The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:55 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:58 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:With pitching, you must keep Lopez (1.45 ERA as giant), Rodriguez (0.70), Romo, and Wilson. Those are the untouchables in relief. Remember, Bumgardener will be a reliever as well, so that makes 5. I believe the giants will use a 4 man rotation versus the typical three we see in the playoffs. Lincicum, Cain, Sanchez, Zito (my preferred order). That right there makes 9 players.

Now the tricky part. If the team chooses to bring 11 pitchers, it must decide the final two relievers. Santiago Castilla has played well with the team, so i would elect to have him there. Now the final spot. If the team needs another lefty (it already has 2 in lopez and bum.), it has the choice of the inconsistant Affeldt or Runzler, who is playing decent. If they want another righthander, they can choose Ray or Mota. Of those four, I would take the gamble on Affeldt IF he is healthy. He hasn't been all year, so i am a bit skeptical. But if they do a bullpen session and he looks fine, then i want him to make the roster.

However, this relief is so strong, i wouldn't be shock if Bochy pulls a 10 man pitching rotation for the division series (as its only 5 games), and chooses to bring 11 pitchers for the other 2 series. Having the extra batter can be useful in a shorter series.


I think we're on the same page Crackerz, I would take Affeldt over Runzler. So Ramirez, Lopez, Affeldt, Casilla, Romo, Wilson. I'd put Zito as long relief in the pen. I don't think Bochy will do a 3 man staff, through all the playoffs. If Bumgarner is rotated in and out of starting rotation, he may go to long relief. If you go 12 man, then you'll have to eliminate 2 players from these position players: Rowand, Ross, Schierholz, Isshikawa, Fountenot or Renterria.
War Years

Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:55 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:10 pm
REJOICE!, What a game! Kudos to the SanChez's, Huff, and the kick ass bullpen.It looks like Pablo's got his stroke back. After that lame call on Torres's leadoff double, I had my doubts but it seemed like alll the well hit balls were consistently the Giants after that.

I'm not sure if I'd go with a 3 man staff for Atlanta, but my 4th guy is definitely Bumgarner. It is disgusting when your most experienced pitcher and the only starter with real playoff experience walks 2 runs in in the first inning.

The Giant story is an intriguing one, but then I suppose there are a lot of intriguing team stories that never make it to the World Series.
We have 2 basic weaknesses ,1) a patchwork quilt of about 5 .270-.280 hitters with fair power, and a couple of 25 homer/ .250 hitters. It's no wonder we go on these bats on/bats off streaks. We need to get a nucleus of guys batting consistently for the playoffs. 2) We got a dynamite pitching staff with little playoff experience. Let's hope they can overcome their jitters and show their mettle like they did today.

Like it or not, the Giants are the best ticket in the Bay Area until 2013
War Years
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2566
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:37 am
Damn, nothing ever comes easy for us... Glad we got it done though, bring on the Braves! I'll be rabidly cheering for the Reds as well, I doubt they'll be able to do it, but if they take that series, we could potentially have home field advantage throughout!

Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:55 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:06 pm
I think you can make a good case for not keeping Zito on the playoff roster. IMO It would be harmful to keep a 5 man rotation. Zito’s the obvious one to leave out. The biggest problem would not be from the fans but maybe the players, as Zito has taken every start since April. I don’t know what the precedent is, as far as playing the best 25 despite what’s gone on in the regular season.
As I said in an earlier post, IMO we should go with 11 man pitching staff and eliminate Mota, Ray and Runzler. Zito being a starter, in my mind would be be the best choice for long relief. Though I’m not really sure that you couldn’t make a case that one of those other long rmiddle inning pitchers have more experience, so one of them should stay. On the other hand. You are going to have to keep Zito as your 5th starter next year, whereas I would assume both Mota and Ray will be gone??? I don’t know.

I tend to want to go with a 4 man starting staff. If we go into game 4 in Atlanta ahead 2-1, I think it would be best to go with Bumgarner because he has had good success away from AT&T, and save Timmy on a full 4 days rest should we need to go to game 5.If we are down 2-1, and our backs to the wall going in game 4, I say pitch Timmy on 3 days rest..
War Years

Rookie
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:59 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:02 pm
Timmy, Cain, Sanchez... IN THAT ORDER PLEASE....

warm up you BP in the 5/6th inning when Sanchez is pitching

As far as hitters... can't leave your hottest Pinch Hitter Nate S. off the roster. Its true, he sucked it up as a regular but DAMN CLUTCH as a pinch hitter and you will need that!

Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:55 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:50 am
Of the position players, I'm starting to think I'd cut Ishikawa, I know he's been a good pinch hitter for us. I see where he was 11 for 23 up to the begiining of August, but I think he's cooled off quite a bit in the last few months. ( Does anybody have a source for pinch hitting average.? ) He was pretty hot around May- June but his average has done a steady downturn over the summer. I do think if we have to substitue for Huff, ( And I'm not sure why, unless he gets injured ) there is always Sandoval, and Bochy could give Posey a break and play him at first, if he wants to play Whiteside.
Then there's Renterria, it would almost be a blessing if he's injured. We do have Uribe and Fountenot to take his place. Though it is true, he's had some great post season clutch hits in his career.
Though Bochy does favor Ishi and Schierholz as 1-2 pinch hitters. I think Rowand has a knack for coming through right when you count him out. He can get even get hot for several of games until he goes back to being Rowand. He's also still a solid centerfielder.
Bochy supposedly likes veterans, but I could also see him cut Zito, Rowand or Renterria. It will be interesting to see who he cuts.
War Years
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2566
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Here is my 25 man roster:

C- Posey/Whiteside
1B - Huff/Sandoval
2B - Sanchez/Fontenot
SS - Uribe/Renteria
3B - Sandoval/Uribe
LF - Burrell/Ross
C - Torres/Rowand
RF - Guillen/Schierholtz

Rowand stays because he can go deep. Renteria stays because he is probably our best defensive option at SS and Uribe might move over to 3rd. Fontenot deserves it. We need more speed and D in the out field with liabilities like Burrell and Guillen, so Schierholtz stays.

That's 14

Starting pitching:
Timmy
Cain
Sanchez
Bumgarner
Zito - Will see some relief work most likely.

That's 19

Relief:
Ramirez
Lopez
Romo
Wilson
Casilla
Runzler - over Ray because he is a lefty and the 1st 4 RPs are completely untouchable, but Zito might make him expendable.

That's 25

I suppose if Bochy is desperate to get Ishikawa a roster spot Sandavol could sit out or an outfielder like Nate of Rowand, but we need the defensive depth and speed those guys have. Plus Sandavol has MLB starts at 3 infield positions - the extreme is dropping Whiteside and having Sandavol as an emergency catcher :shock: .

I'm probably too light on my relief pitching, but since it is the playoffs and starters will most likely get work out of the bullpen, plus our offensive inconsistencies, and when you consider that Wilson can go 3+ outs any night, I wouldn't be surprised to see only 6 relievers.

Moderator
Posts: 5356
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:22 pm
I approve your 25 man roster, Jreed.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:55 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:32 pm
JREED23 wrote:Here is my 25 man roster:

C- Posey/Whiteside
1B - Huff/Sandoval
2B - Sanchez/Fontenot
SS - Uribe/Renteria
3B - Sandoval/Uribe
LF - Burrell/Ross
C - Torres/Rowand
RF - Guillen/Schierholtz

Rowand stays because he can go deep. Renteria stays because he is probably our best defensive option at SS and Uribe might move over to 3rd. Fontenot deserves it. We need more speed and D in the out field with liabilities like Burrell and Guillen, so Schierholtz stays.

That's 14

Starting pitching:
Timmy
Cain
Sanchez
Bumgarner
Zito - Will see some relief work most likely.

That's 19

Relief:
Ramirez
Lopez
Romo
Wilson
Casilla
Runzler - over Ray because he is a lefty and the 1st 4 RPs are completely untouchable, but Zito might make him expendable.

That's 25

I suppose if Bochy is desperate to get Ishikawa a roster spot Sandavol could sit out or an outfielder like Nate of Rowand, but we need the defensive depth and speed those guys have. Plus Sandavol has MLB starts at 3 infield positions - the extreme is dropping Whiteside and having Sandavol as an emergency catcher :shock: .

I'm probably too light on my relief pitching, but since it is the playoffs and starters will most likely get work out of the bullpen, plus our offensive inconsistencies, and when you consider that Wilson can go 3+ outs any night, I wouldn't be surprised to see only 6 relievers.


C- Posey/Whiteside
1B - Huff/Sandoval
2B - Sanchez/Fontenot
SS - Uribe/Renteria
3B - Sandoval/Uribe
LF - Burrell/Ross
C - Torres/Rowand
RF - Guillen/Schierholtz
That's 14

Ok It's a little confusing because you're listing Sandoval and Uribe twice. I don't think there's much need to list backups as you have players such as Fountenot and Sandoval that can play 3 positions, and Posey , Uribe, Huff, who can play 2. So you agree with me Ishikawa is probably the position player to go.
I'd probably prefer Affeldt over Runzler because of his experience and the fact that last year, he was untouchable. Though as I said before, I do like Runzler.
War Years

Moderator
Posts: 5356
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:51 am
War Years wrote:
JREED23 wrote:Here is my 25 man roster:

C- Posey/Whiteside
1B - Huff/Sandoval
2B - Sanchez/Fontenot
SS - Uribe/Renteria
3B - Sandoval/Uribe
LF - Burrell/Ross
C - Torres/Rowand
RF - Guillen/Schierholtz

Rowand stays because he can go deep. Renteria stays because he is probably our best defensive option at SS and Uribe might move over to 3rd. Fontenot deserves it. We need more speed and D in the out field with liabilities like Burrell and Guillen, so Schierholtz stays.

That's 14

Starting pitching:
Timmy
Cain
Sanchez
Bumgarner
Zito - Will see some relief work most likely.

That's 19

Relief:
Ramirez
Lopez
Romo
Wilson
Casilla
Runzler - over Ray because he is a lefty and the 1st 4 RPs are completely untouchable, but Zito might make him expendable.

That's 25

I suppose if Bochy is desperate to get Ishikawa a roster spot Sandavol could sit out or an outfielder like Nate of Rowand, but we need the defensive depth and speed those guys have. Plus Sandavol has MLB starts at 3 infield positions - the extreme is dropping Whiteside and having Sandavol as an emergency catcher :shock: .

I'm probably too light on my relief pitching, but since it is the playoffs and starters will most likely get work out of the bullpen, plus our offensive inconsistencies, and when you consider that Wilson can go 3+ outs any night, I wouldn't be surprised to see only 6 relievers.


C- Posey/Whiteside
1B - Huff/Sandoval
2B - Sanchez/Fontenot
SS - Uribe/Renteria
3B - Sandoval/Uribe
LF - Burrell/Ross
C - Torres/Rowand
RF - Guillen/Schierholtz
That's 14

Ok It's a little confusing because you're listing Sandoval and Uribe twice. I don't think there's much need to list backups as you have players such as Fountenot and Sandoval that can play 3 positions, and Posey , Uribe, Huff, who can play 2. So you agree with me Ishikawa is probably the position player to go.
I'd probably prefer Affeldt over Runzler because of his experience and the fact that last year, he was untouchable. Though as I said before, I do like Runzler.


although i wish i can agree with you War Years, Affeldt didn't look to great on the final week of the season. He doesn't look like the Affedlt from last year.

However, i think boch will pick him over Runz.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:55 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:22 am
Both Runzler and Affeldt were kind of shaky, then they both got injuried and haven't returned to their old form.

As far as who Bochy will cut, This experiece question is interesting. Are we to believe the Bochy of late who pinch hits Schierholz and Ishikawa before Rowand, and Renterria ( or is it because Renterria's injured? ) Ross, or even Sandoval (who we all agree is back. )
If we're to believe the Bochy of late, Rowand, Zito would be gone. Would he actually bring in Mota as an experienced long reliever and shun Zito?
Then I heard yesterday that he has backtracked and hasn't ruled out starting Zito??? WTF!
I think he likes misdirection. There is politics involved in leaving Zito out. He will be our 5th starter next year, We have no choice. On the position player end. We have a small chance of shedding Rowand, and Renterria's not coming back.
War Years
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2566
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:50 am
Affeldt should not go, we all knew that the would get some opportunities down the stretch to prove that he deserves a spot and he blew it. Runzler has been pitching much better - not just lately but all year. I understand that having some playoff exp with Affeldt would be nice but, Dan's the man. Hell, neither could go (doubt that) since Zito and/or Mad Bum will almost certainly be seeing work out of the bullpen now with our starting rotation declared, we might just toss Ray in there or Mota since we'll have plenty of lefties both of those guys will give you more innings in case we need to go deep into the bullpen.

I think listing the backups is absolutely necessary because, at this point, I think the odds of Uribe starting at 3B is about 40/60 and Sandoval taking a seat - especially if Panda goes something like 0-4 on Thursday, he'll only see the plate again as a pinch hitter. Saying Panda and Fontenot can play 3 positions is a little misleading - You can't seriously believe that we'll depend on either those guys playing anything but 3B/1B and 2B respectively.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2566
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:01 am
i think you need to go check out Runzler's numbers: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/runzlda01.shtml I don't know what you mean by shaky but the guy hasn't given up a run since he's been back from his injury. Also, what "old form" you are referring to? The guy didn't look too great earlier this year, and only had 11 games before this season... Truth is, Runzler looks better after his injury and Affeldt does not.

You're probably right about the games Boch is playing with Zito and the roster, but last I checked the Braves were a pretty lefty heavy lineup so I wouldn't be surprised to see Zito and/or Mad Bum get a start.

Moderator
Posts: 5356
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:07 am
remember war years, boch is decieving the media to get to the Braves. If boch was completely honest with his rosters, then that gives an advantage to the Braves.

So Boch will release the rosters at the deadline, just like atlanta.

Here is my ideal starting roster and lineup.

CF: Torres (speed starts off)
C: Posey (best hitter, needs to bring torres home)
1st: Huff (2nd best hitter, decent base runner)
SS: Uribe (homerun or bust)
LF: Burrell (homerun or bust)
2nd: Sanchez (need a quicker, solid hitter later down in the lineup)
RF: Guillen (he is my biggest question mark... either him or Ross here)
3rd: Panda (works well on the 8th spot)
P: Pitcher's Spot

Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:55 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:09 pm
JREED23 wrote:i think you need to go check out Runzler's numbers: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/runzlda01.shtml I don't know what you mean by shaky but the guy hasn't given up a run since he's been back from his injury. Also, what "old form" you are referring to? The guy didn't look too great earlier this year, and only had 11 games before this season... Truth is, Runzler looks better after his injury and Affeldt does not.

You're probably right about the games Boch is playing with Zito and the roster, but last I checked the Braves were a pretty lefty heavy lineup so I wouldn't be surprised to see Zito and/or Mad Bum get a start.


Affeldt would be nice but, Dan's the man.
Whoa, well I can't argue with that logic.
Your second post is better. I'm aware of Runzler's stats, and nothing in that page jumped out at me.
Also, "what "old form" you are referring to?
Wow, how quickly you forget, Affeldt was a stud last year as our setup man. He had an ERA of 1.73! At one particular point when Wilson was shaky there were a number of people who thought that they should give him a shot at closer.
I'm sorry you didn't like the word "shaky" but both Runzler and Affeldt had control problems earlier. I don't think either of them have pitched enough in the last month, to really evaluate if they've come back. The sample is pretty sparce with both of them but Affeldt has pitched twice as many innings. I'd like Runzler, I think he's got a future with us. But I hope you won't get too upset if Bochy picks Affeldt because he just had a kid. Heh Heh Heh
As you see this roster question, that I brought up a week ago is a lot more complicated and interesting if we can't play 33 players.

Honestly, If Bochy starts Zito, I think he's crazy.

I like whose in your lineup Crackerz, and I also have reservations about Guillen, he's been on a downward swing, and Ross has been seeing the ball better and of course, can run better than a hobble. While I give you credit for an original lineup. I don't see any point in continuing Pablo at 8th, we are so hit and miss, we have to go with our hottest hands on a daily basis. While I agree with you he's started to hit in the 8th spot, there's no reason for me to assume, he won't hit well at 6th. I thought Buster was good at second, when they tried that. But I 'd probably stick with Sanchez. Who knows where we'd be in that final game if he didn't get that clutch 2 out hit. I like Uribe's power, but I can't see a .248 hitter batting cleanup when we have better alternatives. I like our players with the strongest batting averages Posey, Sanchez, and Huff batting in the top 4. I think Bochy's got that right.
War Years
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests