San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:42 pm
Telling Michael Lewis to stop hitting people and drop back in coverage is like telling Peyton Manning to scramble. Michael Lewis is a 5th linebacker out there, and is one of the hardest hitting safetys in the league. That is why he is on the team. I think that Mark Roman needs to step it up big.

I'm just not sold on our D-Line. They just cant seem to generate enough pressure on the QB.

When Alex starts playing well, everything will start opening up. Teams will start dropping guys back, and that is when you do a draw, not when you run the same damn run up the middle ten times in a row.

Vernon Davis needs to come on a rollout with Smith and hit him. Put him in a position to make a play.

Anyone else impressed with Bryant Young? Quietly, he is becoming one of the best pass rushers in Niner history. 2 sacks, and no one even notices. Props, BY.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:53 pm
I'm baffled at how little plays they run to Vernon Davis. The man has enough athletic ability to run a slant every single play and make something out of it.

Did anyone else see him get gang-hit by 2 guys running at full speed and not even flinch???
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:34 pm
Part of the reason that he cant get the ball is because he hasnt been able to get open. It isnt the O-Coordinator's fault.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:11 pm
32 wrote:Did anyone else see him get gang-hit by 2 guys running at full speed and not even flinch???

Yes. That was ridiculous. I also like watching him drag that DB about 5 yards before the rest of the Rams could get over there.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:10 am
Thunder wrote:I also like watching him drag that DB about 5 yards before the rest of the Rams could get over there.

I did see that play. Shows a lot of what he can do... although seems like he's not used properly. 2 passes in the whole game?.

I really can't comment much. Don't know if it's because he can't get separation or the play-calling doesn't focus enough on him or any other reason... Just that his stats look weird for the kind of player he can be.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:17 am
TMC wrote:
Thunder wrote:I also like watching him drag that DB about 5 yards before the rest of the Rams could get over there.

I did see that play. Shows a lot of what he can do... although seems like he's not used properly. 2 passes in the whole game?.

I really can't comment much. Don't know if it's because he can't get separation or the play-calling doesn't focus enough on him or any other reason... Just that his stats look weird for the kind of player he can be.

I'd say his lack of numbers are a microcosm for the struggles of the passing game - namely the lack of confidence in Smith by the coaching staff. Let the kid air it out a little, even if it means throwing a pick here or there, and in the long run it would be better for the team. Not to mention it would allow Davis to blossom if he had more touches.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:29 pm
Congrats to the Niners for a 2-0 start and 1st place in the NFC West.

Even though the Seahawks all but had the game won in Zona, they did not deserve to win that game.

But credit to the Niners as they could easily be 0-2 but despite being dead last in the league in offense, they have found a way to win two close ball games.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:51 pm
Davis just cant seem to get open. :?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:18 pm
badabing8888 wrote:Congrats to the Niners for a 2-0 start and 1st place in the NFC West.

Even though the Seahawks all but had the game won in Zona, they did not deserve to win that game.

But credit to the Niners as they could easily be 0-2 but despite being dead last in the league in offense, they have found a way to win two close ball games.

It's our defense. Clements, Harris, and Spencer are keeping receivers well covered. Willis and Lawson are getting on the plays. Our d-line is forcing the QB's out of the pocket which is not Leinart or Bulger's game. Other than that, we can call it 2-1 in Week 3 if our offense doesn't show up. Like Gore said, "Our offense is ugly, I want it to be more pretty."
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:59 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Davis just cant seem to get open. :?

Somehow, I have a hard time believing the fastest, strongest, most physically dominating TE in the league "isn't getting open".

The playcalling has to work itself into there somehow. 2 catches? That's not just Davis being covered; its a lack of passes in his direction due to plays primarily ran to Frank Gore or (on the off-chance that the Niners DO pass) Darryll Jackson. I haven't seen Vernon Davis utilized nearly enough.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:37 pm
Watch highlights of the game. You'll see that when they want to go to Davis, he cant get open. They should hand the ball off to him. :mrgreen:

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:33 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Watch highlights of the game. You'll see that when they want to go to Davis, he cant get open. They should hand the ball off to him. :mrgreen:

I agree... I was watching some highlights and he like runs into an area that is covered... We do need to get him the ball though, LINE HIM UP at full back if we need to!!!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:14 pm
I'm just wondering why we haven't seen Ashley Lelie or Jason Hill yet. I mean yeah, Lelie is 4th on the depth chart, but hey he'd be a nice guy in the slot if Alex were to use the shotgun more often. Same goes for Hill... he's a deep threat. Nolan has yet to activate him for the game because he always puts him on the DNP list for coaching decisions.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:51 pm
~W~ wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Watch highlights of the game. You'll see that when they want to go to Davis, he cant get open. They should hand the ball off to him. :mrgreen:

I agree... I was watching some highlights and he like runs into an area that is covered... We do need to get him the ball though, LINE HIM UP at full back if we need to!!!
Yes there are two reasons VD only has 4 recs in 2 games - it is well known that he has struggled at the ncaa and nfl levels at route running, he is horrible at finding a space in between zones and sitting where he needs to which is something every pass receiving TE needs to know how to do.

Alex smith is 26 for 48 passing with 7 sacks! when your qb can't get a pass off due to your under-achieving o-line then you wont get many looks nor catches.

I doubt the niners have what it takes right now to beat the steelers this weekend but i'm willing to bet that their offense actually does better this week even though they are facing one of the best defenses in the league. mainly because I believe they make some adjustments and put the ball in the air about 35 times, because even though our passing game is looking bad, w/o that long run by gore last week, our running game looks worse.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:22 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:I'm just wondering why we haven't seen Ashley Lelie or Jason Hill yet. I mean yeah, Lelie is 4th on the depth chart, but hey he'd be a nice guy in the slot if Alex were to use the shotgun more often. Same goes for Hill... he's a deep threat. Nolan has yet to activate him for the game because he always puts him on the DNP list for coaching decisions.

Lelie hasnt been in the games. He didnt play against St Louis, and played like two plays against Arizona. For Hill, he wont play this year, unless someone gets hurt. Next year, he will need to fight for his spot.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board