San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:18 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
JReed23 wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
His likely replacement is veteran Hannibal Navies in the 49ers' 3-4 defense.

I would rather see Harralson, but it looks like we are going to go with Navies.

I dont want to see the 3-3-5 because I hate Shawntae Spencer.
Wow, whats wrong w/ spencer? I like him better than walt, he may not get as many picks but at least he doesn't run a 6.5 40. harris gets burned by every WR he faces at least once a game.

Regardless of what the "All Knowing" ESPN commentators say, I'm not sure well see all that much Navies. I could be wrong but I have a feeling that we'll see a lot of different fronts.

I hate Shawntae because he gets burned more than Walt. He is a guy that gets burned two or three times a game. Sometimes they are imcomplete passes, and sometimes they are deep bombs for touchdowns, but regardless, he gets burned too much. Walt doesnt get burned that much, and he can make a play with his hands, which is something Spencer cant do. Walt is an All-Pro, while Spencer hasnt been any more than a nickleback. I love him as a nickleback, but if we are relying on him to be more than that, we will be in trouble.

The 3-3-5 wont work because teams will run silly on us, anyway.
He had a really good season in 05 as our #1 CB, check the stats like 70+ tackles, 4 picks, 19 defended passes. Plus he is fast enough in situations if a WR gets a step on him he can recover. Walt can't recover, if a WR gets a step then it's over, same story when he was in Washington. Not saying Walt isn't good but he just needs help over the top or to be on the slowest WR.

Obviously no team would come out w/ a 3-3-5 against a 2 WR or running package, I wasn't saying that. But in some cases where we'd normally come out in a 3-4-4 against a 3 WR set (because Lawson can cover or help cover most slot WRs), we'll just throw in that extra DB.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:33 pm
I still dont trust Shawntae, and would much rather have Walt out there. I just dont trust him to guard a number one or two reciever for any team.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:03 am
xbaywarrior wrote: Even though Moore is a MLB, I'd rather have a lineup of Moore, Smith, Willis, Banta-Cain with Ulbrich as the MLB sub.

That doesn't sound bad at all. Not much of a pass rush presence (don't know much about Paris Haralson), but at least it looks solid.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:28 pm
They arent fast enough to play outside linebacker, none of them. Maybe Willis could, but that is it. It would be almost 4 middle linebackers out there.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:40 pm
TMC wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote: Even though Moore is a MLB, I'd rather have a lineup of Moore, Smith, Willis, Banta-Cain with Ulbrich as the MLB sub.

That doesn't sound bad at all. Not much of a pass rush presence (don't know much about Paris Haralson), but at least it looks solid.

Harlason was pretty impressive during the preseason of last year and this year. He was solid at the University of Tennessee during college. I think we'll see a lot of split time at OLB with Moore, Harlason, and Navies.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:22 pm
My thoughts on the Steelers game:

Rushing offense: F Non existant all game. They need to do something... draws, pitches, even outside handoffs. Running up the middle just hasnt been working right now.

Passing offense: C Smith showed that he can make a play, but needs to be more consistant. Needs more offensive line help.

Passing defense: B Great secondary play, but, as usual, no rush. When they could get to him, they couldnt tackle him.

Rushing defense: F F. F. Fricken F. They played terrible all game, and need to do something different.

Special teams: B Nedney, as usual, had a great game. Maurice Hicks is too slow to return kicks. He is terrible.

Final thoughts: Vernon Davis had a great game, especially in the first drive of the game. They were able to get him the ball. Sorry Bada, but right now, I am the biggest Bengals fan in the world. Also, go Browns.

One last thing: Vernon Davis' catch where he was called incomplete was the biggest bullshit call I've ever seen. He was tackled, and the ball came out after, and they call it incomplete? Come on....
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:39 pm
Yeah, I was sensing a loss entering this game, but I still thought they could pull it off. Good that they actually activated the passing game and placed Alex in the Shotgun, especially since Gore had nothing all day. They just couldn’t convert in the Red Zone, which pretty much did them in. Also, they had several foul-ups with the receivers not running the proper routes or with half-ass efforts. Davis had a much better game. Apparently, he talked to Nolan about being underutilized and showed him clips of being open, so they made a concerted effort to get him the ball more—and it showed. We had chances in this game, that's for sure.

But that incomplete call on that long pass to Vernon on that critical drive was definitely BS. That was a catch, with both feet touching the ground (to establish control), before the ball coming loose after he hit the ground. That BS call was a game changer. Another was that BS holding call on Clements (within 5 yards), which resulted in the Steelers getting an automatic first down, which led to another score.

But we should go longer stints with the shotgun as our base formation, to run and pass from, in changing things up. Gore gained pretty good yardage on that lone draw play from the shotgun. The shotgun definitely gives Alex more time to set-up, survey the defense better, and make better plays (because the the O-line is just not giving him enough time). When we get this down, we should be hitting Davis and Co. pretty regularly. Also, Gore needs to be a bit patient and wait for plays to develop and pick his spots, instead of just trying to bust it through the middle every time, which is usually clogged.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:01 pm
Honestly, I think that they should look at game film of U. of Florida and copy that offense. Alex used it in college, and he really reminds me of Tim Tebow in his speed and his arm strenght.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:23 pm
That incomplete pass ruling called was total BS. I've never heard a more dumber call. C'mon now the call should've been either fumble or 1st and Goal for the Niners. An incomplete pass is the worst to call during that situation. We should've had a TD than a FG.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:43 am
xbaywarrior wrote:That incomplete pass ruling called was total BS. I've never heard a more dumber call. C'mon now the call should've been either fumble or 1st and Goal for the Niners. An incomplete pass is the worst to call during that situation. We should've had a TD than a FG.

That's a pretty ridiculous call. It looked like a fumble to me. Although I can see a discussion between a fumble or 1st down for the Niners. But an incomplete pass?. How the f*ck can you call an incomplete pass in that play?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:32 pm
It wasnt a fumble because he was tackled and his shoulder hit the ground.

It was a little girl call by the ref. He took the easy way out.

The ref said it himself: "After reviewing the play, the reciever barely touched the ground with both feet." Didnt you just answer your own damn question? He barely touched the ground, which means its a catch! Go back to your stupid little ref school...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:35 pm
CjR wrote:Another was that BS holding call on Clements (within 5 yards), which resulted in the Steelers getting an automatic first down, which led to another score.

That was a good call. Within five yards, you can bump, but you still cant hold the guy, even if it is inside five yards. It was a useless penalty by Nate, but it was a good call.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:56 pm
I just heard that Vernon Davis got hurt on that play, and is going to be out for at least two weeks. Frick, man. Our entire season is falling apart with injuries to Lawson and Davis.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:11 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:I just heard that Vernon Davis got hurt on that play, and is going to be out for at least two weeks. Frick, man. Our entire season is falling apart with injuries to Lawson and Davis.

Yeah, that really sucks. :banghead:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:16 pm
Delanie Walker and Billy Bajema save us.

This offense needs to get more consistent and actually come alive while our pass rush needs to show up. Or else, this season could become even more disastrous.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board