San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:43 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
bada wrote:Quite an article on the Niners. They need to just cut the cord on VD.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-morningrush102708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I love this article, however I find it funny that this guy has all this inside info and no other reporters have come up with this stuff. It makes you wonder if the beat writers are just too close to the situation and don't report fairly or if this guy is just making stuff up. I've always thought Maiocco was pretty fair and balanced, but this article makes me think he's been spending a little too much time rubbing elbows with guys in the FO.

The story was written by Michael Silver, not Maiocco. Silver is at least 10 years Maiocco's senior and is one of the top sports feature writers in the nation. He's been affiliated with the 49ers for nearly two decades and was formerly one of the senior writers at SI. Basically, in the world of sports writing, he's a total stud.

It's hard to compare his work, or that of Yahoo, to a newspaper beat writer. Maiocco follows this team for a living and has editors who sour at the idea of using unnamed sources to build an entire story. Silver covers the league as a whole and has so much cred and so many sources (especially in the Bay Area) where he can pull of a story of this caliber and not suffer any consequences.

All Star
» Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:08 am
StuckInSoCal wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
bada wrote:Quite an article on the Niners. They need to just cut the cord on VD.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-morningrush102708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I love this article, however I find it funny that this guy has all this inside info and no other reporters have come up with this stuff. It makes you wonder if the beat writers are just too close to the situation and don't report fairly or if this guy is just making stuff up. I've always thought Maiocco was pretty fair and balanced, but this article makes me think he's been spending a little too much time rubbing elbows with guys in the FO.

The story was written by Michael Silver, not Maiocco. Silver is at least 10 years Maiocco's senior and is one of the top sports feature writers in the nation. He's been affiliated with the 49ers for nearly two decades and was formerly one of the senior writers at SI. Basically, in the world of sports writing, he's a total stud.

It's hard to compare his work, or that of Yahoo, to a newspaper beat writer. Maiocco follows this team for a living and has editors who sour at the idea of using unnamed sources to build an entire story. Silver covers the league as a whole and has so much cred and so many sources (especially in the Bay Area) where he can pull of a story of this caliber and not suffer any consequences.

I know who they are and I understand that Maiocco may have some limitations as to what sources he can publish, however he came up with this point of view:

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/200 ... tions.html

And Silver came up with the exact opposite with good reason and good sources to back him up. Even if Maiocco couldn't publish with unidentified sources, he didn't need to come up with a completely opposite take on the situation. Either he's covering for the 49ers, Silver's "sources" aren't cooperating with the local beat writers, or Silver is making stuff up.

All Star
» Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:23 am
My guess is that Silver had information (probably a source or two) that Maicocco didn't have. Maicocco, to his defense, is also covering the game where Silver is writing a feature story and has the luxury of focusing on one specific block of words instead of a game story, notes box, blogs and whatever else Maiocco is required to write on game day.

I'm not even sure Silver was at the game. Perhaps he was to cover the Singletary story? Perhaps he simply reacted to the incident? Journalism is an interesting beast.

Franchise Player
» Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:13 am
I know someone who was with the Niners during training camp and his thoughts about VD echo some of what Silver was saying. Alot of his teammates are fed up with his behavior.

Additionally he said Vernon was a complete (in his words) "tree stump"

All Star
» Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:08 am
bada wrote:I know someone who was with the Niners during training camp and his thoughts about VD echo some of what Silver was saying. Alot of his teammates are fed up with his behavior.

Telling the true nature of players and people is a complicated thing. Reporters hear a million things and are charged with putting together a story that will inform and entertain while maintaining relationships. Just because one guy thinks someone else is a jerk doesn't make it so, but it also makes it more likely that the guy is actually a jerk.

I have mixed feelings on the responsibility of a beat writer in this regard. If given a choice between:

a) I know every little detail about the team but the facts hurt team chemistry and hinder the team;

b) I know nothing except what I see on the playing field and the team deals with personnel issues internally and wins more games.

I'll take B every time.

Franchise Player
» Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:31 am
StuckInSoCal wrote:
bada wrote:I know someone who was with the Niners during training camp and his thoughts about VD echo some of what Silver was saying. Alot of his teammates are fed up with his behavior.

Telling the true nature of players and people is a complicated thing. Reporters hear a million things and are charged with putting together a story that will inform and entertain while maintaining relationships. Just because one guy thinks someone else is a jerk doesn't make it so, but it also makes it more likely that the guy is actually a jerk.

I have mixed feelings on the responsibility of a beat writer in this regard. If given a choice between:

a) I know every little detail about the team but the facts hurt team chemistry and hinder the team;

b) I know nothing except what I see on the playing field and the team deals with personnel issues internally and wins more games.

I'll take B every time.

agreed. However this was not a reporter but rather a player. He has known VD for awhile as they were in the same recruiting class coming out of HS and played in the same conference. Granted he was not with the Niners too long and It is just his opinion and observations so certainly take it with a grain of salt but it does give some credence to the article about the pulse of the team regarding their feelings towards Davis.

All Star
» Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:18 pm
I think you can trust Michael Silver to write accurate information. The guy has always been top-notch. Yahoo is lucky to have him.

All Star
» Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:06 pm
haha, singletary droppin the pants! what's next. I read this on
mercurynews.com

For what it's worth, Singletary was dropping his drawers at about the same time the 49ers were honoring former linebacker Dan Bunz.

All Star
» Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:01 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:haha, singletary droppin the pants! what's next. I read this on
mercurynews.com

For what it's worth, Singletary was dropping his drawers at about the same time the 49ers were honoring former linebacker Dan Bunz.

Ha ha ha ha, that story is hilarious. Just for the record he was wearing boxers, he pulled his pants down and told the team they were getting raped (or something along those lines).

Franchise Player
» Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:haha, singletary droppin the pants! what's next. I read this on
mercurynews.com

Ha ha ha ha, that story is hilarious. Just for the record he was wearing boxers, he pulled his pants down and told the team they were getting raped (or something along those lines).

Yeah, he said he did it to illustrate how humiliating it was that their behinds were getting whipped on.

All Star
» Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:34 am
yeah, it's comical to me, it just sucks that the media is blowin it out of proportion.

All Star
» Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:09 am
RobDIKUM wrote:yeah, it's comical to me, it just sucks that the media is blowin it out of proportion.

That, my friend, is what the sports media does.

Role Player
» Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:13 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:yeah, it's comical to me, it just sucks that the media is blowin it out of proportion.

That, my friend, is what the sports media does.

Exactly.

The media doesn't seem to mind conducting a full post game interview at someones locker while they're buck nekkid'. :shock:

Role Player
» Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:48 am
mark the beginning of the hill era. theres no such things as the big play no more. its all about check downs and short gains. hill doesnt throw it long. and expect gore to get a sh!t load of touches. he better... cuz theyre a better, efficient offense wen he has at least 20 carries.

the only good thing bout JTO was his mobility. he could avoid sacks at times and/or getta first down. and he had some big plays occasionally, but had bad plays every game. if he actually learned how to read defenses nd hold on to the ball... we wouldnt be 2-6. we'd be at .500 or better.

arizona - shoulda
seattle - won
detroit - won
new orleans - loss
new england - shoulda
philly - shoulda
ny giants - loss
seattle - maybe

honestly we should be 5-3/4-4

Franchise Player
» Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:10 am
Alright Niner fans, it's mid-season(actually, it's passed now), and time for a mid-season progress report.

QB: Shaun Hill (JT O'Sullivan was benched, Alex Smith on IR)
Grade: D
Explanation: Hill is known as a short yardage guy who can move the ball. Nothing but a bunch of check downs and no big throw down the field. He'll get his first start this season. JTO was benched due to his inability to read coverages and butter finger hands. Alex Smith's career as a Niner appears to be over.

RB: Frank Gore (DeShaun Foster/Michael Robinson)
Grade: B
Explanation: Gore has had a solid season, thus far under Martz like predicted. He's not getting the carries he should be getting lately, but when he has, he's delivered. He's been a great target in the passing game as well. Foster and Robinson are rarely used.

FB: N/A (Zak Keasey on IR)

OL: Joe Staley, David Baas, Eric Heitmann, Tony Wragge, Barry Sims
Grade: F
Explanation: The o-line has not been able to protect at all. It gave JTO time at times, but they lead the league in given up sacks.

TE: Vernon Davis (Delanie Walker/Billy Bajema)
Grade: D-
Explanation: Davis has not been seen in the passing game at all. But he has been a terrific pass and run blocker.

WR: Issac Bruce, Josh Morgan, Bryant Johnson, Arnaz Battle, Jason Hill
Explanation: Bruce has had a decent season thus far along with Battle. Bryant continues to disappoint.

DL: Issac Sopoaga, Aubrayo Franklin, Justin Smith
Grade: C-
Explanation: Sopoaga has been a bit disappointing. Smith has been extremely versatile playing multiple positions, but he hasn't been much of the pass rusher yet. Ray McDonald has progressed well. Rookie Kentwan Balmer has rarely ever seen the field.

LB: Manny Lawson, Takeo Spikes, Patrick Willis, Parys Harlason
Grade: B+
Explanation: The lone bright spot on the team. Willis has continued to impress. Spikes has proven to be a solid pick up. Lawson hasn't had a great season, but he's done his job thus far.

CB: Nate Clements, Walt Harris, Donald Stickland, Marcus Hudson, Tarell Brown (Shawtae Spencer on IR)
Grade: C
Explanation: The secondary has been roughed up. Clements is respected and hardly ever thrown towards, so opposing teams pick on the slow Harris, or struggling Strickland/Hudson. Spencer has been missed.

S: Michael Lewis, Mark Roman
Explanation: Haven't heard of much from either player this season, so I'd assume they're doing their job. Yet, the secondary is getting exposed week after week, so I'll have to fault them for that.

K: Joe Nedney
Grade: A
Explanation: Has done his job on special teams. Good for him.

P: Andy Lee
Grade: A
Explanation: Once again, it's sad when your punter is one of the top 10 players on your team.

KR/PR: Allen Rossum
Grade: B-
Explanation: Had a punt return TD already and has done a decent-solid job on returns. Good pick up.

O-Coordinator: Mike Martz
Grade: D+
Explanation: The offense looks better than last year, but the terrible protection and lack of touches for Gore bring him down.

D-Coordinator: Greg Manusky
Grade:D-
Explanation: Soft play calling. His LB's have been the lone bright spot.

Head Coach: Mike Singletary (Mike Nolan fired)
Grade: Singletary is INC. Nolan is F
Explanation: Singletary has brought an aggressive nature to this team and opened many eyes. He's only coached one game so far, so we can't judge him yet. Nolan unable to get the job done once again was enough to show him the door.