The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:14 pm
I agree with you about Martinez for the most part, and your probably right about Bowker but it would have been nice if he would have been able to patch up those holes in his swing and contribute his power to the lineup.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:34 am
Yeah, but the Giants were #1 (yes this is correct) in runs scored in the entire Major Leagues for the month of July. The biggest concerns with this team was the bullpen, which the giants gave up nothing good for. I think the Giants could have very easily given up too much for a bat which could have been risky, and eventually not worth pursuing.

So although another bat is probably needed, the cost was just not worth it.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:06 pm
We definitely shredded the base paths in July, but I'm far from sold on our lineup - there's still going to be a lot of sub 4 run games for us ahead. I agree with you and the decision to help out the bullpen and not just get a rental bat, I initially didn't like the value we got. I like Lopez - he's a lefty with excellent numbers but I wasn't to happy about Ramirez until I saw his career numbers which are really good - lets just hope he can return to form because 2010 hasn't been to good to him thus far.

Anyways Giants (Cain) vs Dodgers (Kershaw) tonight @ 5 on ESPN - Lets close out the sweep! I'm personally hoping that Posey has a good game to help his case for ROY.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:43 pm
Here comes brian wilson.... lets get this sweep!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:08 am
Nice win in extra innings tonight and our bullpen looked damn good. did anyone else hear the Brian Wilson interview on The Jungle (Jim Rome's radio show) today? It was one of the funniest interviews i've heard on there in a while.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:24 pm
I heard part of the interview... the part that was aired in Jim Rome's TV show. It was cool to see Rome has respect for Wilson and his work ethic.

BTW, lil beast has been inconsistant as of late. I know he has lost that velocity of the past (and he probably will never get it back), but he struggled with location yesterday for his worst start in his career. Hopefully he can bounce back and retool as a pitcher. If not, then the lincicum dominance of old might have gone away (I still think he can be a solid starter for years, just maybe as an elite pitcher, he is beginning to regress).
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:43 pm
So Giants get Fontenot and Jose Guillen.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:27 pm
TheBodyGuard wrote:So Giants get Fontenot and Jose Guillen.

Yup.

I blame tonight's loss on Sanchez's dumbass predicting a sweep - yeah a sweep for them :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:00 am
JREED23 wrote:
TheBodyGuard wrote:So Giants get Fontenot and Jose Guillen.

Yup.

I blame tonight's loss on Sanchez's dumbass predicting a sweep - yeah a sweep for them :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Looking at the stats of the Padres bullpen.... just ridiculous. They essentially got 2 set-up men before Bell and all three of them are so dominant. POint is, you need to take the lead over the padres by the 6th inning or else it will be incredibly difficult to bust through that great bullpen.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:23 am
Guillen is another bat. Now if Sanchez would shut the f*ck up and start batting .320 or something than we'd be good. We have no speed or hit for average players on the team aside from Posey ... we are horrible at manufacturing runs.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:19 am
Beast Mode wrote:Guillen is another bat. Now if Sanchez would shut the f*ck up and start batting .320 or something than we'd be good. We have no speed or hit for average players on the team aside from Posey ... we are horrible at manufacturing runs.

Torres has speed and has a nice OBP and is an excellent contact hitter. Guillen was a huge pick up and I think he might be the difference maker for us. I doubt we'll be able to catch up with the Padres the way they have been owning us, but I believe we'll be able to hang on to the wild card. Our biggest question mark is now the one area that we thought we had locked down - starting pitching and more specifically, Timmy. Man he just can't get anything going right now - 1st it was his velocity and now it's his lack of command. We wont do much in the playoffs with him laboring inning after inning, I hope he can get it figured out soon or we are in trouble.

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:53 pm
Beast Mode wrote:Guillen is another bat. Now if Sanchez would shut the f*ck up and start batting .320 or something than we'd be good. We have no speed or hit for average players on the team aside from Posey ... we are horrible at manufacturing runs.

Wait, Sanchez? Are you talking about the sweep prediction over the Padres, or another incident I don't know about? If you're talking about the quotes about the sweet, those were made by Sanchez the pitcher, not our 2B.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:25 pm
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:

Wait, Sanchez? Are you talking about the sweep prediction over the Padres, or another incident I don't know about? If you're talking about the quotes about the sweet, those were made by Sanchez the pitcher, not our 2B.

LOL yeah beast added both Sanchez's with that comment.

The quote was from out pitcher, and the lack of bat is from our 2nd baseman.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:35 pm
I meant Freddy ... either way .. throughout his day theres moments that he talks. He just needs to cut back on these moments and increase his time in the batting cage.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:24 pm
R.I.P. Bobby Thompson, The flying Scotsman. He was a great Giant, most known for "The Shot Heard Around the World".
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board