NFL Draft

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:26 pm
As you may have heard, the lions are shopping their 2nd pick in the draft this year. Do you think your team will make the leap or drop to this pick. I am a niners fan, i sure as anyone else that i would trade up is possible to get calvin johnson. if we can give up our 11th pick, next years pick and a 2nd rounder this year, then i would do it.i know the 49ers talent will be much greater next year, our pick will only be decent. imagine having a offensive core of alex smith, vernon davis, frank gore, and calvin johnson
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:35 pm
Keep dreaming. To trade up, the Niners would have to send their first, second and next year's first rounder for him... It's too big of a drop to go to the 11th spot from 2nd.

btw, the Lions may be just testing the market. Joe Thomas has a lot of value there, and it's a position of need for them.
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:50 pm
Viz wrote:As you may have heard, the lions are shopping their 2nd pick in the draft this year. Do you think your team will make the leap or drop to this pick. I am a niners fan, i sure as anyone else that i would trade up is possible to get calvin johnson. if we can give up our 11th pick, next years pick and a 2nd rounder this year, then i would do it.i know the 49ers talent will be much greater next year, our pick will only be decent. imagine having a offensive core of alex smith, vernon davis, frank gore, and calvin johnson

They'd have to give up more than that to move up to #2 from #11
The NFL has a draft trade value chart, each pick is worth a certain number of points. It's more like this year's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th plus more, possibly even next year's 1st as well.

I love the potential CJ has, but the Niners have wayyyy too much needs to concentrate on one player. That team needs to fix its DLINE, specifically at DE...3-4 DE's like Adam Carriker or even Alan Branch (if he falls) would be good pickups. The middle linebacker position next to Brandon Moore needs to be addressed as well. Let's face it, despite Derek Smith's high tackle totals throughout his career, alot of that was based on the 4-3 scheme, not the 3-4 where the ILB's responsibility is wade through massive guards and go make plays in the backfield. Smith was better as a 4-3 MLB that contains the run. I don't even want to get into how poor of a tackler he is.

The Niners need to improve that line, or those FA signings like Clements and Lewis will be wasted.

If you want a WR, this is a deep draft for it. Potential keepers would be:

Robert Meachem (if they trade back into the first, he would be a good pickup in the 20s)
Dwayne Bowe (doesn't have the elite speed, but plenty physical would also be in the 20s)
Sidney Rice (horrible timed speed at the combine, but would be an intriguing pickup in the 2nd round, plus the Niners have Jerry Sullivan the best WR coach in the league)
Paul Williams (would be a great pick in the middle rounds---maybe there at the 4th) This guy has loads of potential, he just needs his head on straight.

I definitely see the 49ers picking up a WR or two in this draft, but trading up for CJ to the #2 spot is less likely. IF CJ falls to Tampa at 4, Jon Gruden WILL NOT TRADE and WILL DRAFT CJ.
23 hours of my day are spent wondering what to do with my hour of spare time...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:00 pm
ritchie wrote:IF CJ falls to Tampa at 4, Jon Gruden WILL NOT TRADE and WILL DRAFT CJ.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Then I'd be a happy guy. Would be better than sex... well, maybe not, but close. :mrgreen:

Branch would be a great fit for you, guys, but I doubt he goes past Miami (unless Quinn falls). Carriker wouldn't be a bad pick there. Pretty safe pick, actually. Okoye also has a chance to be available. Another options could be Patrick Willis, but #11 may be a bit high for him.
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:12 pm
TMC wrote:
ritchie wrote:IF CJ falls to Tampa at 4, Jon Gruden WILL NOT TRADE and WILL DRAFT CJ.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Then I'd be a happy guy. Would be better than sex... well, maybe not, but close. :mrgreen:

Branch would be a great fit for you, guys, but I doubt he goes past Miami (unless Quinn falls). Carriker wouldn't be a bad pick there. Pretty safe pick, actually. Okoye also has a chance to be available. Another options could be Patrick Willis, but #11 may be a bit high for him.

Branch has been talked about as falling actually instead of Carriker. Supposedly his "motor" leaves something to be desired. He came in a little chunky during the combine. Carriker is also being looked at closely by both Houston at #8 and Miami at #9. Carriker can easily be a 4-3 DT because of his size. As far as Okoye, mad potential, but the question with him is the ability to be a two gapper. Some "experts" say he is better suited as a 4-3 DT ala Bryant Young (he reminds me of BY alot). I actually think Okoye would be a great 3-4 DE. As far as Willis, I'm hesitant to draft MLB/ILB's that high, specially with someone like say Buster Davis available in the 2nd-3rd rounds, but Nolan and company fell in love with Willis during the Senior Bowl, and might take the chance on him. Also, Willis is really really good, If the Niners pass him up, Buffalo might just thank their lucky stars and grab him. The Rams are also high on him. The Niners recently stated that they will draft for BPA, so even taking a WR isn't out of a question, or a Tackle because Kwame Harris is absolutely awful.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:40 pm
ritchie wrote:The Niners recently stated that they will draft for BPA, so even taking a WR isn't out of a question, or a Tackle because Kwame Harris is absolutely awful.

Levi Brown?. I think it's too high for him, but Gruden has been talking wonders about this kid... and maybe Nolan might go for him if he decides he has more upside than any other available player at #11.
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:49 pm
TMC wrote:
ritchie wrote:The Niners recently stated that they will draft for BPA, so even taking a WR isn't out of a question, or a Tackle because Kwame Harris is absolutely awful.

Levi Brown?. I think it's too high for him, but Gruden has been talking wonders about this kid... and maybe Nolan might go for him if he decides he has more upside than any other available player at #11.

Yeah I agree on Brown. I personally like Joe Staley better.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:22 pm
Levi Brown? Hmm.... well, I wouldn't like him at 11. Kwame does suck, but I'd think Nolan and York would be smart enough to know who's the best player available exactly. They will be going after Landry if he's still there in my mind. One of those DT's would be a possibility also. The Niners can wait next round to draft a WR.

I do like that idea of the Niners moving up. Actually, there's been rumors that they were thinking about moving up to get CJ. It'll cost a bundle (especially since I know now what York likes to do when spending and trading).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:38 pm
Post here more often Ritchie, if just so we can see those pics :mrgreen:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:20 am
xbaywarrior wrote:Levi Brown? Hmm.... well, I wouldn't like him at 11. Kwame does suck, but I'd think Nolan and York would be smart enough to know who's the best player available exactly. They will be going after Landry if he's still there in my mind. One of those DT's would be a possibility also. The Niners can wait next round to draft a WR.

Landry won't be there. Would be a great pick, but he won't fall past Atlanta. And probably will be picked before.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if he's picked by the Cards. They need all the help they can get in that secondary.

Actually, to be honest, I'd love the Bucs to trade down a bit and grab him if CJ is not available. Our safeties were awful last year. Landry would be a big improvement for that unit. Gaines Adams wouldn't be a bad pick at #4, but I like Landry better.
Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:14 am
migya wrote:Post here more often Ritchie, if just so we can see those pics :mrgreen:

Hahaha, I'm tryin too. It's hard to post when I'm slammed at work.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:58 pm
TMC wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:Levi Brown? Hmm.... well, I wouldn't like him at 11. Kwame does suck, but I'd think Nolan and York would be smart enough to know who's the best player available exactly. They will be going after Landry if he's still there in my mind. One of those DT's would be a possibility also. The Niners can wait next round to draft a WR.

Landry won't be there. Would be a great pick, but he won't fall past Atlanta. And probably will be picked before.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if he's picked by the Cards. They need all the help they can get in that secondary.

Actually, to be honest, I'd love the Bucs to trade down a bit and grab him if CJ is not available. Our safeties were awful last year. Landry would be a big improvement for that unit. Gaines Adams wouldn't be a bad pick at #4, but I like Landry better.

I wouldn't mind the Niners moving down to get Reggie Nelson at a cheaper price. He's pretty impressive and has suddenly getting more media attention than Landry lately. I don't mind players from Florida, football products coming from there sure do play well in the NFL... i.e. Ed Reed (he came from The U, but Florida, Florida State, and Miami produce one of the best talents ever seen).

Atlanta is probably not going to pass on Landry, but with the loss of Kerney and health questions still on Abraham, I wouldn't be suprised if they tried for Jamaal Anderson.

The Cards could use a safety to help Wilson, but I think they'll go with a defensive tackle or end.

I was just suprised that your Bucs chose to keep Rice over Dewayne White. He's a rising star, I don't see why they'd choose one more year of Rice over years of White.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:14 am
xbaywarrior wrote:I was just suprised that your Bucs chose to keep Rice over Dewayne White. He's a rising star, I don't see why they'd choose one more year of Rice over years of White.

Easy, Rice is an expirer the next season, and that'll free up $10 million of cap for next year. Also, if healthy, he's still able to put a 10+ sacks season.

On the other side, while White is a good young player, he's not worth $29 million... The Lions overpaid for him, as that was their only way to get him.

Also, the Bucs usually don't franchise their own players (and the tenders are also rare, although more usual). Actually, I cannot remember the last time a Buccaneer was franchised. That makes for a fair offseason for the players... and also brings players to Tampa, as they know the team won't be a problem if they want to test free agency.

With that said, the team doesn't allow anybody under contract to go or talk with anyone (with the only exception of assistant coaches or coordinators interviewing for a Head Coach position... but only to become head coaches).

btw, if anybody wants a Superbowl ring, Marquise Walker is selling his on E-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170084002148&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/170084002148_W0QQcatrefZC5QQfclZ3QQfromZR7QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0QQsacatZQ2d1QQsofocusZbsQQfviZ1

Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:44 pm
Hopefully the raiders pickup CJ in the draft and get a vet QB via free agency. Hopefully Carr, but he might not be interested. Soon as we get our oline fixed the sooner we'll start winning.

Return to Sports Board