The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:37 pm
I say they bring sanchez back up to the bigs and give him a shot, he cant do any worse than anyone we have in the pen right now...

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:21 pm
correia has a good arm, pretty good stuff, but he is still relatively inexperienced in the pen, only his second full season. half the bullpen is inexperienced. thats alot of the problem. its going to take a while, maybe even a season or two to define some roles.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:00 am
ChronicallyInclined wrote:correia has a good arm

Yes, but he has a good arm in the same way that Tascher has a good arm: for the first two batters, they're fine (usually good for one strikeout and one pop out)... and then they're just hurling meat balls. Taschner and Correa both have a knack for throwing really hard, really fast and gassing their arms after an inning of work. Anything past 3 batters for either of them usually spells trouble for the Giants.

This is the SECOND WALK-OFF HOMERUN that Kevin Correa has given up IN A ROW!

Why'd Bochy use Vinnie Chulk so early? That guy's been pitching very well lately... and continued it last night. He would have made a great closer last night because he's a ground-ball pitcher! Hell, even Taschner had a decent outing! But Correa?? 11 earned runs in 26 innings this season!! That's sorry...

I'm tired of watching Correa go out there, punch ONE guy out, and then give up a run. He does it CONSTANTLY. In fact, he's given up 6 runs in his last 15 outings! That means that nearly HALF the time we go to him, he's giving up a run! And he never pitches more than TWO innings a night (most of the time, its just ONE).

Correa has had his chance. Now its time to dump him back down to the minors and give Sanchez a chance at it. He can't do any worse, as dubs said.

... On a related note, Bruce Bochy has named Brad Hennesey the Giant's closer. Isn't that great. Hennesey's currently giving up 1 run every 3 innings he pitches and has blown 1 of his 3 save opportunities so far. I can't WAIT to see this one pan out... :roll: :banghead:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:56 pm
Brad Hennessy can be a good closer, last time I checked, everyone in the BP sucked... Just that Correria and Taschner sucked more... :banghead:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:45 pm
If I had my choice, here's how I'd rank WHO SHOULD BE the Giant's closer:

1. Tim Lincecum. It saves his arm for next year, allows him to grow, and gives him a role on the team. Ortiz, Lowry, and Morris are all pitching well (and you can't yank Cain or Zito from the rotation), so I'd say put Lincecum in as closer and let him start next year. Of course, Bochy's already ruled this option out...

2. Jonathan Sanchez. It just makes way too much sense; he's usually lights out at the start of ballgames, he's got zero role (unless you consider 'Fresno' a role), and he's got great stuff. He's a finese pitcher, too, so he won't **** up as much. The Giants need a reliable arm. This is their guy.

3. Russ Ortiz. If you're gonna yank him from the rotation, at least let him close every night. He's got the stamina to last 7-8 innings a week. Pitching 4 or 5 innings in a closer spot every week shouldn't hurt his arm from over-use. Its a horrible waste to simply plant Ortiz in the bullpen and use him once every blue moon. He's too good to be a Steve Kline guy lost in the mix. For Christ's sakes, he's got the potential to be an ace on some teams! He shouldn't be without a role.

4. Vinnie Chulk. See Jonathan Sanchez, but think less glamorous. Chulk doesn't have Sanchez' better pitches, but he's a helluva ground ball guy and usually pretty damn reliable. Sure, some games Chulk can just straight lose it, but at least he doesn't chuck up meatballs like a strikeout pitcher would. And I don't like the idea of burning our most reliable ground ball pitcher every few games in the 7th inning. Plus, he's hot right now. Let him close.

5. Brad Hennesey. He'll do a decent job, but definately not as good as anybody listed above. I can see Hennesy's current statistics being spot-on about him; it seems like he's lost every 3rd game, but the games he DOES pitch well are impressive. He has the potential to be a damn good closer, but his head might get in the way.

6. Randy Messenger. After seeing him pitch last night, I'm excited about the big guy. He was blowing his fastball right by many of the DBack's players... and the best part is, that's not even his game! He's a sinker/slider guy with good controll! That's exactly what the Giants' need in the closer spot! I think the big dude would be a good choice, should we explore other options outside of Hennesy.

7. Jack Taschner. Just make sure the game's in the bag before you bring him in, as his value drops tenfold every 3 batters he faces. But the first three guys will usually include a strikeout or two.

8. Kevin Correa. He showed promise in relief roles early last year, but the end to his season (not to mention, the beginning of this year) has all but changed my mind about him. Correa seems like another Felix Rodriguez who just wants to throw the ball as fast as he can and rack up a lot of strikeouts in limited innings. He's shown that he's best suited for a 7th or 8th inning role, but not as a closer. Yank him in the 9th or he'll lose it.

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:56 pm
I would be hesitant about putting Ortiz as closer. Ya he has great stamina, but usually a closer has to have killer stuff that can last like 2 innings, Ortiz is more of an inning eater to me.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:16 pm
Dubs4life wrote:I would be hesitant about putting Ortiz as closer. Ya he has great stamina, but usually a closer has to have killer stuff that can last like 2 innings, Ortiz is more of an inning eater to me.

I'd agree with that... I just don't like the fact that he's sitting on the bench without a role right now. And I'd also argue that Ortiz has FAR better stuff than Hennesy, Correa, or Taschner.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:53 pm
I like Lincecum as closer. Just not going to happen though, but still pretty nice idea. His fastball would destroy batters in the clutch. His 98-100 mph fastballs don't come 'til the mid-innings though. Still, pretty cool idea there.

Correia and Taschner are two guys I do not want to see out there for a while. Those two have helped remind the Giants and their fans that Benitez is still somehow there.

If it were up to me, I'd try Sanchez at closer first. If not, Chulk would be my second option. Honestly, our pen for now should be Ortiz, Chulk, Kline, Messenger, and Sanchez. The rest need to just leave for couple games, seriously.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:20 pm
Wow, fool...

Matt Morris is taking a loss after matching the reigning Cy Young winner pitch-for-pitch and only giving up ONE fuckin run...

You can't tell me you wouldn't trade Noah Lowry for some goddamn run support. One fuckin run is too much to ask!? What kinda bullshit is that??!
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:07 pm
Man, tough loss and very upsetting. You gotta feel for Matt Morris on this (ala Matt Cain)—and Morris has simply been pitching great.

We need a big bat yesterday, and Sabean’s gotta get it in gear!

Outside A-Rod (whom I covet and still a dream) what are the rumors on getting a big bat now? And yes, I’d trade Lowry. I love the guy, but he'll be the first I'd give up (to upgrade), and we really have no choice.

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:27 pm
Haha, ya this team needs quite a bit, A bullpen, another big bat... oh well at least we have the starters...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:55 pm
I think we should start worrying far more about getting more run support rather than fixing our pen. Benitez's departure should be all this year, it's time to focus on getting a compliment hitter with Bonds. No way are we going to make the postseason if our offense keeps this up.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:09 am
xbaywarrior wrote:I think we should start worrying far more about getting more run support rather than fixing our pen. Benitez's departure should be all this year, it's time to focus on getting a compliment hitter with Bonds. No way are we going to make the postseason if our offense keeps this up.

Agreed. The Giant's bullpen is halfway decent. Guys like Chulk, Messenger, and the recently called-up Jonathan Sanchez (not to mention, Russ Ortiz when he returns from the DL) have proven that they can pitch. Its just guys like Correa, Hennesy, and Taschner that are fuckin us up.

But, even then, you gotta have run support. That 1-0 loss for Matt Morris has got to be the worst fuckin game I've seen all year. The Giants didn't have ANYBODY who was a threat. Guys like Duram, Klesko, and Molina are all decent batters, but they aren't meant to be 3/4 hitters. The only cleanup hitters we have are Bonds and Aurillia... and even Aurillia isn't really a threat to go yard (he just bats .300). Like I said before, the Giants need another RBI hitter, somebody who can knock in 90-100 ribbies a year and clock 25 or more dingers. And we should trade Lowry (whose pitching hot lately) in order to attain that guy.

Is Travis Hafner happy with Cleveland? One of my friends said there's a rumor of him having major drama with Eric Wedge...?

I'd love to get Hafner in exchange for Lowry, Klesko, and Kline.

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:39 am
I doubt Clevland would trade Hafner, hes young, the Indians are in the playoff race, and hes damn good.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:16 pm
Dubs4life wrote:I doubt Clevland would trade Hafner, hes young, the Indians are in the playoff race, and hes damn good.

How about Ichiro!!! hahaha, and while we are fantasizing, how about, Lowry. Feliz, and Sanchez for Dontrelle Willis (At least he can hit) haha
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board