Disspelling the theory that big men develop slowly

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:30 pm
I think he'll barely crack 10 points per game the first season. 10.7/8.6/1.7 is my guess. Eventually he'll probably be the best center in the league but he looks raw to me. His ability to just overpower people in college won't quite translate to the NBA and he didn't score that much in college. Maybe he comes out with a short jump shot or something when/if his hand is fully healed but I suspect he'll take some time to turn into a real star.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:00 pm
Those really are quite average numbers and not star numbers like Oden really is. Have to see when the time comes

migya make the ring fall on ya

Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:55 pm
cladden wrote:I think he'll barely crack 10 points per game the first season. 10.7/8.6/1.7 is my guess. Eventually he'll probably be the best center in the league but he looks raw to me. His ability to just overpower people in college won't quite translate to the NBA and he didn't score that much in college. Maybe he comes out with a short jump shot or something when/if his hand is fully healed but I suspect he'll take some time to turn into a real star.

Whoa! 10 and 9? For the most touted big man prospect since tim duncan? Lets remember, hes supposed to be the MOST NBA ready player in the draft, not a prospect. On his athleticism alone he should be able to get 16 and 10.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:49 am
Dubs4life wrote:
cladden wrote:I think he'll barely crack 10 points per game the first season. 10.7/8.6/1.7 is my guess. Eventually he'll probably be the best center in the league but he looks raw to me. His ability to just overpower people in college won't quite translate to the NBA and he didn't score that much in college. Maybe he comes out with a short jump shot or something when/if his hand is fully healed but I suspect he'll take some time to turn into a real star.

Whoa! 10 and 9? For the most touted big man prospect since tim duncan? Lets remember, hes supposed to be the MOST NBA ready player in the draft, not a prospect. On his athleticism alone he should be able to get 16 and 10.

We'll see. I don't think I've heard that he was the most NBA ready player in the draft. He looks like all athletic ability to me so far. I am sure he will be great but his moves look very raw to me still. Admittedly I've only seen him play a couple of games.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:24 pm
Chad Ford has been raving for months, claiming that Oden is far more skilled than most experts give him credit for. He also claims that Oden wasn't more offensively dominant due to his injured rist all season...

Chad Ford, of course, is an idiot. So take it or leave it, I guess.

Personally, I think Oden's way more talented than people are letting on. He can score with both hands, is extremely quick for a man of his size and weight, and has a physical advantage over pretty much every player he'll face (except, maybe, Dwight Howard).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:07 am
32 wrote:Chad Ford has been raving for months, claiming that Oden is far more skilled than most experts give him credit for. He also claims that Oden wasn't more offensively dominant due to his injured rist all season...

Chad Ford, of course, is an idiot. So take it or leave it, I guess.

When Chad Ford talks like that about a prospect, it adds a big question mark to him. Of course, it's Oden we're talking about. He may even survive the Chad Ford Curse (the second worst in pro sports after the Madden Curse). :wink:

I don't have any doubts Oden will have a good rookie year (and he'll be above 10 ppg for sure... although I can see the 9 boards), but guessing his numbers is gonna be tricky. His stats will change a lot pending on what happens with Randolph... and yeah, based on everything I've read coming out of Portland, I've changed my mind and think that, right now, they'll pick Oden above Durant (even tho Pritchard is still elated about KD)
Previous

Return to Sports Board