Rockets acquire Scola

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:38 pm
Man would he have been a perfect PF in Nelly's system. Able to run the court and pass on a fast break, and at hte same time abuse people on the low post.

I think he will do wonders in Adelman's system.

I thought the rockets were fools in not taking McRoberts, but Aaron Brooks awesome SPL and this signing is making me change my mind on their off season. They also still have Modesto's Chuck Hayes!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:33 pm
Aaron Brooks! And we're not talking about the Raiders ex-QB. That kid was fun to watch offensively at Oregon. I'm not a Ducks fan because I'm a Golden Bears kid at heart, but I have to admit Houston got a good kid in Brooks.

No nothing of this Scola guy, though.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:17 am
xbaywarrior wrote:No nothing of this Scola guy, though.

You'll do soon... Scola is going to compete for making the all rookie team. He was, by far, one of the most dominating big man in Europe. Great signing by the Rockets. Now they're a top 4 team in my book.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:03 am
TMC wrote:

You'll do soon... Scola is going to compete for making the all rookie team. He was, by far, one of the most dominating big man in Europe. Great signing by the Rockets. Now they're a top 4 team in my book.

Rockets definately making good moves and I wonder what the Spurs were thinking getting rid of a great European prospect. They have done well keeping them so far. Houston might compete properly this time

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:52 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

Rockets definately making good moves and I wonder what the Spurs were thinking getting rid of a great European prospect. They have done well keeping them so far. Houston might compete properly this time

Apparently, Scola didn't want to go to San Antonio, thinking (correctly) that he wouldn't have many minutes with Duncan as starting over him.

It comes as a mild surprise, having Oberto and Ginobili there, but I guess playing time was important for him. And I think Houston is a great fit for his style. They'll have a great inside game with Yao and him.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:54 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

Apparently, Scola didn't want to go to San Antonio, thinking (correctly) that he wouldn't have many minutes with Duncan as starting over him.

It comes as a mild surprise, having Oberto and Ginobili there, but I guess playing time was important for him. And I think Houston is a great fit for his style. They'll have a great inside game with Yao and him.

That does make alot of sense. Rockets pull in and make the move, a move that could well finally break their 1st round hoodo, especially McGrady's

migya make the ring fall on ya

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:46 am
Spurs did it because they didn't want to pay 3 million buyout

kinda sad for a championship team. Then again they failed so sell out a couple of playoff games which is really pathetic.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:59 am
lakerfool wrote:Spurs did it because they didn't want to pay 3 million buyout

They couldn't pay that much, anyway. League rules do not allow to pay more than 0.5 million. Scola will have to pay the rest by himself.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:39 am
migya wrote:That does make alot of sense. Rockets pull in and make the move, a move that could well finally break their 1st round hoodo, especially McGrady's

McGrady has the first round curse... something you can't control... :banghead:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:34 pm
I like Scola...

:dontknow: I dunno if he makes the Rockets a Top 4 in the West, though...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:15 pm
32 wrote:I like Scola...

:dontknow: I dunno if he makes the Rockets a Top 4 in the West, though...

Not by himself, but I like all their moves so far (drafting Brooks was the most dubious, but seems like the kid is good). Adelman will make them a more dangerous team that they were under JVG, and T-Mac and Yao have lots of things to prove in the upcoming season.

PG.- Mike James/Alston/Brooks
SG.- T-Mac/Head/Bonzi Wells
SF.- Battier/Reed
PF.- Scola/Hayes/Novak
C.- Yao/Butler

I'd say that's a strong team. Deep, with a couple of big stars... They will improve from last season, that's for sure.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:26 pm
Mike James was a poison kiss, if you ask me...

He broke out on a Toronto team that wasn't fit to lick the scum off of Kobe's sneakers, then he went to Minnesota and that team sucked too, now he's heading to Houston. If the Rockets end up missing the playoffs (which I highly doubt they will), the evidence could be in on Mike James.

They'd be better off starting Alston.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:29 pm
They'd be better if they jettisoned both Mike and Skip and tried to get a pass first guy like Ridnour.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:03 pm
I dunno, I'd say Skip's just as pass-first as Luke.

The only difference is that Luke's got a sweeter outside shot and Alston can get to the basket better.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:17 pm
32 wrote:I dunno, I'd say Skip's just as pass-first as Luke.

The only difference is that Luke's got a sweeter outside shot and Alston can get to the basket better.

Maybe. Last year Skip took about 2.5 more shots but played more time also.

He also shot about 6% less than Luke, which could be why I notice his shots more.
Next

Return to Sports Board