The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:51 am
JREED23 wrote:Anyone else see Eugenio Velez get drilled by that foul ball tonight? It was pretty crazy how he got instantly dropped. Kind of scary but the CT scan came back OK.

yeah, i just saw he went to the hospital. didnt see the hit. hope all is ok. another win for the g-men (unfortunately, the dodgers and padres won too).

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:22 am
congrats to jon miller getting into the hall... and for the g's coming threw late and winning a game they probably shouldnt have won... buster posey 4 hits are you serious? .360 hitter holy smokes.. what a great swing and plate dicipline.. this guy is going to be an all-star for a long time! I hope pablo takes care of business in venezuela, and comes back to old form. obviously there is alot of things on his mind with his pending divorce and such.. if we can get a mentally healthy panda, we're looking good! watch out SD! we've got as much starting pitching and more offense! our key is the bullpen. SD is money. our guys need to solidify pronto!
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:38 am
Yeah Posey has been amazing, his numbers sinces he has been starting are the best on any catcher in the MLB - I can't even imagine (or at least don't want to) where we'd be right now with out him. Sanchez needs to start accumulating some RBIs and Panda needs to get his head straight on his vacation. Bumgarner has been really impressive and I believe is easily our 4 best pitcher but our bullpen continues to put us in some sketchy situations.

I had an interesting thought and conversation the other night... Since Fielder is on the market how many of you would be down to trade Cain for Prince? Do you think the Brewers would take the deal? And do you think that might make us the favorites not only in our division but possibly the NL or even WS?
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:59 pm
We'd have the heaviest infield in baseball for sure ... I just wish the impact guy we got was something other than 1B .. that way when Posey gets his days off he can play 1B instead of just sitting completely
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:14 pm
i think it's good that he gets those days off being a catcher and all. I don't like that he is a catcher, catchers get used up quicker, I'd like to see him have a long career, but his ability behind the plate is undeniable. The way I see it is 3b, ss, 2b, c and at least 1-2 of the out field spots are locked up with Torres, Huff or maybe Rowand. So that leaves us searching for a OF or 1b - out of the guys that can be had, at those positions right now, fielder is the best.

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:55 pm
JREED23 wrote:Yeah Posey has been amazing, his numbers sinces he has been starting are the best on any catcher in the MLB - I can't even imagine (or at least don't want to) where we'd be right now with out him. Sanchez needs to start accumulating some RBIs and Panda needs to get his head straight on his vacation. Bumgarner has been really impressive and I believe is easily our 4 best pitcher but our bullpen continues to put us in some sketchy situations.

I had an interesting thought and conversation the other night... Since Fielder is on the market how many of you would be down to trade Cain for Prince? Do you think the Brewers would take the deal? And do you think that might make us the favorites not only in our division but possibly the NL or even WS?

Fielder is a free agent after this season and is represented by Scott Boras. Unless you want to give him a huge contract after this season it'd probably be smarter to look elsewhere.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:51 pm
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:
JREED23 wrote:Yeah Posey has been amazing, his numbers sinces he has been starting are the best on any catcher in the MLB - I can't even imagine (or at least don't want to) where we'd be right now with out him. Sanchez needs to start accumulating some RBIs and Panda needs to get his head straight on his vacation. Bumgarner has been really impressive and I believe is easily our 4 best pitcher but our bullpen continues to put us in some sketchy situations.

Fielder is a free agent after this season and is represented by Scott Boras. Unless you want to give him a huge contract after this season it'd probably be smarter to look elsewhere.

Apparently Fielder is a free agent after next season(??). I've always thought it was this year but I've been hearing and reading otherwise lately.

Either way no on a Cain for Fielder swap. I'm not a big fan of his and it'd be a pure rental (the guy will go to FA no matter what) of a one way player. I'd be hesitant to do a Sanchez for Fielder swap but I think that's just me be irrational. Getting Prince while giving up almost anyone on this team would make a huge difference in our standing in the league, but it'd be for only a year-and-half - that kind of decreases his value for me.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:13 am
fine wrote:
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:

Apparently Fielder is a free agent after next season(??). I've always thought it was this year but I've been hearing and reading otherwise lately.

Either way no on a Cain for Fielder swap. I'm not a big fan of his and it'd be a pure rental (the guy will go to FA no matter what) of a one way player. I'd be hesitant to do a Sanchez for Fielder swap but I think that's just me be irrational. Getting Prince while giving up almost anyone on this team would make a huge difference in our standing in the league, but it'd be for only a year-and-half - that kind of decreases his value for me.

I always thought there was an additional year too... well, if thats the case (i.e. he is a rental), then I wouldnt want to give much up
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:20 pm
Rather someone like Jayson Werth ... or maybe some of these studs on my fantasy team:

Rickie Weeks
Brennan Boesch
Delmon Young

these dudes have been killin it for me
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:47 pm
Beast Mode wrote:Rather someone like Jayson Werth ... or maybe some of these studs on my fantasy team:

Rickie Weeks
Brennan Boesch
Delmon Young

Weeks could have been had, but not now. Bosch and Young are both young, cheap and huge parts of their current teams future plans.

in my keeper league, I have all these guys for $0 moving forward.

B. Harper, Mike Stanton, Posey, Carlos Santana, Matt Latos, Cahill, Joe Nathan, Bumgardner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:52 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:Rather someone like Jayson Werth ... or maybe some of these studs on my fantasy team:

Rickie Weeks
Brennan Boesch
Delmon Young

Weeks could have been had, but not now. Bosch and Young are both young, cheap and huge parts of their current teams future plans.

B. Harper, Mike Stanton, Posey, Carlos Santana, Matt Latos, Cahill, Joe Nathan, Bumgardner

damn, you will be good for a long time.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:56 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:

Rickie Weeks
Brennan Boesch
Delmon Young

damn, you will be good for a long time.

took some good drafting in previous years when I got Cahill, Stanton and Santana and good Salary dumps this year, moved a huge package of players for Bumgardner, Nathan and Brennan Boesch, traded Ubaldo straight up for Posey, moved Jose Valverde for Latos, then luckily all those salary dumps lead me to last place the day before midseason draft so I got to select Bryce Harper #1 overall. I will probably hold onto most of those guys for another year, once they are active their salary rapidly increases and they can only be kept for 3 seasons. I want all of them to be in teh bigs together so I can smash on my league.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:14 pm
My squad [10 team league at work]

C: Buster Posey
1B: Joey Votto
2B: Ricky weeks
3B: Alex Rodriguez
SS: Elvis Andrus
OF: Delmon Young
OF: Matt Holiday
OF: Shane Victorino
Utility: Paul Konerko
Bench: Brennan Boesch

Thats a damn good line up right there. Finally starting to turn it on ...

Here's my pitchers [focused more on these this year, thats why only 1 bench hitter]:

SP Cliff Lee
SP Matt Latos
SP Ricky Romero
RP John Axford
RP Rafael Soriano
P Francisco Cordero
Bench: Phil Hughes
Bench: Francisco Liriano
Bench: Mike Pelfrey
Bench: Madison Bumgarner
Bench: Max Scherzer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:04 pm
As many of you probably know by now we got relief pitchers, left-hander Javier Lopez from the Pittsburgh Pirates and right-hander Ramon Ramirez from the Boston Red Sox for John Bowker and Joe Martinez and Daniel Turpen. I think we made a bad deal here although I agree with adding to our bullpen - we gave up youth for older relief pitchers that wont likely have much of an impact.

I know Bowker struggled in the big leagues but I'll be willing to bet that he ends up being a more than productive player. Martinez didn't look like he was going to be much more than a 5th starter in a below average rotation. I don't know much about Turpen but at the age of 23 with a 5-5 record and a 4.09 ERA in double A he doesn't seem like much of a loss.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:42 pm
Bowker and Martinez were never going to do much with this squad. ever. I dunno much about Turpen, but this team didnt really need him. All in all, we got what we needed in 2 relievers (including a lefty) for 2 career minor leaguers and a mid level prospect.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board