The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:09 pm
I think all that talk about "saving the younger generation" is BS. How many of us >25 year-olds have been told our whole lives not to smoke or drink... and then, first chance we get, we try it just to see what all the hype was about? Honestly, putting so much emphasis on steriods will probably glorify the subject, to some degree. If up-and-coming baseball players think it'll give them a 70-HR-season, you'll see a helluva lot of players chomping at the bit to juice up. If you ask me, the media is doing nothing but breeding a new generation of steriod users. :roll:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:24 am
Yeah, well... I've said what I've needed to say. Those motherf*ckers can go b*tch in the corner while sucking their little smeckle's crying in a fedal position. In other words, it's not the athletes sending the wrong message, it's the media. They're the steroids, they're the drug. Once you're targeted, they won't stop until you're finished.

Btw, in MLB 2k7, do you have Barry Bonds in there? Or do you have a Joe Young fella? He has the same batting stance as Barry, he's the same age, has the respectable attributes for fielding and batting. Did they forget couple guys? Because I was trying to find guys like Dice-K. Even with the downloaded online rosters off Xbox Live didn't change much from what was there before.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:55 pm
I immediately edited Joe Young to be more like Barry Bonds, in 2K7. No mods to his attributes (I don't think any are needed, quite frankly), but the cosmetic changes were huge. It not only included his name, but his batting stance (always left, as opposed to the defaulted switch), his throwing arm (also left), his height, and his weight. I made similar changes to 'Todd Lincoln' (aka, Tim Lincecum) on the AAA Fresno team.

Dice-K, far as I know, isn't in the game.
Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:33 pm
Another wasted performance by Matt Cain. D@mn our bullpen is hideous.
23 hours of my day are spent wondering what to do with my hour of spare time...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:35 pm
ritchie wrote:Another wasted performance by Matt Cain. D@mn our bullpen is hideous.

People are mad at the bullpen; I'm pissed at Bochy!

Barry Zito also had a shutout going... and Bochy yanked him after the 6th! Matt Cain is in his 2nd full season as a pro. I'm pretty sure the Giants don't need to worry about conserving his arm yet. What's the point in yanking him after 7 innings when he's got the Rockies totally locked up?

The bullpen is terrible... but I credit Bochy Cain's loss. The guy is overmanaging, like Dusty Baker in the Series. :roll:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:31 pm
Yeah, forget the arm. I don't understand, when your pitcher is pretty much owning the other team and it's still early, wouldn't you keep him in there until at least the 8th? Hell, even let him throw a complete game. Last time Cain threw a gem, the offense lacked. But this time, the bullpen made you hold your breath.

Going back the the Fall Classic, I was wondering why even though he may have not been fully rested that why he didn't start Schmidt. It was said because Baker wanted Schimdt to pitch whenever Benito Santiago was the catcher instead of Torrealba, but still.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:10 pm
**** it, lets put lincecum in the pen. i got a bad feeling about our pen as it stands now.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:49 pm
Lincecum is straight up dominating the minors according to what I've read. We should call him down sometime soon.

C'mon Sanchez! Keep us alive! Let the bay experience the Warriors winning and making it to the postseason. The A's winning. The Sharks winning. And hopefully, the Giants too!

Haha, that was hilarious. Pujols tries to steal home, Molina bobbles the ball, and barely gets AP out. Great play. Sanchez is kickin' ass though.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:02 am
I'm all for Jonathan Sanchez & Tim Lincecum going to the bullpen... the problem is, I want them to get as much experience as possible and I dunno how much action they'll see in the pen. :oops:

But, hey, I'd be down for it. :thumbleft:
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:37 pm
Yeah, the Giants bullpen blows!

The A's have one of the best bullpens around! Let's go Oakland! :D
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:45 pm
JayPat wrote:Yeah, the Giants bullpen blows!

**** that. I can't root for Oakland. I'm a Giants boy, through and through. :wink:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:03 pm
32 wrote:
JayPat wrote:Yeah, the Giants bullpen blows!

**** that. I can't root for Oakland. I'm a Giants boy, through and through. :wink:

They also have an ex-Dodger on their team, Mike Piazza, which wants you to not root for them even more.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:51 pm
I grew up a A's fan, played Babe Ruth in Oakland where I pitched against Brian Johnson, Went to A's games all the time in the bleachers back in the Crazy George days, I would go early to the games to catch BP balls & sell them after the game, but I soured on the A's because of Billy Bean, I was a big Rickey Henderson fan & didn't like that he wouldn't even give Rickey a shot to make the squad in spring training after Rick went to fan fest & begged for a chance, said he would play for the minimum salary and donate it, that year the A's were in need of a veteran with playoff experience & needed a lead off hitter who could get on base but Beane still salty that his only year in the MLB was cut short because a mid season trade with the Yankee's brought Rickey back to the A's to take over LF, the same position Billy wished he could play but instead was forced to ride pine on the bench & watch Rickey snap catch, So instead Billy signed older Ron Gant which lasted 2 months & the A's faltered in the playoffs because of bad base running by Jeremy Giambi... KARMA

Go Giants :mrgreen:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:43 pm
O.G. Broe wrote:I grew up a A's fan, played Babe Ruth in Oakland where I pitched against Brian Johnson, Went to A's games all the time in the bleachers back in the Crazy George days, I would go early to the games to catch BP balls & sell them after the game, but I soured on the A's because of Billy Bean, I was a big Rickey Henderson fan & didn't like that he wouldn't even give Rickey a shot to make the squad in spring training after Rick went to fan fest & begged for a chance, said he would play for the minimum salary and donate it, that year the A's were in need of a veteran with playoff experience & needed a lead off hitter who could get on base but Beane still salty that his only year in the MLB was cut short because a mid season trade with the Yankee's brought Rickey back to the A's to take over LF, the same position Billy wished he could play but instead was forced to ride pine on the bench & watch Rickey snap catch, So instead Billy signed older Ron Gant which lasted 2 months & the A's faltered in the playoffs because of bad base running by Jeremy Giambi... KARMA

I was there at that game... but the A's right now are good and could make a deep playoff run. The Giants blow right now! Even you Giants fans can't deny. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:59 am
JayPat wrote:
O.G. Broe wrote:I grew up a A's fan, played Babe Ruth in Oakland where I pitched against Brian Johnson, Went to A's games all the time in the bleachers back in the Crazy George days, I would go early to the games to catch BP balls & sell them after the game, but I soured on the A's because of Billy Bean, I was a big Rickey Henderson fan & didn't like that he wouldn't even give Rickey a shot to make the squad in spring training after Rick went to fan fest & begged for a chance, said he would play for the minimum salary and donate it, that year the A's were in need of a veteran with playoff experience & needed a lead off hitter who could get on base but Beane still salty that his only year in the MLB was cut short because a mid season trade with the Yankee's brought Rickey back to the A's to take over LF, the same position Billy wished he could play but instead was forced to ride pine on the bench & watch Rickey snap catch, So instead Billy signed older Ron Gant which lasted 2 months & the A's faltered in the playoffs because of bad base running by Jeremy Giambi... KARMA

I was there at that game... but the A's right now are good and could make a deep playoff run. The Giants blow right now! Even you Giants fans can't deny. :mrgreen:

#1, the Giants are rebuilding right now. Rather than waiting for Barry to retire, they're starting over now. And the best part is: they're building their team RIGHT. They have excellent young arms that are sure bets to turn into big league threats (Cain, Lincecum, Sanchez), along with signing a few key veterans (Zito, Morris, Molina). Once Bonds and Bennitez' money is off the books, the Giants will sign a new marquee star hitter and the G's will be back in business. A-Rod, anyone...? :mrgreen:

#2, We don't abandon our team, even when it's doing poorly. If that were the mentality, why would we also be Warriors fans?

#3, The A's are an excellent team... but are still regarded as the #2 team in the Bay. The Oakland A's are an excellent example of how performance isn't everything. By any baseball standard, the A's are a better team than the Giants. But the Giants have a strong tradition, a loyal fanbase, an excellent ball park, the best commentators in modern sports, and (like him or not) the most popular player in the MLB today. Even though the A's would win, in a head-to-head game, the Giants are still more popular because they do everything else better... so I can't wait for the Giants, 2 years down the line, with a matured Cain, a new star hitter, and Lincecum tearing it up. They'll be big time. Just watch.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board