Re-Seeding in the playoffs.

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Should the NBA reseed teams after the first round?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes : 7

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:09 pm
Stern apparently came out and dismissed this as a possibility do to contracts with television studios and said "even if I wanted to do it I couldn't."

This seems like a cop out to me. Although it would have hurt the W's this year I would be all for reseeding matchups in the second round. It is foolish to have the Suns and Spurs play in the second round as well as the Pistons play the Bulls. I don't get why the NBA is so slow on this. The NHL made the switch a few years back and it has worked wonders for them. You want the marquee teams playing when it matters the most, which isn't the second round. I would be all for it, but I am curious as to what others think.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:36 pm
I like it the way it is right now. You get the best record of the league, then you deserve the easiest route to the finals. And if you lose to one of the lower seeds, then they deserve that route. I don't have any problem with the current seeding.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:39 pm
TMC wrote:I like it the way it is right now. You get the best record of the league, then you deserve the easiest route to the finals. And if you lose to one of the lower seeds, then they deserve that route. I don't have any problem with the current seeding.

I agree. Leave it as is. Casual fans (who only root for the bigger, more popular teams) can fuckin stick it. I want to see the matchups as they shape themselves.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:42 pm
yeah, it's already predictable enough. Prior to this year (in which in all likelyhood there will be a 3 v. 8 matchup in the conference finals) 95% of 1st seeds made the conference finals and 90% of second seeds did. By reseeding, it would just make it even more predictable and take away the ability for cinderella teams like the Warriors to go far.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:47 am
I'm with TMC, #32 and Pest! Leave it as is

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:12 pm
Agreed. Who doesn't love the cinderella stories in the NBA playoffs? Wouldn't you love to prove everyone wrong and make it to the dance? It wouldn't matter if you lost in the Finals, at least you made a helluva run to get there. I like those stories, they're much more inspiring for the young guns and many others.
Rookie
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:54 pm
I think the NBA playoffs should be east and west combined because then the two best teams (suns and spurs) won't meet in the western-SEMI finals!

It should be 1-16, with the 2 remainding teams playing eachother for the CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

=D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ :hello1: :hello1: :withstupid: (i just find that last emoticon funny)
Image Image
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:42 am
Jazz Punk Rocker wrote:I think the NBA playoffs should be east and west combined because then the two best teams (suns and spurs) won't meet in the western-SEMI finals!

It should be 1-16, with the 2 remainding teams playing eachother for the CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

That would make sense from that point of view, but I like it as it is. The east won't be forever as painfully sorry as it is right now. Nobody wanted the system to change during MJ's years in Chicago...
All Star
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:58 am
Yeah, as much as I am for reseeding combining the coasts seems overboard to me. Not that it wouldn't have the effect you stated, but I think a division of coasts/leagues is better for the game. Imagine what it would be like if baseball had 1-8 seeds for their playoffs?

But I think reseeding would make the regular season more important, and the NBA would lose the notion that "it isn't worth watching until the playoffs start." I can see why you guys are against it, but I am still slightly surprised.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:35 am
TMC wrote:
Jazz Punk Rocker wrote:I think the NBA playoffs should be east and west combined because then the two best teams (suns and spurs) won't meet in the western-SEMI finals!

That would make sense from that point of view, but I like it as it is. The east won't be forever as painfully sorry as it is right now. Nobody wanted the system to change during MJ's years in Chicago...
ooh...good point, if the knicks weren't so sorry and the Wizards were healthy i bet we wouldn't hear anything about reseeding. - EastCoast bias flashes its ugly face once again.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:00 pm
TMC wrote:

Yeah, but why not have the 16 best teams make the playoffs? And why not have the two best teams play in the finals? It's not as if people over in Washington are really happy about people in Chicago's success (because one common rationalle is that we need to keep interest in the NBA in both sides of the country).
ImageImage
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:35 pm
I wouldn't be suprised if they'd try to attempt to make the seedings just like the Sweet 16. The way it's going for sports, it could happen. I mean if NCAA Football is thinking about going to the NFL seedings format, then the NBA going to NCAA basketball seedings format wouldn't be suprising. The West would be majority if the top 16 teams made the playoffs rather than 8 from each conference.

If the NBA was in sweet 16 format but with 8 representing each conference, the Warriors would've faced the Bulls in the first round.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:58 am
The only thing I'd like to change is less games... 7 games take too long and are a way to prevent surprises, which makes the league boring til the best teams meet each other... or something unexpected (like this season's Dubs) happens.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:45 am
TMC wrote:The only thing I'd like to change is less games... 7 games take too long and are a way to prevent surprises, which makes the league boring til the best teams meet each other... or something unexpected (like this season's Dubs) happens.

No way! The whole point on playing more games is to find out which is the better team and deserving winner. Wouldn't change the 7 game format

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:01 am
migya wrote:No way! The whole point on playing more games is to find out which is the better team and deserving winner. Wouldn't change the 7 game format

:dontknow: The best thing about the NFL playoffs is the one game format. The team with the best record plays at home the whole playoffs except the SB. And it works pretty well. Much better than the NBA format, actually.

With that said, I don't think a 1 game format would work well for bball, but I'd like it to go no further than 5 games. 7 seems a bit too much, like the league is just trying to make more money.

But that may just be me.
Next

Return to Sports Board