San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:36 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Actually, guybrush, i think Palmer is a sure bet that he is gone. He clearly wants out (based on his statements) and I am sure the team will grant him his wish.
I think the niners would be smart to draft a QB in the first or second rounds and maybe bring in Alex Smith for another year (probably at a low price). Because the team needs a young QB, and if you go after a Vet like McNabb or Palmer, the media will always question them about every move (and wondering when the rookie QB will be coming to replace them). If you have Alex Smith, its not as harsh. I think with another year with that O-line, smith will be a decent option until a young rookie qb will have time to emerge.

When Mr. Brown is your owner, it is clearly possible that Palmer won't get his wish. Remember, Ochocinco wanted to be traded a few years ago, and Brown didn't budge at all.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:04 am
This thread was dead for way too much. Here's one video in hope of having the next season. ::lol:

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:51 pm
I've debated even posting here since it seems like my and Guybrush are the only remaining fans/contributors of this thread, but I'm not to into the NFL right now, especially if come June 3rd and there isn't any positive news - we are F*CKED! There aren't many teams that are in as bad of shape as us right now - our division was already a toss up and now since we likely wont have any time for our new coaches and players to work together while the three teams in our division have returning coaching staffs... If something doesn't happen soon, our season will be over before it starts.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:13 pm
Unfortunately, you are probably right. Though, who knows, maybe this team would have looked totally different if just Singletary had stayed away from offense. We would probably have been in the PO without a HC last season, lol.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:24 pm
One huge positive is how Alex has stepped up this off season and organized the workouts/practices - this month he is organizing mini camps. He has really become the leader of the team thus far and considering that we don't have any better options, I'm pleased with what I've heard. Good interview: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... is-future/
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:03 pm
An air-tight case for Nnamdi Asomugha

By Mike Sando

San Francisco should build their defense around free-agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha.
The San Francisco 49ers should throw suitcases filled with cash at Nnamdi Asomugha, the Oakland Raiders' perennial Pro Bowl cornerback, the minute NFL free agency finally begins.

There, I said it. Finally.

More than once I've used this space to awaken wishful fans from their Asomugha free-agency dreamlands.

Followers of the 49ers have proven particularly indulgent, and why not? Luring one of the game's elite corners across the Bay from the Raiders would qualify as a victory sweeter than just about any the team has enjoyed on the field in recent seasons.

That isn't a slap at the 49ers, either. Asomugha is that good -- as a player, of course, and as the type of person organizations build around.

But how likely are the 49ers -- ever confident in their personnel if they could only settle on the right coach/quarterback combination -- to break from their recent offseason restraint? Not very, it seems, and recent events validate that feeling.

General manager Trent Baalke went on the record this week lowering expectations for the 49ers in free agency, all but dousing fans' hopes for Asomugha by saying the team would lay low again this offseason. Team president Jed York seconded those comments.

They should make an exception for Asomugha. Let's count the reasons why:
[+] Enlarge
Cary Edmondson/US Presswire
Cornerback Nate Clements' production doesn't merit the salary he is being paid.
The 49ers need a cornerback. Let's begin where it matters most: on the field. Veteran Nate Clements' contract has become untenable from cash and salary-cap standpoints. He'll need to take a pay reduction or the 49ers will release him. Clements has been generally solid for the 49ers and better than his harshest critics would suggest, but not good enough to justify his salary at this point. And the 49ers' pass defense has struggled by almost every measure, including one explored recently on the blog: Opponents posted a 118.4 passer rating when the 49ers sent five or more pass-rushers on first-and-10, up from 82.8 against four or fewer pass-rushers." The blitzes were effective when the 49ers produced sacks, but not when their secondary had to hold up with diminished resources. All the more reason to sign Asomugha.
The 49ers need a stadium. The 49ers made a splash earlier this offseason when they signed coach Jim Harbaugh to a five-year deal worth a reported $25 million. That was a flashy move and one the 49ers executed amid skepticism. Hiring a hot coaching candidate with strong ties to the Bay Area promised to give the 49ers some momentum in their continuing push to draw support for a new stadium. Landing Asomugha, a Cal graduate and the NFL's Man of the Year in 2009, would again demonstrate to fans the 49ers' seriousness about delivering a product worth their investment. How could anyone reasonably question the 49ers' credibility after landing Harbaugh and Asomugha in the same offseason?
The Charles Woodson effect applies. Asomugha turned 30 recently, so age could become a concern. But I also think Asomugha fits the Woodson profile closely enough to remain an effective defensive back as he ages, whether at corner or safety or a combination of the two. The NFL lists Asomugha at 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds, an inch taller and eight pounds heavier that Woodson. Woodson spent eight seasons with Oakland, collecting only one pick in each of his final two seasons there, before reemerging as an interception machine after moving to Green Bay. Asomugha has one pick in each of his last three seasons with Oakland. What's to say he couldn't return to his ball-hawking ways elsewhere?
The fit is a good one. The 49ers' new defensive coordinator, Vic Fangio, sought to build around a cornerback (Dunta Robinson) and a pass-rusher (Jason Babin) during his early years with the Houston Texans. The 49ers used their first-round pick this year for a pass-rusher. Asomugha would give Fangio the cornerback to build around.

Now, back to reality. The 49ers keep saying they won't become big players in free agency, and recent history makes them credible on the subject. They spent big for Clements and Justin Smith when they thought the roster needed serious patching. They've since pulled back, focusing more on re-signing their own top players.

Then again, the 49ers in general and Baalke in particular seemed to revel in keeping the team's draft plans secret this year. Few thought the 49ers would use the seventh overall choice for Missouri's Aldon Smith, and when they did, Baalke embraced a question about whether he took pride in keeping mock drafters off their trail.

"I think we take pride in the fact that there was no discussion outside of our own building," Baalke told reporters at the time, "and that says a lot about the quality of the people inside our building, that this stuff doesn’t get out."

If the 49ers plan to pursue Asomugha, they've done a phenomenal job hiding their intentions -- and a better job in assessing what they need as they build their roster and seek to get a new stadium built as well.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:37 am
Baalke has pretty much come out and stated that they won't be going over after any high-priced FAs, I am just hoping it's a smokescreen. Cutting Clements would pay half the salary to bring Nnamdi here.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:35 am
Let's hope he restructures.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:26 am
Some odd talk about Hasselbeck coming to the 9ers... I don't know how I feel about it. David Carr is not our answer as a veteran backup QB, but I doubt Hasselbeck is down to be a backup - even though his numbers and decline in performance certainly don't make a case for him to be a no. 1.

Smith will be our day 1 starter, he deserves it and his numbers over the past several seasons are actually better than Hasselbeck's.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:38 am
We just signed Jonathan Goodwin, pro-bowl center, to a 3 year deal. That's a great signing, since we lost Baas, and we don't have Heitmann anymore as well. Either way, Goodwin is an upgrade over both of them, a huge one.

And also, according to Schefter, we're favorites to land Braylon Edwards.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... on-edwards
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:11 pm
Whitner and Braylon are 49ers! Nice day for San Francisco fans. I like how this FA went in the end. Everyone was laughing how inactive we were, but apparently Baalke and our FO had a plan and knew who they wanted, so they waited to see how things are going to develop, and they avoided to overpay for some guys, and got good players still.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:19 pm
yeah, things are looking better for us, I'll lower my defcon level from "oh crap we'll be lucky to win 4 games" to "ok we might stand a chance in our crap division"

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:30 am
So the 9ers passed on Culpepper (thank god) and pick up a vet that has a little more upside in Josh McCown. I know McCown has been a journeyman and is coming off a decent showing in the UFL, but I'm curious what the Raider fans have to say about their former QB.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:47 am
I liked Culpepper when I started watching the NFL, and he was good back then. And even though he still has some abilities, and also quite a knowledge for a veteran QB, I'm also glad we passed on him. Journalists started making cases for him being the starter right off the bat, and talking thrash about both Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. So, I think that would only make the situation with our current QBs worse, and Daunte wouldn't have been a starter, but a backup. I'm quite positive that he would never had a chance to compete for the starting job.

McCown is a veteran QB who I think could help our young/rookie QBs on the roster with his experience, and we still would have a backup veteran QB who is not bringing that much media attention as Culpepper would.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:36 pm
Yeah it seems like a more practical and intelligent move. We certainly needed another vet and are stupid to have not picked one up weeks ago for the invaluable exp gained from camp.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board