San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:38 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:I'm just wondering why we haven't seen Ashley Lelie or Jason Hill yet. I mean yeah, Lelie is 4th on the depth chart, but hey he'd be a nice guy in the slot if Alex were to use the shotgun more often. Same goes for Hill... he's a deep threat. Nolan has yet to activate him for the game because he always puts him on the DNP list for coaching decisions.

Lelie hasnt been in the games. He didnt play against St Louis, and played like two plays against Arizona. For Hill, he wont play this year, unless someone gets hurt. Next year, he will need to fight for his spot.
Yeah Alex and the coaching staff really like Battle and DJack is only in there because he has a name for himself. Personally I would like to see Hill in over Lelie, he is faster and has a lot of potential, but it doesn't matter who the receivers are if Alex can't get the ball off, our o-line is killing us right now.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:00 pm
Who is it that has been getting burned? I've seen Staley get killed a couple times, but someone else has to be sucking it up, too. He only gets two seconds of time.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:16 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Who is it that has been getting burned? I've seen Staley get killed a couple times, but someone else has to be sucking it up, too. He only gets two seconds of time.

Smiley and Staley have been having trouble holding up. Heitmann has had some trouble too. Heck, even Jennings and Allen have had their troubles on the pass pro. They're not as good as last year on the run blocking either. They're okay thus far...
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:26 am
JReed23 wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:I'm just wondering why we haven't seen Ashley Lelie or Jason Hill yet. I mean yeah, Lelie is 4th on the depth chart, but hey he'd be a nice guy in the slot if Alex were to use the shotgun more often. Same goes for Hill... he's a deep threat. Nolan has yet to activate him for the game because he always puts him on the DNP list for coaching decisions.

Lelie hasnt been in the games. He didnt play against St Louis, and played like two plays against Arizona. For Hill, he wont play this year, unless someone gets hurt. Next year, he will need to fight for his spot.
Yeah Alex and the coaching staff really like Battle and DJack is only in there because he has a name for himself. Personally I would like to see Hill in over Lelie, he is faster and has a lot of potential, but it doesn't matter who the receivers are if Alex can't get the ball off, our o-line is killing us right now.

I've been waiting to see Lelie for a long time, they should put him in to stretch the field. He may not be as fast as hill but hes pretty long and he's got some soft hands. I would just like to see either one actually. Also, I really like how Battle has been doing pretty well.

I wish they could get it to Vernon more, I wanna see what he can do.

Its been kinda disappointing watching Gore dropping those little passes and things. Is he not getting blocking up front? He did have that fantastic run though that gave us the win. That was awesome. Condolences to him and his family for his mother.

Alex has been doing OK. I feel like he can do a lot better. I liked that charge towards the end of the Card's game. Well inspired! Especially after the first part of the game where he didn't really do much. I can see a little progress. Keep going Alex.

BIG BIG BIG ups to the defense for keeping us in games so far. I don't think I can say enough for them. We are vastly improved in that sector. P-Willie is frickin lighting it up. I like how he can go off camera, and then come from out of nowhere at stick it to somebody. Its so exciting to watch. Hes probably the most promising player to watch this season. I can't wait to see him develop.

Overall I feel like we've been kind of lucky to win these last two. I hope next time its more decisive. GO niners!
DUBBBIN’ !
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:10 am

Other's have answered already, but I want to add my take on this. I think I'm qualified to answer half the question:

1.- (Just a guess) Hill probably ain't ready to help much this season. I haven't followed him, but everything I've read seems like he won't be a factor til next year, at least.

2.- (An absolute truth). Lelie sucks. I mean, even Philip Buchanon was able to stop him last season.

Battle and D-Jax (drops and health aside) are good WRs. I wouldn't worry too much about Lelie and Hill. Just focus on Vernon's flaws. He should be the key to improve your passing game.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:55 am
xbaywarrior wrote:I'm
Its been kinda disappointing watching Gore dropping those little passes and things. Is he not getting blocking up front? He did have that fantastic run though that gave us the win. That was awesome. Condolences to him and his family for his mother.

Yeah those drops are due to his broken hand, you can tell that it is still bothering him, not only because those are catches he would have made a year ago, but because on 3rd downs they are bringing in hicks. last year gore was our goto guy on 3rd down, with the swing passes and screens - the few times we have run the screen and gore is able to make a grab then it is usually good for a 1st down. That was a bing deal last year in keeping drives alive for us, and building momentum - something we desperately need now.

Look for the screen this week though and lots of misdirection plays. The steelers are aggressive and love to send many blitzers from one side - this is the perfect style to run the screen against. and the fact we haven't been able to run that much this year just plays to our advantage, even though I have to believe they will still be looking for it.

lol heres a prediction - look for the Battle end-a-round wr pass to DJack, and DJack drops a wide open pass. I wouldn't be surprised. Wasn't is Notre Dame Battle played QB for? I'm pretty sure, either that or Penn.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:42 pm
Manny Lawson out for the year...ouch!
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3029152

-
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:53 pm
dubsfan1 wrote:Manny Lawson out for the year...ouch!

You said it well. Ouch... He was a bit of a disappointment last season, but he looked much better this year. It's a shame he won't be able to prove what he has for the rest of the year.

btw, if you have to rely on Hannibal Navies to replace him, you're in deep trouble.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:34 pm
Damn it... I do not want to see Hanibal Navies in the game...period. Maybe Brandon Moore can get some time?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:45 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Damn it... I do not want to see Hanibal Navies in the game...period. Maybe Brandon Moore can get some time?
Brandon moore and Naives are MLBs, we may see a few 3 MLB sets though since we are stacked at MLB - Smith, Willis, Moore and Ulbrich, but likely it will be mostly Parys Haralson - 2nd year guy filling in for Lawson.

This sucks but Lawson split time with other guys and will only be missed in the 3-4-4 front - look for more 4-3-4 and 3-3-5. Remember our D has some depth I think we'll be fine as long as we don't have any more starters go down.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:48 pm
His likely replacement is veteran Hannibal Navies in the 49ers' 3-4 defense.

I would rather see Harralson, but it looks like we are going to go with Navies.

I dont want to see the 3-3-5 because I hate Shawntae Spencer.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:09 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Wow, whats wrong w/ spencer? I like him better than walt, he may not get as many picks but at least he doesn't run a 6.5 40. harris gets burned by every WR he faces at least once a game.

Regardless of what the "All Knowing" ESPN commentators say, I'm not sure well see all that much Navies. I could be wrong but I have a feeling that we'll see a lot of different fronts.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:53 pm
JReed23 wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Wow, whats wrong w/ spencer? I like him better than walt, he may not get as many picks but at least he doesn't run a 6.5 40. harris gets burned by every WR he faces at least once a game.

Regardless of what the "All Knowing" ESPN commentators say, I'm not sure well see all that much Navies. I could be wrong but I have a feeling that we'll see a lot of different fronts.

I hate Shawntae because he gets burned more than Walt. He is a guy that gets burned two or three times a game. Sometimes they are imcomplete passes, and sometimes they are deep bombs for touchdowns, but regardless, he gets burned too much. Walt doesnt get burned that much, and he can make a play with his hands, which is something Spencer cant do. Walt is an All-Pro, while Spencer hasnt been any more than a nickleback. I love him as a nickleback, but if we are relying on him to be more than that, we will be in trouble.

The 3-3-5 wont work because teams will run silly on us, anyway.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:28 pm
Damn Lawson is out? That sucks. Huge blow to our pass rush because we don't really have one. Hannibal Navies at ROLB doesn't thrill me at all. I'd rather have Parys Harlason in. Even though Moore is a MLB, I'd rather have a lineup of Moore, Smith, Willis, Banta-Cain with Ulbrich as the MLB sub.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:38 pm
Moore cant guard the tight ends or backs. He is a great run stuffer, but cant do pass protection.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board