even play? C'mon.
DUBBBIN’ !
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:29 am
PVWarriorFan wrote:What do you guys think about top draft picks holding out on attending training camp?

I talked about it in the NFL thread. The way I see it, it's the league's fault for not setting a contract scale for rookies, like the NBA does. That way no rookie misses any time.

It's a shame it happens, but it's not avoidable with the current system.

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:39 am
Oh my bad I guess I missed it in there. BTW what is the contract scale for rookies? And so basically in the NFL its unlimited?
DUBBBIN’ !
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:46 am
PVWarriorFan wrote:Oh my bad I guess I missed it in there. BTW what is the contract scale for rookies? And so basically in the NFL its unlimited?

If I'm not wrong, in the NFL is negotiated between the player and the team, like any other contract. That's why it's problematic.

Check this link for the NBA rookie salary scale:

http://www.hoopshype.com/draft.htm

The salary appears below each rookie. I think those contracts are guaranteed for two years in case of a first rounder, and non-guaranteed for second rounders.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:25 am
It's the NFL's fault on two levels:

1 - the lack of a contract shcedule for draft picks that TMC mentioned

2 - Not having enough guarenteed money in contracts or buyout clauses for cuts. It is way too easy to get injured in the NFL and it is the only major league where your salary isn't guarenteed. I don't like the holdouts but I get them. If I had a chance of losing it all at any given time I would fight and claw to get all the guarenteed money I can (which is what an overwhelming majority of holdouts are about).

Unfortunately, holdouts are so commonplace they are just considered part of the NFL.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:21 pm
Definately sounds like something the NFL has to address as quickly as possible. That is something that can cripple a team that needs that draft pick to contribute immediately and a mess that is not good for the fans to see either

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:28 pm
Another thing about holdouts, not necesarily football, but baseball has the worst. The deadline to sign draft picks is this coming wednesday, and half the first rounders havent been signed, and I would say a third wont get signed. The Giants still have two first rounders unsigned.... :|

Return to Sports Board